“Where'd All These Stars Come From?”

The Cliff House at Pikes Peak
Ranked #1 of 10 Hotels in Manitou Springs
Reviewed 15 November 2010

Trip Advisor has become my main source of information when choosing a hotel This time, I disagree with the majority of the reviews regarding this property. I was not impressed with anything - nothing. Upon arrival, we waited five minutes in the driveway for the posted valet. After the valet never showed, we parked on a residential side street around the block. Toting our luggage across streets, crosswalks and stairs, we arrived in the lobby and saw there three valet guys standing around the front desk chatting among themselves. When signing the checkin paperwork, the desk clerk, Aimee, noted the 7$ valet parking fee as well as an 18$ "service charge for incidentals." I told her we did not valet and she said the local police would tow the car if it was on the street. How inviting, I thought. Further, she insulted me stating, "You really need to valet." I told her that I tried to , and in fact waited for some time without any service. After she shrugged her shoulders she handed me a pen to sign necessary paperwork for checkin.
A slow elevator ride to our third floor room stranded us in a cluttered, very cluttered hallway without room access - neither key worked. Another trip downstairs to visit lovely Aimee proved no better than the first encounter - she said "Well. they should work." I told her I couldn't agree more, but the fact was, they did not. She issued new keys and suggested a bellman go up and open the door for me, as if I was incompetent to open a hotel door. The bellman was unable to open the door. He told me I"d need to go back to the front desk and get a "hard" key. Alas, entry, UGH.
The room was not at all representative of the description I had been provided. The room I reserved was noted as "mountain view deluxe." Nothing could have been further from the truth. The small windows were near the top of the ceiling, requiring a chair or stool to look out. Standing on the chair to admire our mountain view, I was disdained to see nothing more than AC and heating units on adjacent rooftops. What a view. In the mean time, housekeeeping dropped by informing us their key worked in our door. I'm still trying to ascertain the purpose of such a useless visit . I returned to the lobby again, requesting the room type I'd booked. They were accommodating. (I did not deal with Aimee this time). We were relocated to a room on the second floor as described. We went to the lobby to use the internet because there was no wifi in the room even though it was advertised as such. When I asked about this, I expected their canned response which I received - "there should be wifi up there." What a joke. By this time I was disgusted and tried to find someplace to have a drink. Oh No, not at this supposedly 5 star place - not till 5:00 when the bar opened (it was 4:15) We were told we could order a drink in the music room located off the lobby. We sat on an old, well worn couch waiting for some sign of bar service. We knew there was previous bar service, evidenced by dirty glasses all over the room. Finally, a haggared looking woman showed up and took our order. Sure enough, we got our 2 drinks - 20 minutes later. I was so mad at this point, we left the hotel to enjoy happy hour in town. We returned to the hotel after a wonderful dinner at the Broadmoor Penrose restaurant (see review). The bed was nice, but we had not bargained for nor expected the cacophony through the paper thin walls of adjacent rooms. We arose early, wanting to leave this horrid place as quickly as possible. It didn't take long to get out of there because we had no hot water in the shower - none. There was hot water in the sink, but I'm too big to sit in a sink. We left half showered. When I checked out, the young lady actually asked me how everything was. I said, "not good at all," and proceeded to tell her about the shower She told me we should have called maintenance. I told her that was ridiculous - hot water is not a 21st century luxury in a 5 star hotel. When we left I was tempted to remove some of the AAA, Preferred Hotel and Johansen's awards adorning the wall of the entry. I"m still in total amazement how this place earned these covered awards. If you stay here, expect the unexpected, but nothing more. What a horrible, expensive night.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled as a couple
10  Thank Drroady
BoomerGuy, General Manager at The Cliff House at Pikes Peak, responded to this reviewResponded 17 November 2010

There are no good excuses for a poor experience and that would be especially true with your recent stay at The Cliff House. As you eluded to: we have generally high ratings and many complimentary reviews, so it would seem that your experience was not atypical of most of our guests and for that I sincerely apologize.

Reviewed 24 October 2010

We brought our daughter and their family to the Cliff House to celebrate some birthdays. Everything was so luxurious, from the bathrobes, fireplace, nice little linen throws next to the bed so you don't have to step on the carpet barefooted, heated toilet seats and doilies in the bottoms of the wastebaskets. Our room had a steam shower and a beautiful view. Beds were SO comfortable--lovely linens, piles of soft pillows, turn-down service with chocolates. Breakfast buffet (included) was more than adequate, with lots of perfect fruits, cereals, yogurt, 2 coffee cakes, eggs and juice. We were delighted with everything, and the town of Manitou has enjoyed a multi-million dollar makeover, not the shabby, hippy-dippy town it used to be but now really cute. We want to go back.

