“Great food, great service, awful music, mediocre surroundings”
Review of Matsuri - CLOSED

Matsuri
Cuisines: Sushi, Japanese
Reviewed 12 September 2011

The bad news first: this place looks like a diner inside - no atmosphere at all. And for some reason, instead of playing classical Japanese music in the background, they seem to think the greatest hits of the '70s and '80s are just the ticket. Fail.

But the food is terrific. I believe the sushi chef who owns the restaurant used to be the chef at Sushi Zanmai in Boulder. Anyway, he is THAT good. The service is equally good.

Now if they'd just hang a few lanterns and change the music, maybe I could get my wife to go back....

1  Thank techperson

Reviewed 27 July 2009

Took a friend from Japan to this local place. It is new and I had eaten there before, but have no background that would allow me to evaluate the quality of the Japanese food.

My wife and I like a lot - but what do we know? My friend from Japan DID know. He said the place is great. When he comes back to the USA later this year with his father, they will visit us and we'll all go to Matsuri.

We live 10 minutes out of Boulder with all its great places to eat - so his reaction is quite an endorsement.

1  Thank FoothilsGuy
Reviewed 27 July 2009

Last week, my husband and another couple dined at Matsuri. We had a fantastic meal! The other gentleman with us owns an upscale restaurant in Boulder, so I was a little wary of bringing him to our local sushi house. He was truly impressed. Everything we ordered was fresh tasting and exciting. We left a couple of our sushi choices up to the chef, and he didn't disappoint us. The service was attentive and the sake warm and delicious. I can't wait to return. The prices were fair for fresh sushi and I looked at the lunch items and they were a deal.

1  Thank leroy21