“It's Great to be Wrong”

Cuisines: Sushi, Japanese
Felton, California
“It's Great to be Wrong”
Reviewed 20 September 2012

We're visiting for the first time, and even tho recommended, I was doubtful as Darby K sez it all: "Colorado's Front Range.....town of 1300...fresh fish" Well, like the melting of snow, my doubt began as we walked thru the door and were greeted warmly, and had specials described to us, which we chose along with my wife getting the yam garlic soup. The soup was so balanced, flavorful and logical, it was like discovering an old delicious friend. The Rock and Roll Jalapenos appetizer: bonaroo banzai! Some other reviews suggest driving from Boulder is worth the trip: only if you like really creative great tasting sushi.

• Visited September 2012

Longmont, Colorado
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Awesome!”
Reviewed 22 May 2012

Amazing sushi and great service. Matsuri is a great place to visit after swimming in the river!

Visited March 2012
1 Thank Abby L
Lyons, CO
“Unlikely success - outstanding traditional fare.”
Reviewed 4 May 2012

I live in Lyons. When I heard we were getting a sushi restaurant, I shuddered. Colorado's Front Range......town of 1300.......fresh fish.

Ya know what? This place is good. VERY good. I guess it's both a sign of the times (better delivery and distribution) and of the generally wider acceptance of ethnic food.

The owner (Taka) used to be the "sushi machine" at one of Boulder's best sushi houses and he's doing even better here, with his wife, Yumi, working the floor. They are simply great people, in addition to running a fine sushi house.

After becoming a regular, I mentioned one day that a certain fish might not be up to his usual standards. He took it out of the cooler, looked at it and I heard a "hmmmm." The next time I came in, he said he changed vendors and wanted me to try that day's delivery. In my opinion, those types of things really prove that chefs and owners are dedicated to quality.

Even more surprising, these folks that started carrying Wakatake Onikoroshi junmai daiginjo for me, It's not a sake many people order (like maybe no one else coming to Matsuri), but they always seems to have a bottle or two available for us. Again - its that extra touch that makes a difference.

I recommend the more traditional fare here. The prices have held the line (this place is a fantastic vale), the nigiri is of high quality. The best value on the menu might be the chirashi bowl, though I find I prefer simple nigiri most of the time. The food from the back of the house has been excellent and consistent - I wish I had Aki's touch with tempura.

In the end, its not necessary to fear sushi in the mountains. Who woulda thought?

• Visited April 2012
Longmont, CO
“Great food, great service, awful music, mediocre surroundings”
Reviewed 12 September 2011

The bad news first: this place looks like a diner inside - no atmosphere at all. And for some reason, instead of playing classical Japanese music in the background, they seem to think the greatest hits of the '70s and '80s are just the ticket. Fail.

But the food is terrific. I believe the sushi chef who owns the restaurant used to be the chef at Sushi Zanmai in Boulder. Anyway, he is THAT good. The service is equally good.

Now if they'd just hang a few lanterns and change the music, maybe I could get my wife to go back....

• Visited July 2011
1 Thank techperson
Colorado
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Incredible Sushi Place”
Reviewed 27 July 2009

Took a friend from Japan to this local place. It is new and I had eaten there before, but have no background that would allow me to evaluate the quality of the Japanese food.

My wife and I like a lot - but what do we know? My friend from Japan DID know. He said the place is great. When he comes back to the USA later this year with his father, they will visit us and we'll all go to Matsuri.

We live 10 minutes out of Boulder with all its great places to eat - so his reaction is quite an endorsement.

1 Thank FoothilsGuy