“Solid Greek Food for the Area”
Review of Cafe Athens

Cafe Athens
Ranked #15 of 242 Restaurants in Loveland
Cuisines: Mediterranean, Greek
Good for: Kids, Child-friendly
Lakewood, Colorado
“Solid Greek Food for the Area”
Reviewed 4 July 2014

I ended up at Cafe Athens as the by product of a traffic jam on I25. We did a search on restaurants nearby and decided to wait out the traffic jam having lunch.

It was a little difficult to find the place as it's in a strip mall, but after some hunting and pecking we located Cafe Athens and it looks clean and relatively new. We were seated quickly and the staff was friendly and prompt. There were four of us (two adults and two kids) our waitress showed up right away and took our drink orders and was back in short time to get our lunch order.

They had a pretty standard kids menu (Gyro, burger, chicken nuggets, pizza, grilled cheese, etc) and one of the kids ordered the Gyro and one ordered the chicken nuggets. We had the option of a beef or chicken on the Gyro and it was nice to see that it came with a good sized salad and fries (which were cooked to perfection). The Chicken nuggets were standard out-of-the freezer chicken nuggets.

Us adults started with Saganaki. It was a good sized piece of cheese, but had a good quantity of Brandy that kept on burning after the staff left, leaving us to blow it out. It was a little boozy and the kids, who usually love Saganaki, wouldn't eat it. We ended up draining it on a separate plate to try and make it a little less boozy.

My wife got the Gyro and a greek salad. The Gyro was tender, tasty and flavorful. It was right where we would expect it to be for a greek restaurant but have had better tasting Gyro's and have worse tasting Gyro's. She also rated the greek salad as "OK". It came with Tzatziki dressing by default (they didn't ask about other options) which was not what she usually has on her greek salads.

I had the pastichio with fries. Their pastichio serving was a good size portion and came with a side salad with a couple of strips of Gyro meat. The fries were outstanding, crisp, flavorful and cooked perfect. However the pastichio was a little dry and on the bland side, even with the side of marinara.

Overall we came away feeling that the food was OK. We're not familiar with the area so this may be the best, or only, greek food in town in which case this place would certainly satisfy your greek food craving.

• Visited July 2014
1 Thank FlyingSux

• Greek first
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
“Amazing gyro”
Reviewed 28 June 2014

This is by far the best chicken gyro I've ever had. The pita is amazing, fresh, warm, soft. The chicken is amazing, juicy, tender, flavorful. Yum.

The falafel is quite possibly the worst I've ever had. Hard as a rock, not a great flavor, but luckily the gyro was awesome enough to make up for it.

Visited May 2014
Durango, Colorado
“My FAVORITE”
Reviewed 31 May 2014

I've said it here before and I will say it again.....Cafe Athens is my favorite, favorite, favorite. Fresh food, very fast service, chicken is crazy flavorful. And the French Fries?? HOW do they DO that? Service is SPOT ON.

Visited May 2014
Windsor, Colorado
“Great place!”
Reviewed 13 May 2014

This review is for the Loveland restaurant, but just as easily could be for the Fort Collins restaurant. It is the same family that owns these and they both have wonderful food, served by friendly staff quickly and for a fair price. I have never had a bad meal at either place and anytime someone comes into town, I take them here. So far, everyone that I have brought to Cafe Athens has said the same thing - Great food!

I will definitely continue to dine at Cafe Athens!!

• Visited May 2014
“Great Greek Food”
Reviewed 10 May 2014

I make it a point to eat at this restaurant when I am in loveland. I have been to Greece and the food here is every bit as tasty. Recommend you take time to grab a bite at this restaurant!

Visited April 2014