“Good for one night...not so good for multiple nights.”
Review of Agate Hill Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Manitou Springs
Agate Hill Inn
Reviewed 8 July 2011

The first time I stayed here, I brought my mother as her Mother's Day gift. We stayed for one night and we were delighted. We stayed in the Garden Cottage and loved it. The decor suited the "garden" theme and the cottage was extremely cozy. Breakfast was delicious....Mom and I were so impressed, that we immediately booked a week in June to come back for our summer vacation with my husband and son.
We agreed on not having breakfast, since we got the "friends and family" rate. That was fine. But, throughout our stay, we had no trash pickup, no towel service, and the side door in the kitchen was unlocked the whole time despite our request to please lock it. When we flagged the groundskeeper down to address the garbage issue, he told us not to put it outside. He told us to leave it in the kitchen, and it would be picked up. They never picked it up. There was an embarrassing pile of dirty towels and garbage bags in our kitchen when we left. Disgusting. For the price he charges per night, one should recieve adequate basic housekeeping services. I don't think that's too much too ask!
The day we we leaving, John popped his head in as we making trips loading our car. He didn't say "thank you", or "did you enjoy your stay?", just..."you guys can leave the key in the door when you leave". We spent over a thousand dollars at Agate Hill during this stay.
I must mention we did nothing to aggrevate the innkeeper. We were quiet and respectful, and were hardly even there. My mother even sent him over a homemade spagetti and meatball lunch, and she never got as much as a "thank you". I also gave him a whole (big) bag full of hard covered books to use in the cottages, which incidentally, I could have sold or given to friends.........never got a thank you. Really?????
I would recommend finding another bed and breakfast if you plan to stay in Manitou Springs. Word of mouth is monumental in the hospitality industry, which is why I don't understand how John thinks this level of service is exceptable. Good Luck, John. I hope this review will help you to improve on the service that future guests recieve. You do have a beautiful property!

Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family
6  Thank perkmurf718

Reviewed 14 February 2011

There are so many things that could be just perfect with this homey B&B just up the hill from the Cliff House Hotel. The decor is very pleasant in the rooms, the bed is truly excellent (a King Size Sleep Number Bed in our cottage with individual heating) and the location is basically unbeatable.

Unfortunately, B&B turns out to be just... well, B. At least it did for us.

Having had the tour and paid, I asked when breakfast started and was informed that my 'discounted rate' was because there was, in fact, no breakfast at all due to an engagement on Sunday morning. I was too shocked to make much comment - this was news to me. I checked with the folks in the next cottage, and they were equally surprised and disappointed. It seems somewhat disingenuous to advertise breakfast (and since we were four, breakfast at a restaurant was over $50) and then not actually serve it.

I imagine this would be a four-star review but for that fact. Others might gripe about toilet doors not closing completely, strange hot water arrangements and tight spaces but a small B&B isn't supposed to be a Super 8... so we were fine with the little eccentricities.

Not so fine with the rumbling tummies in the morning.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled with family
8  Thank JonR71
Reviewed 4 July 2010

My wife and I spent a night in the Garden Cottage, and thoroughly enjoyed our stay.
The cottage is very nicely decorated, quiet, clean, well maintained, and fully supplied. It's "cozy".
John, the innkeeper, is a very personable guy, and knows the area very well. He can give you plenty of ideas and point out all the good spots to visit in the Springs.
Plus breakfast was nicely prepared , eggs, fresh fruit & juices, gourmet coffee.
We would highly recommend The Agate Hill.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 July 2010

My husband, brother-in-law, friend, and I stayed in the Garden Cottage from June 28-30. It was a great place for us- three full bedrooms, living room, and full kitchen (stocked for cooking needs). It would have been nice to have two bathrooms, but there was only one.

The interior design of the cottage is shabby chic. It definitely gave the feel of a B & B. The cottage has its own hot tub on the porch (see picture). There is also a private garden that faces the mountains (see picture). There is free on-site parking in a narrow driveway.

The inn is a quick walk to the center of downtown Manitou Springs. John, the innkeeper, has plenty of recommendations for activities and dining in the area. He takes the time to understand his guests and make appropriate recommendations. We were a group of 4 thirty-somethings, East Coasters...the recommendations that he gave us were great.

