“Outdated and in need of repairs and upgrades.”

Stone Mountain Lodge & Cabins
Reviewed 11 August 2014

This place is very outdated and in need of major repairs and updates. The cabins are better then the rooms. All of the rooms should be torn down and rebuilt. I'm surprised they passed fire code. There are very few electrical outlets and none in the bathrooms. The carpet is worn and needs replaced. There were cobwebs all over the place. There is a pool if you want to call it one. The water in the duck pond was cleaner then the pool. The prices they charge to stay here are too high for what you get.

Room Tip: If your going to stay here stay in one of the cabins.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Sarah H
stonemountainlodge, General Manager at Stone Mountain Lodge & Cabins, responded to this reviewResponded 25 November 2014

Thank you for allowing us the time to keep you informed of the new upgrades we are doing at Stone Mountain Lodge. With the flood that happened wiping out our town, it's no secret that a lot of the money we had listed for repairs in 2013/2014 was used to keep the business afloat. Additionally, the road was washed out on both sides of our property so we were subjected to unfortunate construction. We are proud to report that we are back on schedule to again do the repairs we originally wanted including:

** New windows to help with the noise and present some of our "mountain friends"

It is true that we are a historic property that unfortunately had a huge flood that changed our normal course of action. We are proud and would love to have you back once all of the projects are complete.

There are newer reviews for Stone Mountain Lodge & Cabins

Reviewed 27 July 2014

July 16: I called this wretched place from Lamar, Co at 1:30 in the afternoon and made a reservation giving the female voice a credit card to guarantee the room. She knew where I was when I called and could have calculated an approximate time of arrival. She also had my cell phone number. After very heavy Denver traffic we arrived at Stone Mountain. The office was closed; there were 2 keys for late arrivals neither of which was for our room # 6. I drove down to # 6 and found the door unlocked. The bed was unmade from the previous guest. There were towels laying in the bathroom floor. I didn't know if it was occupied or not, but we wouldn't have stayed in that filthy place under any circumstances. We left after making several attempts to reach someone at the lodge phone number. Beware of this dump and it's very unprofessional manager.

Room Tip: Avoid this place and stay at another motel.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank dbl06

Thank you for taking time to advise us of opportunities that we can fix at Stone Mountain.

You are correct in saying that unfortunately, our front desk staff is here on limited hours and a mistake did occur between housekeeping and the front desk. Since this opportunity occurred, new policies are in place to make sure that all rooms are checked before our front desk leaves for the night.

Reviewed 15 July 2014

Stone Mountain is a lovely property and the staff was very cordial and helpful; however the lodge needs renovation. We stayed in #12 which actually had live mold in the shower and hair on the bathroom walls. The bath towels were small and threadbaren and the toilet paper roll bar was broken. The room overall was not very clean and the baseboards needed painting. The place has such potential and has likely seen better days. Hope the owners take heed!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Melissa C
Reviewed 7 July 2014

This place is dirty, small, and uncomfortable. The room had a funky fungal odor to it. The floors were disgusting and turned our socks dark brown by walking around indoors. The beds were uncomfortable. The shower stalls were tiny. The air conditioner barely functioned at all. We got very poor quality sleep while we were here. Staff were very unhelpful, we asked for new towels since they didn't clean our room between the nights and they never brought them.

We were here for a wedding, so I will say that it was a great location for a wedding and reception. We had a lot of fun at the wedding and it was great spot for it, but not a good place to sleep.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
5  Thank Leftstriker00
Reviewed 6 July 2014

We recently stayed at this motel when in Lyons for a long awaited family reunion. Hadn't had time to look at some of the reviews and since other lodging was closed due to the flood, there really was no choice.

Having driven 10 long and hot hours that day, we arrived and had hoped to freshen up with a shower. The water wasn't running and we were told it would be in a few hours. After visiting family in Lyons we returned to our room only to find the water still wasn't running properly. We were told by the maintenance manager who lives on the property to contact him with any problems, so we did. It was 10PM and we felt badly doing this but were annoyed we still couldn't have a shower. The maintenance manager and his wife were incredibly service-minded and pleasant to deal with. Too bad the Manager wasn't as well.

Our bed was not made two days in a row. After the first night my husband pointed this out. Considering we were the only guests at the time, it was hard to understand why not. On day two the bed was again unmade, apparently because the maid had mistaken a blue throw pillow on the bed for a shirt (!). The house rules state no beds will be made if clothing left on them. Really. We've travelled extensively in this country and abroad and have never run into this anywhere else. It's very strange to say the least.

This is a very convenient spot for Lyons but really is, as one reviewer states, more of a Motel 6 with nothing even vaguely luxurious about it and yes, it is right smack on hwy #36.

After the inconvenience of the lack of water and the bed not being made, when our family decided to extend the reunion by a day, I had asked the very nice, young receptionist if we could stay another night for a reduced rate.

(I've been in the hotel business as Front Office Manager of a 5-star chain and would certainly have offered this given the inconvenience and poor service.) The Manger, who was in the back office didn't even have the courtesy to meet with me but instructed the rather embarrassed receptionist to say I could have the room for an additional night but no discount would be made for things beyond their control. We're still wondering what that meant. :)

As there is no alternative accommodation in the area and my nephew's home and guest house were already full with family, we had no choice but to stay.

Our overall experience was not wonderful but glad to see some of those whose wedding was held here were happy. If any other accommodations re-open, I'd check those out before staying here.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 2 July 2014

My daughter brought us here to show us where her wedding was going to be held. It was absolutely beautiful. Smaller than it appeared on the computer though. The rental tent was very large and will be perfect. The ducks walking around the property were so cute. The little pond was a bit dirtier than I would like it, but this is nature. The mountain side butts up to the property and is beautiful. It has a charming little walkover bridge, great for pictures. I think it will be great, we have booked rooms at the lodge, for the wedding. They looked pretty small in person, but the price was good. The cabins were pretty big.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 30 June 2014

If you do not like artificial scents, this is not the place for you. Though I love the proximity to Lyons and the fact that they don't force a 2-night minimum (a rarity here), we won't be returning.

Over the past 2 years, my husband and I have stayed in 89 hotels, cabins, cottages, tree houses, huts, and apartments in the US and Central America. We understand rustic, we understand posh, and we're generally not demanding people. Our experience at Stone Mountain was not worth $200. In fact, a hut I stayed in in Mexico with cockroaches and scorpions and a hostel in Costa Rica in which the air was thick with mildew were both better experiences than our stay in Cabin 20.

And this is why: the chemical smell. Even after I removed the plug-in air freshener, and we opened all of the windows, turned on the fan, and left for a few hours, the unit was still saturated with a chemical smell. Additionally, the walls were paper-thin and we could hear our neighbors all night.

Do I think this place was horrible? No. It's 2-3 stars. For $200, I want 5 stars. But that's what I get for not doing better research. $200 is big splurge money for us, so we don't want to have to come home and do laundry instantly and air out our backpacks outside for 3 days as to not stink up our apartment. I'd pay $90 max, and then my expectations would be in the right place.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lyons
Best Western Plus Plaza Hotel
Estes Mountain Lodge
Estes Mountain Lodge
#21 of 29 in Estes Park
Super 8 Longmont/Twin Peaks

Been to Stone Mountain Lodge & Cabins? Share your experiences!