Stayed: October 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 14 October 2010

My husband surprised me by taking me to the Cliff House on our wedding night. Not only do I love Manitou Springs, but we always walk by the historic hotel. The staff was accomodating when a friend of ours checked in for us, genuinely greeted us when we arrived late in the evening and the room was spectacular. The room was beautiful an old fashioned with more than enough modern amenities to make you feel spoiled. After showering and relaxing a bit we ordered late night room service and we are SO HAPPY we did. The food was delicious and even better when enjoyed sitting in the oversized jacuzzi. I love the historic feel of the hotel and having breakfast in the old-fashioned dining room in the morning was fabulous. A great way to start our married life, and we're already planning on spending our anniversaries here.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 September 2010

We had a "Deluxe King" room. It includes a nice sitting area, a desk and a gas fireplace. The bathroom is average in size but nicely finished, with a combination shower/tub. There is some noise from the next room, through the (locked) connecting door. Our view was nothing to write home about; I'm not sure if other rooms (perhaps on higher floors) are better in that respect. The decor in the room and throughout the hotel is traditional and very elegant. There is a small gym with an excellent treadmill.

The staff is uniformly friendly and helpful. Valet parking is required ($7 per night, although you may be quoted a rate that includes this charge), since the town prohibits overnight parking on the streets and the hotel has no parking facilities accessible to guests. There is also a fee for various other services ($9 per night, but your rate may again include this charge). An oustanding buffet breakfast, including eggs and pancakes, is included.

Note that the hotel is located on a narrow one-way street and can be hard to find; be sure to have good directions in hand when you arrive for the first time. Manitou Springs is a cross between Atlantic City boardwalk and Colorado tourist town. You can find anything from video arcades to head shops, but a good coffee shop or diner is hard to locate. We ate in a beer garden one night and tried the hotel's restaurant the other. We had a delightful, but somewhat expensive, meal on the hotel's veranda.

If you visit Manitou Springs, you MUST see the Garden of the Gods Park. We also enjoyed the drive to the top of Pikes Peak, and the chapel of the Air Force Academy is well worth a visit for architecture buffs. Feel free to skip Seven Falls.

1  Thank C2Dan
Reviewed 28 September 2010

Spent our last night here of 2 wk. Colorado trip. Great location-close to Pikes Peak & Garden of the Gods. You can walk to center of Manitou Springs and Adams Mountain Cafe through a paved walkway. Very lovely hotel with exceptionally friendly staff. Enjoyed buffet breakfast included in the package. Lots of ambiance. Not real easy to come & go since the parking is valet only, but they are happy to bring up your car. This hotel should be listed under "Hotels" rather than "Specialty Lodging" on TA as we nearly missed it entirely.

1  Thank Chinana
Reviewed 25 September 2010

We recently spent two nights at The Cliff House celebrating our anniversary. Everything was perfect. We had a suite with fireplace and a super comfortable king bed,. The breakfast buffet (included in the room rate) was delicious. One evening we had dessert and coffee on the veranda and it was awesome! The staff, all of them, are so friendly and helpful and really made us feel welcome. We hope to return soon.

Reviewed 21 September 2010

We stayed at the Cliff House on two different nights coming and going from the rest of our trip. Both times we stayed in the same room and loved it! Very clean, super comfy bed, fireplace, tons of natural light. And it was a great value for the money. Highly highly recommended.

The restaurant, however, was a little uneven. The first time we had just arrived later in the evening, 9:30 or so, and were told we could eat on the veranda. We went out and asked a waitress if we could eat dinner. She said it would be a minute while she cleared a table. (Most of the tables were empty at this time). Ten minutes went by. We caught a waiter, asked the same thing, and received the same answer. Another ten minutes went by. It was almost comical at this point. It just seemed like the staff was hanging out in the kitchen and was playing 'not it' to see who had to seat us. After about forty minutes we were finally seated and had a barely mediocre light dinner.

The second night we stayed at the cliff house, a week later, we ate at the casual restaurant, had great service and wonderful food.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Manitou Springs
Garden of the Gods Club and Resort
Garden of the Gods Club and Reso...
#3 of 104 in Colorado Springs
The Mining Exchange A Wyndham Grand Hotel & Spa
The Mining Exchange A Wyndham Gr...
#5 of 104 in Colorado Springs
Days Inn Manitou Springs
Days Inn Manitou Springs
#3 of 10 in Manitou Springs
Magnuson Hotel Manitou Springs
Magnuson Hotel Manitou Springs
#5 of 10 in Manitou Springs
Best Western Plus Peak Vista Inn & Suites
Best Western Plus Peak Vista Inn...
#4 of 104 in Colorado Springs
The Antlers A Wyndham Hotel
The Antlers A Wyndham Hotel
#19 of 104 in Colorado Springs

Been to The Cliff House at Pikes Peak? Share your experiences!