Take advantage of John's complimentary breakfast. Delicious way to start the day. We had homemade waffles with fresh strawberries and kiwis.

The cottage was private, quiet, and perfectly suited for the four of us. It really added to our pleasureable stay in Manitou Springs.

Thanks, John!

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled with family
2  Thank JerseyGirlSeesWorld
Reviewed 20 April 2010

We expected a cute, vintage, victorian cottage. What we got was a cottage that was more shabby than chic. Not only were the doorknobs loose and the screens torn, but the entire cottage was dirty. I mean really dirty!!! The cottage had cobwebs in the corners and the bathroom sink was disgusting. The decor was beautiful and decorating was perfect, But that did not hide the dust. However the beds were comfortable and the cottage was warm.
Breakfest was very good, if you didn't mind waiting til 9:00. John the innkeeper was very firm about the time. Since we were the only quests, it would have been nice to eat alittle earlier.
We would have liked clean towels and garbage pickup, and only recieved them after asking.
Also, parking was tricky. We had to be very careful to navigate the alley and avoid the broken glass in the parking lot. ( no excuse!!)
All in all, I would avoid this place and not recommend this to friends

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled with family
2  Thank tamtam822
Reviewed 2 January 2009

Every moment of the experience at Agate Hill was wonderful! From my first phone call to the Bed and Breakfast I knew I would be in good hands. The Hummingbird Cottage was described to me over the phone in very accurate detail. John, the owner, asked me what I was looking for and helped find the best fit for our group. We were a couple and a single and it worked out perfectly to stay in the charming two bedroom cottage. There was full kitchen and sitting area. There was a claw-foot tub, which was a dream with plenty of hot water. They have a special set-up so there is never a loss of hot water. Everything was thought out beforehand; from the towelwarmer in the bathroom to the fresh coffee beans with grinder and maker in the kitchen. They had cable tv and could set your own temperature with the gas stove! There were even dvds to watch and bed warmer/ firmness settings on the kingsize bed! We chose what time we wanted breakfast the next morning and it was delectable. Belgian Waffles with fresh strawberries, kiwi, and pears...,mmmmm goood!!!! Costa Rican coffee and juice too! John made calls for us about nearby tourist attractions and drew us a map for a great scenic drive! It was so charming, with a GREAT view of the mountains!!!! There were several gardens and a bench in the front to watch the view! We all felt so at home and cannot wait to go back! I would reccommend this B&B with the highest reccommendation!!!!!!! We will never forget our stay there!!!

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled with friends
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed 6 February 2008

We stayed at the Agate Hill for my birthday. We booked the Garden Cottage. We noticed it "smelled" funny imediately upon entering. Sort of an old musty smell. The parking situation was bad - not for anyone who drives a large vehicle or truck. The bed upstairs was a select comfort bed. My husband and I both thought it was awful!! We tried every setting and could not escape horrible back pain. It really was no different than sleeping on an air mattress. We stayed for 2 nights and could hardly stand the bed. We also noticed that when we left for dinner (or shopping) the inn keeper entered our cottage and left notes for us. We found that rather creepy. The inn keeper also spent a great deal of time rummaging through the storage area which was attached to the cottage! We felt like we had no privacy. He was constantly walking past our cottage and peeking in! We went out to sit in the hot tub on the veranda and felt "watched" out there as well....The first morning the breakfast we had was wonderful! His partner was not in town so he cooked for us and it was delicious. He made merlot infused grapefruit and banana caramel pecan pancakes. Really good!! I e-mailed him for the recipes and he never replied. We didn't stay for the second breakfast - we just wanted to get out of there.

• Stayed: October 2004, travelled as a couple
Days Inn Manitou Springs
Days Inn Manitou Springs
#3 of 10 in Manitou Springs
The Mining Exchange A Wyndham Grand Hotel & Spa
The Mining Exchange A Wyndham Gr...
#5 of 105 in Colorado Springs
Americas Best Value Inn Villa Motel
Americas Best Value Inn Villa Mo...
#2 of 10 in Manitou Springs

Been to Agate Hill Inn? Share your experiences!