“if odor troubles you.....you wont be able to stay here”
1 of 5 bubbles Review of El Colorado Lodge

El Colorado Lodge
Florida
“if odor troubles you.....you wont be able to stay here”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 October 2007

Adorable outside. True. Immaculate in appearance. True. Literally sandwiched between a major highway and a thoroughfare. True. BUT. Smells like mildew/mold. Checked out numerous rooms due to this, some had been heavily Lysoled to overcome odor; still a problem. Managment difficult, and unwilling to address problem. Thankfully, reservation was made through credit card company. Could not breathe well there, could not stay. Unfortunate problem, likely difficult for owner to address simply. Does not feel healthy. We have stayed in many older locations without this problem, in fact on this same trip.

Stayed October 2007
2 Thank teesees

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
st louis
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 October 2007

my daughter and i stayed at the el colorado lodge last week for one night, and it was not what the reviews claimed.
the area around the hotel was very run down, chinese massage parlor about a block down and across the street. my cabin backed up to the highway, but is was not loud. the cabin was nice sized, parking right outside. the bathroom was super small, no room for more than a toothbrush. shower was sort of strange, the floor was below the level of the bathroom floor, by 8 inches. the linens were clean, but appeared very old. we stayed in cabin 21, do not plan on anyone sleeping on the futon!
it was so flat, like a hard lumpy old sack. the cover was dirty and sort of gross. with some extra effort, this hotel could be very charming, but the way it is, i will not go back.

on the bright side, the staff was very nice and so friendly. they gave me a coupon to the brairhurst manor, saved me $25 on the $125 bill. they gave me maps and lots of info on local attractions and shopping. if i did go back to this hotel, it would be for the kind staff. spend another $40 and stay in a historic inn downtown. much better area.

• Liked — staff at front desk, they are so nice.
  • Disliked — price for quality of room. should of been half the price.
  • Stayed October 2007, travelled with family
2 Thank rideonchance

Travellers are raving about these Manitou Springs hotels

St. Petersburg
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 August 2007

Great place to stay. Pool is huge. Rooms were very clean. Unique property and we really liked it. Would recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed August 2007
2 Thank Roweena
Bellvue, CO
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 July 2007

There were 31 people in our family, ranging from age 5 to 75+. It's always a challenge to find accommodations that will fit the sizes of family groupings. The El Colorado filled the bill with their various sized cabins.

We found that the Lodge has undergone some updating since we first inspected the place last year. The pool area and the areas for gathering worked out well for our large group.

While the Lodge has limited internet capability, those who just HAD to work while on vacation were able to accomplish that.

The staff was very helpful in planning catering service, as well as a photographer to capture the group.

All in all, we had a very successful reunion and the El Colorado staff helped to accommplish that.

Stayed June 2007
1 Thank vacationer28
tbtennis
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 June 2007

38 hard to please relatives book the El Colorado for a 3 night stay. I put myself in this category, so feel I can be honest.
The 38 individuals ranged in aged from 2 to 75.

We chose a row of cabins closest to all the amenities. The amenities included a "conference room" , pool, hot tub, playground, and hard court surface that was used for all the tricycles, big wheels (provided by the lodge). The layout could not have been better. We found the conference room ample, clean, and air conditioned. The kitchen was ample for cooking for the large group and their were plenty of chairs/tables. The staff periodically checked on us and made sure we had everything. I would highly recommend renting this room if you have a large group.

The cabins are older, but improvements have been made since the last reviews. We found them clean and beds above average. If you go in expecting what you pay for, you will be pleased. There was an odd odor in a couple of the rooms, but maybe it just isn't our taste in air freshener. Opening the windows at night seemed to help. One of our cabins was not air conditioned. I would suggest a/c if you come in June!!

Overall, I felt I should write this since there hasn't been a recent review on this property in 9 months. The pool was in perfect condition and has obviously been refurbished/resurfaced and was kept clean at all times. Our family also utilized the sand volleyball courts during the evenings. The staff was friendly and most accommodating. If you are looking for a reasonable place to stay and convenient to lots of sights, then I would recommend the El Colorado.

• Liked — Amenities for families/large groups and location
  • Disliked — odor in some, not all, of the rooms
  • Stayed June 2007, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank tbtennis
New York City, New York
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 September 2006

The place looked cute from the outside. Individual adobe cabins with picnic tables outside each, so we decided to give it a shot (2 adults, 3 kids). The size of the place was fine, and it had a little kitchenette. The problem was the smell. Very musty. So much so that I didn't want to be there a second longer than I had to. The bedding was very old, and the carpet needed replacing. The pool looked too run down to use.
The place has a ton of potential. It would be great if they could just do a little renovating and airing out. Until then, I wouldn't go back.

• Liked — Outside appearance
  • Disliked — Smell
  • Stayed August 2006, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank annaboat
Denver, CO
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 July 2006

Found this property on the Pike's Peak area website. I really wish I had seen the most recent review before I booked the El Colorado Lodge. We stayed here with our three children after a trip to the Cheyenne Mountain Zoo and before a trip the next day to Pike's Peak. The cabin was very dated, and wasn't what I expected for $133 a night. There was water coming up out of the drain in the shower that looked filthy. The pool was very dated. There were also several unsavory characters staying there at the same time. I almost sent my eight-year daughter walking back to our cabin alone from the pool to get her goggles, but she wanted me to walk with her. I'm glad I did. On our way back to our cabin, a man stumbled and fell about four times walking back to his cabin, managed to get the door open, and then passed out on the bed leaving the door open behind him. He was that drunk, and he happened to be staying in the cabin next to ours. My daughter wanted to know what was wrong with him. The staff was very friendly, but that didn't make up for the experience. I would strongly recommend finding accomodations in Colorado Springs, as Manitou Springs doesn't seem very family friendly. Many homeless people and biker types lurking around otherwise beautiful parks. Wouldn't visit again!

• Liked — Friendly staff
  • Disliked — The other people staying there, not who I would associate with
  • Tips/Secrets — Stay in Colorado Springs instead
Days Inn Manitou Springs
Days Inn Manitou Springs
#2 of 10 in Manitou Springs
Garden of the Gods Club and Resort
Garden of the Gods Club and Reso...
#3 of 105 in Colorado Springs
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,049 reviews
Comfort Inn Manitou Springs
Comfort Inn Manitou Springs
#4 of 10 in Manitou Springs
Americas Best Value Inn Villa Motel
Americas Best Value Inn Villa Mo...
#3 of 10 in Manitou Springs

Been to El Colorado Lodge? Share your experiences!