“Going the extra mile”

Ranked #1 of 10 Hotels in Manitou Springs
Bethesda, Maryland
“Going the extra mile”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 May 2012

I had a delightful stay at the hotel for a work trip. To my dismay when I arrived at the airport, I realized I had left my laptop at the hotel. I called the front desk and they sent a staff person to drive it to the airport right away and handoff my laptop to me before my flight left. The gentleman driving was very kind to hurry out and even told me there was no charge for his trip. This is the kind of extraordinary service that deserves to be acknowledged. I greatly appreciate the hotel's efforts to go the extra mile for me. Thank you!

• Stayed May 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank Heather E

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (199)
Pleasant Hill, Missouri
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 May 2012

My wife and I love the Manitou area and stumbled upon this hotel on the internet. I was a little turned off at the price at first, but after looking at other hotels in the area (even cheap ones normally), I found they weren't that overpriced. Our room cost us $141 a night, but was part of a package deal that included valet, breakfast buffet, a bottle of wine each night, and tuxedo strawberries! (no were else did this in the area btw).
When we arrived, we were greeted by a very friendly bellman who helped us with our luggage and engaged in casual and pleasant conversation with us. We never had to open a door (besides ours) at this place the bellmen were so attentive. The front desk staff was great as well.
We had a studio queen room that was wonderful! Opening the door revealed a hall tree followed by a rather large, turn-of-the-century style room. The bathroom was updated and had marble floor and shower. They even included a heated toilet seat!
The food here was great as well. Although we did not eat at the Dining Room, we did eat on the veranda which had an even better atmosphere we thought. I had the fish and chips and my wife had the Reuben, both were wonderful.
Overall, best hotel we have ever stayed at (and I normally stay in Embassy Suites and other Hilton venues) and will definitely stay here again!

Room Tip: Studio is cheaper and unless you care to have a fireplace and two person spa tub, it's the way t...
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank awj88
Denver, Colorado, United States
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 May 2012

I had high expectations for this hotel, but was disappointed. We had booked a package that included wine in the room, which you select ahead of time (there were only 3 choices), and the wrong one was in the room (is it that hard to pick the right one, or right color even, at a "top" hotel??). I was pretty forgiving, so I just went to call the front desk but none of the phones in the room worked. So, I had to call from my cell phone. Then, it took about 45 minutes to bring the right wine (even though they were not even at half capacity), and all I got was a mumbled "sorry." Then we had to leave to meet people and did not get to enjoy some afternoon wine like we had wanted.
Then, we wanted to dine at a nice place too far to walk, and the "top hotel" was "not staffed" to drive us the couple miles in the shuttle. YET, everywhere you look, employees were standing around. So, we had to pay for a taxi. The next morning, the valet all but totally ignored us and the girl at the front desk made us carry our own luggage out to the curve while she went and got the car .... we were late for our next destination.
It is a shame because this hotel has a lot of potential, and is very beautiful, but the staff NEEDS to be more competent or else this cannot be labeled a top hotel; end of story.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Hannah M
BoomerGuy, General Manager at The Cliff House at Pikes Peak, responded to this review, 18 May 2012
Dear Valued Guest -

We apologize for our inability to make your stay a wonderful and positive experience. We try very hard to please all of our guests and are deeply disappointed we we are unable to do so. We have spoken with the entire staff regarding your concerns and will continue to strive towards 100% guest satisfaction.

Cliff House Management
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 April 2012

This hotel exudes old-school charm, but there were some unfortunate issues I must bring up.

We picked this hotel due to great reviews by-and-large. Things began well with friendly service, starting with the gentlemen that greeted us at the door and the check in desk. The room was nice and clean, with good views. Room service was prompt and the items we ordered late night came hot and delicious, couldn't ask for more.

The main negatives that we experienced had to do with the bed. I wanted a queen or a king, but the best they could offer was a king that was 2 twins put together. I was under the impression there would be something beneath the bottom sheet so we wouldn't feel the gap between the beds, but it was worse than that. The two beds were not a set, and one was older and soft and sagging, and the other was newer and firm, and sat about an inch higher. Therefore there was not just a gap between them, but a dropoff from one to the other. I was a bit disappointed in that, and won't take that kind of bed again.

The other main issue was the shower didn't drain well, and I always dislike taking a shower and standing in ankle deep water. (Note to mgmt: we stayed in rm 307).

On the good side, the breakfast was great and the complimentary morning paper is a nice touch.

