“Eat here if you like the weird!”
Review of Pirates of the Castaways - CLOSED

Cuisines: American
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 22 August 2012

This was the most amazing, scary, rundown, fascinating, rubbish, brilliant restaurant we’d ever been in. Walking in the front doors you are met by the ‘awesome’ waterfall, flamingos and parrots. Inside, the restaurant looked okay, but it could do with having some money spent on it.

The food was nothing special I had the Castaway Catch for $18 – a selection of fried tilapia, shrimp and prawns. It was actually . . . okay! The two staff were the stars though – they were like a cross between Norman Bates and Jack Sparrow. Saying that, my brother was obviously a hit with the waiter as he ended up with the biggest slice of chocolate cake I have ever seen.

So in conclusion, if you’re happy with average food, not of a nervous disposition and want an ‘experience’ make sure you visit Castaways!

Reviewed 9 August 2012

Restaurant could be very nice place, but unfortunately not our experience. Service was good and friendly. Server very attentive. Food was terrible. 6oz Steak was overcooked and definitely not 6oz, looked more like 3oz. Vegetables was tasteless and not the good part of the 'bag'...stems and pieces ended up on my plate. Definitely not worth the money paid for my plate. Hubby's prime rib was disappointing too - half a potato and same vegetables as mine. For the price I'd rather have 5 meals at McDonalds.

Reviewed 2 August 2012

As a parent, you're probably thinking, "i've been to Casa Bonita, how bad could this be?" As it turns out, pretty bad. Although the waitstaff are all incredibly sweet, you can smell the pleather on this place. A $19 ribeye steak with mashed potatoes smothered in a sickly sweet gravy, was just a start. Try going to the bathrooms, in the basement, whose lights have to be turned on from inside the bathroom-with kids. I swear, the ghost of Mel Torme was watching. This place looks like it's from a bygone era and it scared the hell out of my 4 and 7 year old, who despite loving all things in the pirate genre, made me promise never to take them here again.

1  Thank ExecMom
Reviewed 31 July 2012

My husband and I visited several times and were often one of only 3 tables. Though the food was phenomenal and the decor truly awe inspiring from a historical perspective, this place makes you sad as you contemplate what it "could be" if managed properly.

There are amazing "rat pack" lounges downstairs and numerous "20,000 Leagues under the sea" rooms that remain darkened while they cater to the small trickle of hotel guests with kids interested in the pirate dressed waitstaff and the running waterfall fountain at the entrance.

The food was way too pricey for the traditional hotel family with kids but truly well done. It makes me wonder what demographic they are trying to play to though as they appear confused.

The bartender (who turned out to be a partial owner) is tempermental, argumentative and just plain grouchy.

It makes my heart hurt to go by this place and if I had a 1/2 million I would bulldoze the motel, and bring this grand dame back to her original glory!

Well worth a tour if you can avoid the owner to do so but not worth the cost of the food to sit in the "tiki lounge" area they keep open to support the small trickle of business they get from the hotel.

1  Thank WorldTraveler51111
Reviewed 15 July 2012

Had dinner here and was disappointed. The food was over priced and over done. Our waiters cologne was so over powering that I could taste it.