“Great Place to Stay”

Ranked #1 of 10 Hotels in Manitou Springs
Richmond, Virginia
“Great Place to Stay”
Reviewed 2 June 2012

My husband and I stayed here for one night to celebrate our anniversary. It was absolutely perfect, and would have been great even for a longer stay.

ROOM: We stayed in a regular room, after great debate about whether or not to get the junior suite. Our room was plenty big and very comfortable, so I'm glad we decided to save the money.

The room had lots of nice touches, with warm red robes, a coffeemaker, and nice smelling toiletries. The heated toilet seat was a novelty but in reality not all that exciting.

REST: We had a queen size bed with the most comfortable pillows we had all week. I hate flimsy feather pillows and was glad to have such a great place to lay my head. The room is quiet with no street noise or sounds from the hallway and other rooms.

CLEANLINESS: We have no complaints - our room was spotless! Turn down service is available in the evening as well.

SERVICE: This is where the hotel really stands out. Everyone we came across, from the front desk staff to bellmen, valets, housekeeping and restaurant staff were wonderful. Of course, a service fee (mandatory) is added to your bill - but I don't mind paying when the service is this extraordinary. They bent over backwards for us, and it really made our stay.

LOCATION: The hotel is in Manitou Springs, within walking distance (15 minutes) of the Pike's Peak cograil. You'll find restaurants, shopping, and other attractions also an easy walk away. Garden of the Gods was a quick drive as well. The city of Colorado Springs and the COS airport are also an easy drive.

PARKING: Parking is valet-only and for a fee, but the valet service was quick. There are no limits as to how often you can come in and out.

BREAKFAST: The breakfast spread was huge, with scrambled eggs (and assorted toppings you could add yourself, such as diced ham, cheese, or salsa), sausage links, french toast, biscuits with gravy, fresh fruit, cereal, pastries, juices, yogurt, coffee and tea. Try the apple strudel if they have it...yum! Breakfast was free with our romance package, but I'd recommend it even if it's not included in your rate. I loved the extended hours also (6:30-10:30) since both early risers and late sleepers can be accommodated.

WI-FI: Wi-fi was fast and free. How can you go wrong?

OTHER NOTES: We loved sitting out on the veranda with a bottle of wine. The street has some people coming and going during the daytime, but really quiets down at night. Dinner at their main restaurant also looked great, but unfortunately we only had one night in town and reservations at a different restaurant. Maybe next time...

BOTTOM LINE: Save the money and stay here instead of the Broadmoore. You won't regret it.

4 Thank bqkali

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (204)
Albany, New York
Reviewed 29 May 2012

We stayed 3 nights for our 50th anniversary and enjoyed our stay very much. From the parking attendants to the desk clerks, cleaning personnel, to the dining room attendants, everyone treats you graciously. We had a great room, a queen jr suite, which was beautifully decorated.
We had the special dinner for two, which was fabulous. It was the most tender filet mignon we had ever tasted.
The included breakfast was not continental as advertised, but a full breakfast and the best anywhere. While it was buffet style, the wait staff was always on hand to pour coffee and take away dishes, in the beautiful dining room.
The Cliff House is a special occasion place but in a resort town casual dress is acceptable and commonly seen, along with guests in formals and evening wear for private parties.
Wonderful hotel!

Room Tip: Jr. suite was good.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Maxmandy
Bethesda, Maryland
Reviewed 27 May 2012

I had a delightful stay at the hotel for a work trip. To my dismay when I arrived at the airport, I realized I had left my laptop at the hotel. I called the front desk and they sent a staff person to drive it to the airport right away and handoff my laptop to me before my flight left. The gentleman driving was very kind to hurry out and even told me there was no charge for his trip. This is the kind of extraordinary service that deserves to be acknowledged. I greatly appreciate the hotel's efforts to go the extra mile for me. Thank you!

