“Elegant, yet casual and comfortable!”
Review of Black Bear Inn - CLOSED

Black Bear Inn
Price range: US$10 - US$30
Cuisines: American, German
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Description: Since 1977 it has been our pleasure serving you and we look forward to continuing to provide the excellence in both our cuisine and our service that you have come to expect from The Black Bear Inn in Lyons, Colorado. We would like to thank our guests for their years of support and patronage and welcome new ones to our Black Bear Family. Old World charm our pleasure and a priceless combination of food, wine, cocktails and imported beers make dining at this European-American style restaurant and on the east edge of Lyons and unforgettable experience. Dining only 20 minutes from either Boulder, Longmont, or Estes Park
Colorful Colorado, United States
“Elegant, yet casual and comfortable!”
Reviewed 5 March 2014

It was great to drive by and see that this Iconic Lyons Restaurant advertising for a "Soft Opening" after all the flooding in this area. We stopped in on a Sunday afternoon for an early lunch and although the menu is limited at this time, everything that our party of 3 ordered was made to perfection, from the homemade mushroom soup to the perfect ending to our delicious meals, the apple strudel with ice cream! The moment we walked in we were greeted by a genuinely sweet lady, the owner came to our table as soon as we were seated and our server was the sweetest woman you would ever like to meet, she was so attentive but not intrusive. She made you feel like you were a visitor in her own home! If you haven't tried this quaint restaurant, make a point to stop in, everyone there will make you feel right at home and you will leave with a wonderful taste in your mouth!

• Visited March 2014
1 Thank GraceMountain

Mead, Colorado
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Black Bear Reopened!”
Reviewed 24 January 2014

My family has been dining at the Black Bear Inn my whole life. We were very sad to see it closed down due to the September 2013 Flood.

It has now reopened. We made sure to stop in on their opening weekend. I highly recommend the Flat Iron Steak and Creme Carmel.

They have a full bar and wonderful appetizers. My favorite always was the fried cheese with lingonberries.

Visited January 2014
Aurora, Colorado
“Old World Charm, revived”
Reviewed 12 January 2014

In response to a 9News segment announcing the soft reopening of the restaurant following the September flood, I chose to include the Black Bear Inn on a return trip from Aurora to Ft. Collins and Loveland. The route to Lyons from I-25 is very easy, so although I was apprehensive about the distance, it's actually quite convenient, just west of CO66 on US36.

I didn't expect the hostess to be the owner from TV, and was quite surprised at her friendly reception, considering it was an opening night.

The food selected from the menu for the occasion was incredible. My friend and I started with the Mushroom Risotto Balls, which was the perfect beginning to the meal. Next, I enjoyed the House Salad, laced with just the right amount of a tasty dressing. My friend chose the Potato Mushroom Soup, which he insisted I sample, as he would've been happy with just a large bowl of that as his meal. Regardless, he chose the Bratwurst, which was accompanied with the home fried potatoes, apple-essence sauerkraut, and a light, flavorful sauce. Even the baguette and butter were of the finest quality.

I selected the Wiener Schnitzel with the home fries and steamed Brussels Sprouts; an unexpected, tasty treat complimented by Dijon mustard. The meal definitely changed my mind regarding how stereotypically heavy German food can be. The portions were just right, as were the prices. Granted, it was a special occasion for the owners, and priced accordingly, although even a $15-30+ entree (I glanced at the online menu between courses) would have well deserved the price. The staff was friendly and efficient, everyone tending to each table at a comfortably relaxing pace.

The evening special was not selected, but a neighboring patron devoured her filet medallions with shrimp and scallops. We opted out of having cocktails, but it was easy to see how the other guests delighted at the varied beer and wine offerings. Since I was driving, I chose to skip drinking my calories and leave my New Year's resolution in the car. Creme Caramel was the special dessert, so we shared it...along with an order or Apple Struedel a la mode.

I've noticed the Black Bear Inn on previous trips to Estes Park, but never stopped. Having mentioned it to others in the Loveland area who "haven't been there in a hundred years," I didn't know what to expect. The decor is modest, yet rustic and charming. The atmosphere is a pleasant blend of Old World and Colorado. And although immaculate, all my attention went to the meal and service. I now know that it's too easy to miss these little gems. Sometimes the sights on the journey should be the destination. In the future, I may choose to actually stay at the Inn after dining there, which will be soon.

• Visited January 2014
Boulder County
“Family and Friends from AZ”
Reviewed 25 August 2013

A party of 8 and we enjoyed a wonderful 3 hour meal. The service was great and Friendly. Everyone in the party was very pleased with their meal. Very professional and pleasant. Beautiful setting. We will visit again - more than once again.

• Visited August 2013
Cedar Park, Texas
“Quaint, but being sold, food is lame and not worth it”
Reviewed 13 August 2013

We stopped at this intriguing inn for lunch on the way to the mountains. It looked quaint, if a bit worn around the edges, and we were enthusiastic about trying the Bavarian cuisine. The a/c was not on, but it was not unpleasantly hot. There was no cell service, which was an inconvenience. The server was pleasant, and told us the bread was still in the oven, and she would bring it as soon as it came out. People around us got bread, but we never did. I asked for bottled water, as theirs was just unfiltered tap water, and she brought the smallest bottle of Perrier I had ever seen, and I've had it all over the world. It was a mini bottle. My husband and I decided against the pork German dish, as she described it as very spicy. I don't remember ever tasting spicy German food. We were in a hurry so settled on what appeared to be an appealing grilled salmon sandwich. We had separate requests (no mayo for me, no fries or bacon for him), and when they arrived, they were completely mixed up and wrong, and impossible to just switch sandwiches and make right. They also arrived with an undisclosed huge complete slice of raw white onion in the center, which made everything smell like that, and even taste like that when removed. The sandwich was basic diner fare--two slices of plain white bread slightly toasted, then they just shoved in a small piece of salmon, lettuce, tomato, a slice of bacon and that huge piece of onion. The fries were totally unremarkable, and looked as though they weren't fried long enough. On the way out (we ate quickly, as the sandwiches were almost tasteless), I picked up what I thought was a brochure on the table, but it was a flyer showing the restaurant was for sale for $900,000. Hmmm, I would say their heart or cooking flair just isn't in it any more, if it ever was. We would not return under this management.

• Visited August 2013