“Horrible Place To Stay”

Stone Mountain Lodge & Cabins
Minneapolis, Minnesota
“Horrible Place To Stay”
Reviewed 7 July 2014

This place is dirty, small, and uncomfortable. The room had a funky fungal odor to it. The floors were disgusting and turned our socks dark brown by walking around indoors. The beds were uncomfortable. The shower stalls were tiny. The air conditioner barely functioned at all. We got very poor quality sleep while we were here. Staff were very unhelpful, we asked for new towels since they didn't clean our room between the nights and they never brought them.

We were here for a wedding, so I will say that it was a great location for a wedding and reception. We had a lot of fun at the wedding and it was great spot for it, but not a good place to sleep.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
5 Thank Leftstriker00

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Napa Valley, California
Reviewed 6 July 2014

We recently stayed at this motel when in Lyons for a long awaited family reunion. Hadn't had time to look at some of the reviews and since other lodging was closed due to the flood, there really was no choice.

Having driven 10 long and hot hours that day, we arrived and had hoped to freshen up with a shower. The water wasn't running and we were told it would be in a few hours. After visiting family in Lyons we returned to our room only to find the water still wasn't running properly. We were told by the maintenance manager who lives on the property to contact him with any problems, so we did. It was 10PM and we felt badly doing this but were annoyed we still couldn't have a shower. The maintenance manager and his wife were incredibly service-minded and pleasant to deal with. Too bad the Manager wasn't as well.

Our bed was not made two days in a row. After the first night my husband pointed this out. Considering we were the only guests at the time, it was hard to understand why not. On day two the bed was again unmade, apparently because the maid had mistaken a blue throw pillow on the bed for a shirt (!). The house rules state no beds will be made if clothing left on them. Really. We've travelled extensively in this country and abroad and have never run into this anywhere else. It's very strange to say the least.

This is a very convenient spot for Lyons but really is, as one reviewer states, more of a Motel 6 with nothing even vaguely luxurious about it and yes, it is right smack on hwy #36.

After the inconvenience of the lack of water and the bed not being made, when our family decided to extend the reunion by a day, I had asked the very nice, young receptionist if we could stay another night for a reduced rate.

(I've been in the hotel business as Front Office Manager of a 5-star chain and would certainly have offered this given the inconvenience and poor service.) The Manger, who was in the back office didn't even have the courtesy to meet with me but instructed the rather embarrassed receptionist to say I could have the room for an additional night but no discount would be made for things beyond their control. We're still wondering what that meant. :)

As there is no alternative accommodation in the area and my nephew's home and guest house were already full with family, we had no choice but to stay.

Our overall experience was not wonderful but glad to see some of those whose wedding was held here were happy. If any other accommodations re-open, I'd check those out before staying here.

Enterprise
Reviewed 2 July 2014

My daughter brought us here to show us where her wedding was going to be held. It was absolutely beautiful. Smaller than it appeared on the computer though. The rental tent was very large and will be perfect. The ducks walking around the property were so cute. The little pond was a bit dirtier than I would like it, but this is nature. The mountain side butts up to the property and is beautiful. It has a charming little walkover bridge, great for pictures. I think it will be great, we have booked rooms at the lodge, for the wedding. They looked pretty small in person, but the price was good. The cabins were pretty big.

New Orleans, Louisiana
Reviewed 30 June 2014

If you do not like artificial scents, this is not the place for you. Though I love the proximity to Lyons and the fact that they don't force a 2-night minimum (a rarity here), we won't be returning.

Over the past 2 years, my husband and I have stayed in 89 hotels, cabins, cottages, tree houses, huts, and apartments in the US and Central America. We understand rustic, we understand posh, and we're generally not demanding people. Our experience at Stone Mountain was not worth $200. In fact, a hut I stayed in in Mexico with cockroaches and scorpions and a hostel in Costa Rica in which the air was thick with mildew were both better experiences than our stay in Cabin 20.

And this is why: the chemical smell. Even after I removed the plug-in air freshener, and we opened all of the windows, turned on the fan, and left for a few hours, the unit was still saturated with a chemical smell. Additionally, the walls were paper-thin and we could hear our neighbors all night.

Do I think this place was horrible? No. It's 2-3 stars. For $200, I want 5 stars. But that's what I get for not doing better research. $200 is big splurge money for us, so we don't want to have to come home and do laundry instantly and air out our backpacks outside for 3 days as to not stink up our apartment. I'd pay $90 max, and then my expectations would be in the right place.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Denver
Reviewed 28 June 2014

While looking for a quick get away for my husband and two boys (ages 5 and 2) I came across the site for Stone Mountain Lodge. Upon arrival we were pleasantly surprised. We were greeted by extremely friendly staff who were nothing but helpful and accommodating.