• Stayed May 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank Heather E
Pleasant Hill, Missouri
Reviewed 25 May 2012

My wife and I love the Manitou area and stumbled upon this hotel on the internet. I was a little turned off at the price at first, but after looking at other hotels in the area (even cheap ones normally), I found they weren't that overpriced. Our room cost us $141 a night, but was part of a package deal that included valet, breakfast buffet, a bottle of wine each night, and tuxedo strawberries! (no were else did this in the area btw).
When we arrived, we were greeted by a very friendly bellman who helped us with our luggage and engaged in casual and pleasant conversation with us. We never had to open a door (besides ours) at this place the bellmen were so attentive. The front desk staff was great as well.
We had a studio queen room that was wonderful! Opening the door revealed a hall tree followed by a rather large, turn-of-the-century style room. The bathroom was updated and had marble floor and shower. They even included a heated toilet seat!
The food here was great as well. Although we did not eat at the Dining Room, we did eat on the veranda which had an even better atmosphere we thought. I had the fish and chips and my wife had the Reuben, both were wonderful.
Overall, best hotel we have ever stayed at (and I normally stay in Embassy Suites and other Hilton venues) and will definitely stay here again!

Room Tip: Studio is cheaper and unless you care to have a fireplace and two person spa tub, it's the way t...
1 Thank awj88
Denver, Colorado, United States
Reviewed 16 May 2012

I had high expectations for this hotel, but was disappointed. We had booked a package that included wine in the room, which you select ahead of time (there were only 3 choices), and the wrong one was in the room (is it that hard to pick the right one, or right color even, at a "top" hotel??). I was pretty forgiving, so I just went to call the front desk but none of the phones in the room worked. So, I had to call from my cell phone. Then, it took about 45 minutes to bring the right wine (even though they were not even at half capacity), and all I got was a mumbled "sorry." Then we had to leave to meet people and did not get to enjoy some afternoon wine like we had wanted.
Then, we wanted to dine at a nice place too far to walk, and the "top hotel" was "not staffed" to drive us the couple miles in the shuttle. YET, everywhere you look, employees were standing around. So, we had to pay for a taxi. The next morning, the valet all but totally ignored us and the girl at the front desk made us carry our own luggage out to the curve while she went and got the car .... we were late for our next destination.
It is a shame because this hotel has a lot of potential, and is very beautiful, but the staff NEEDS to be more competent or else this cannot be labeled a top hotel; end of story.

3 Thank Hannah M
BoomerGuy, General Manager at The Cliff House at Pikes Peak, responded to this review, 18 May 2012
Dear Valued Guest -

We apologize for our inability to make your stay a wonderful and positive experience. We try very hard to please all of our guests and are deeply disappointed we we are unable to do so. We have spoken with the entire staff regarding your concerns and will continue to strive towards 100% guest satisfaction.

Cliff House Management
Reviewed 27 April 2012

This hotel exudes old-school charm, but there were some unfortunate issues I must bring up.

We picked this hotel due to great reviews by-and-large. Things began well with friendly service, starting with the gentlemen that greeted us at the door and the check in desk. The room was nice and clean, with good views. Room service was prompt and the items we ordered late night came hot and delicious, couldn't ask for more.

The main negatives that we experienced had to do with the bed. I wanted a queen or a king, but the best they could offer was a king that was 2 twins put together. I was under the impression there would be something beneath the bottom sheet so we wouldn't feel the gap between the beds, but it was worse than that. The two beds were not a set, and one was older and soft and sagging, and the other was newer and firm, and sat about an inch higher. Therefore there was not just a gap between them, but a dropoff from one to the other. I was a bit disappointed in that, and won't take that kind of bed again.

The other main issue was the shower didn't drain well, and I always dislike taking a shower and standing in ankle deep water. (Note to mgmt: we stayed in rm 307).

On the good side, the breakfast was great and the complimentary morning paper is a nice touch.

Overall, a nice place, and I don't think the issues I had would match everyone's experience. I would stay here again, but would not get 2 twin beds put together.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
10 Thank Trotter1976
BoomerGuy, General Manager at The Cliff House at Pikes Peak, responded to this review, 30 April 2012
Valued Guest,

Thank you very much for your comments. We appreciate your positive input and will work on the items mentioned.

Thanks again!

Cliff House Management.
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed 23 April 2012

If you live in the Denver/Colorado Springs area or at least 100 miles from this location, you will find this very worth while. It is special year around.

Room Tip: Go for the special rooms if this is a very special occasion.
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Manitou Springs
Garden of the Gods Club and Resort
Garden of the Gods Club and Reso...
#3 of 105 in Colorado Springs
The Mining Exchange A Wyndham Grand Hotel & Spa
The Mining Exchange A Wyndham Gr...
#4 of 105 in Colorado Springs
#5 of 10 in Manitou Springs
Colorado Springs Marriott
Colorado Springs Marriott
#26 of 105 in Colorado Springs

Been to The Cliff House at Pikes Peak? Share your experiences!