Overall, a nice place, and I don't think the issues I had would match everyone's experience. I would stay here again, but would not get 2 twin beds put together.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
10 Thank Trotter1976
BoomerGuy, General Manager at The Cliff House at Pikes Peak, responded to this review, 30 April 2012
Valued Guest,

Thank you very much for your comments. We appreciate your positive input and will work on the items mentioned.

Thanks again!

Cliff House Management.
Denver, Colorado
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 April 2012

If you live in the Denver/Colorado Springs area or at least 100 miles from this location, you will find this very worth while. It is special year around.

Room Tip: Go for the special rooms if this is a very special occasion.
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 April 2012

The most spectacular hotel we have had the pleasure of staying in. We renewed our wedding vows here, and then stayed the week. First class dining and staff. They could not have been more accommodating. We have stayed twice, both in the themed rooms, and enjoyed one more than the next. Chef is superb. Housekeeping discreet and thorough. Our favorite Colorado getaway.

• Stayed May 2011
2 Thank Casperlovescolorado
Denver, CO
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 April 2012

We decided on the hotel for a special birthday trip based on the wonderful Trip Advisor reviews and the glowing website description of the hotel dining room. We were shocked when we arrived and the hotel dining room was closed and under construction! When I expressed my disappointment to the individuals at the front desk at check-in and check-out, neither showed any reaction to or interest in my complaint. I was also perturbed on our arrival that the valet who would park the car watched my wife and I unload the car and did not offer to help.

We booked a very nice jacuzzi and fireplace suite and I was quite pleased with the suite itself. However, we were disturbed by the dining room construction noise and the traffic noise outside the hotel. Trucks began driving by the hotel quite early in the morning, and even with closed windows, the noise was bothersome.

I thought the complimentary buffet breakfast was average at best with not enough choices.

Based on the meager services provided, I think the service and gratuity charge was excessive and superfluous. In spite of the gratuity charge, the valet parking attendants seemed to expect tips.

On the positive side, most of the employees of the hotel were quite friendly and courteous.

For the sake of courtesy and full disclosure, I really believe the hotel had the obligation to disclose that the dining room would be closed and there would be construction during our stay when we booked the reservation. I would have changed our travel plans if I had known. When I returned home, I sent back a completed evaluation form provided by the hotel detailing my complaints and disappointment. I never received a reply from the hotel..............

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
5 Thank stuawa
BoomerGuy, General Manager at The Cliff House at Pikes Peak, responded to this review, 7 April 2012
Dear Reviewer –

Thank you for bringing these issues to our attention. We did advise the majority of our guests as to the status of our dining room renovations and apologize for our apparent lack of communication with regards to your reservation. During that time we served the full Cliff House Dining Room menu in our brand new Red Mountain Bar and Grill.

We also apologize for the valet service is it is not typical for our bell stand to stand and watch our guests unload their own belongings from their vehicle.

Regarding the construction noise: we are unaware of any construction that took place outside the property and there was nominal noisy work going on inside the closed dining room (primarily tearing down wallpaper and painting.)

Our complimentary breakfast includes:

Fruit Trays with Watermelon, Cantaloupe, Honeydew, Pineapple and Red Grapes
Fresh Fruit Bowl with Fuji Apples, Bananas, and Oranges

House made - Coffee Cake, Strudel (Apple, Cherry, Berry.)

Raisin Bran, Granola, Cheerios, Captain Crunch
Dried Cherries, Dried Apricots, Toasted Almonds and Pecan Pieces

Yogurt Cups – Strawberry, Peach and Cherry Vanilla
Cranberry, Grapefruit and Orange Juices

Scrambled Eggs, Sautéed Mushrooms, Chopped Bacon, Sausage, Biscuits, Gravy, French Toast and Breakfast Potatoes.
Salsa, Cheese, Roasted Red Peppers, Diced Ham

Coffee and tea

We receive a lot of positive comments on this offering, but we apologize if you feel that there were items missing from this.

All in all, if you left disappointed, then we failed and for that we sincerely apologize.

Thank you again for your comments and the time you took to convey them.

Cliff House Management
Also consider these accommodations in or near Manitou Springs
Garden of the Gods Club and Resort
Garden of the Gods Club and Reso...
#3 of 105 in Colorado Springs
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,048 reviews
The Mining Exchange A Wyndham Grand Hotel & Spa
The Mining Exchange A Wyndham Gr...
#5 of 105 in Colorado Springs
Cheyenne Mountain Resort
Cheyenne Mountain Resort
#17 of 105 in Colorado Springs
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,330 reviews

Been to The Cliff House at Pikes Peak? Share your experiences!