Since this was our first visit we opted to stay in a less expensive (and much less private) lodge room. We stayed in lodge room 12. From the outside it looks like just another motel, but once you step inside you will find a mini fridge, mini range, sink, dining table with two chairs, pull out sofa, and a queen/full bed.
We had utensils in that unit, but some of them don't, so be sure you check while booking that you get a room that includes utensils if you need them. The room was small with two adults and two kids, but totally manageable and cozy.

It's not the cleanest shower in the world, but when staying in the mountains with my little guys I wasn't expecting the Ritz!

The Pool: The outdoor pool was a comfortable 72 degrees and we were able to enjoy it for hours up until an afternoon storm forced us out. They had multiple propane grills ready for use around the pool and next time when we come and stay longer, we will take advantage of that! They had fresh pool towels available for use while at the pool as well. They were the perfect size for my boys - so if you're like me and enjoy using a towel the size of Texas, bring your own!

The Duck/Fishing Pond: My boys couldn't wait to get out and fish! This was a huge reason we chose to stay here. While fishing we saw quite a few large fish, however none were interested enough to bite. My husband and the boys tried again later that night after the storm passed. While out there one of the grounds ducks kept trying to go after my husbands bobber. He decided to reel in his line to avoid catching the silly bird, however as he did this the duck dove down and attacked his powerbait. The hook caught the poor guy and tore the line, leaving the hook somewhere in his bill.
Everyone felt horrible, but no one took it harder than my five year old son. I could hear his cries from the lodge room (and it's NOT very close!). I ran down to the pond to find him full of tears and sobbing that he was so worried about the duck, that they hurt the duck, etc. It took a ton of cuddles and time to calm my soft hearted son down.
After he fell asleep we found someone who worked at the lodge, and lucky for us, her husband is the one who feeds and cares for the ducks. We informed her of what happened and offered to pay for any medical expenses for the duck. She was kind to us, and asked if our son was alright, and even offered to send us an email letting us know how the duck was so that we could read it to our boy.
Long story, but I wanted to let other families be warned! The fishing pond is full of fish, but also full of friendly ducks. If you're fishing and the ducks start paying attention to your line, put it away for a while until the ducks go elsewhere. My little one wanted to fish again in the morning, but when we walked down there and he saw 4 ducks in the pond he quickly changed his mind.

Hiking Trail: We didn't use it, when we found it, we found it was a bit overgrown - if we had brought bug spray we would have walked it. Next time!

Overall it was an enjoyable, relaxing trip, next time we will stay in a cabin for more privacy. Cabin 17 is located behind the pool and looks to be the most private, it has 2 bdrms and a pull out sofa in the living room.

Keep in mind this lodge is used for a ton of weekend weddings! Make sure you book in advance and know that if you stay there over the weekend you might be busier than you bargained for.

Room Tip: Cabin 17 is private, but comes with A LOT of stairs!
1 Thank Kayla G
Grand Junction, United States
Reviewed 23 June 2014

I'm not sure there are many places that could compare to the surroundings at Stone Mountain Lodge. It was an absolutely beautiful wedding venue. The staff was so attentive, they were always available with answers to the many questions we had. We felt like we were in very good hands the entire time. We had 25 family members staying in various Lodge rooms and cabins and everyone was happy. The rooms are older and not for those who are looking for high rent hotel rooms. This only added to the charm of the property, it was a fantastic experience!

Boulder, Colorado
Reviewed 4 June 2014

We reserved the back cabin for memorial day. When we got to the property, we discovered that 1) it's right off hwy 36 and not scenic really; 2) the cabin we reserved is not handicap accessible and has 22 stairs to get to it; and 3) the cabin stunk strongly of some unidentifiable odor. The saving grace was that the manager was super nice and helpful when we told her that I was on crutches and couldn't be going up and down 22 stairs. She refunded our money and even offered to help us find another property for our stay.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Jeninden
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lyons
Holiday Inn Express Longmont
Candlewood Suites Longmont
Candlewood Suites Longmont
#8 of 14 in Longmont
Hampton Inn & Suites Boulder - North
Best Western Plus Plaza Hotel
Peaceful Valley Resort and Conference Center
Super 8 Longmont/Twin Peaks

Been to Stone Mountain Lodge & Cabins? Share your experiences!