“Enchanted Cottage”
Review of Agate Hill Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Manitou Springs
Agate Hill Inn
Reviewed 11 August 2012

Myu husband and and I stayed in the Hummingbird Cottage at the Agate Hill Bed & Breakfast for 4 nights in July. In a word charming! The cottage consisted of 4 rooms, a bedroom with a king size sleep number bed that was very comfortable, a second small bedroom/office, a living room with a wood burning stove, a full kitchen and a small, dated but efficient bathroom. There is an outside porch with chairs and a porch swing, which we used every day to enjoy the views. There is very strong wi-fi in the cottage. We loved our stay. Jon the Innkeeper made us feel very welcome and was very accommodating. We had an issue with the hot water on the 1st day and Jon took care of it right way making sure it was working perfectly. He really cares about the comfort of his guests. We’ve stayed at several other B&B’s over the years and hands down Jon’s breakfasts were the best we’ve ever had (homemade banana bread french toast --- yummm). Ask Jon for directions to where ever you’re going, he gave us perfect directions every time.

Make sure you stop at the Cliff House for a cheeseburger, we live in the NYC metro area and have access to great food, the Cliff House burger is one of the best I can remember having in a long time. We drove to Divide, Co. (about ½ an hour from Manitou) to visit the wolf sanctuary, a wonderful experience. Visited the Cliff Dwellings, a very interesting self-guided tour, that only takes an hour or two. Kids would love both of these attractions. We took the cog railroad up to Pikes Peak, which we enjoyed. Dress warmly, it’s very cold up there even in the summer. The scenery is breathtaking.

We would highly recommend this B&B if you’re visiting Manitou Springs and want a cozy and comfortable place to stay that is within walking distance to town.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Joanne D

Reviewed 23 July 2012

We booked this B & B because it was within walking distance of town and places that we wanted to see. However, we would never stay there again. We stayed 2 nights and one night would have been enough! After having breakfast the 1st morning...we decided to skip it the 2nd day. The fresh grapes that were served were gritty, and had not been washed. The "french toast" banana bread was pasty and overly sweet. We figured out the hot water system finally; and it was awkward. The coffee pot in the kitchen was wet and smelled moldy so we did not make coffee in it. The garbage was not picked up while we were there, so we had to leave a bag of trash in the kitchen when we left because the waste basked under the sink was overflowing in the kitchen....not pleasant for us. We paid $ 160 per night and it was definitely not worth it.

Linda H.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank linnie_12
Reviewed 5 June 2012

This place was cute, cozy, and we enjoyed the close proximity to town, never having to drive. The rooms were clean, and after staying and reading the reviews of past guests, it's very clear that the owner read them and fixed any issues. We found the cottages clean, no loose doorknobs or shabby-ness as people have stated below. The breakfast was lovely, homemade banana bread french toast and watermelon. Each room had fresh coffee beans and a grinder, excellent touch. The gardens are gorgeous. I'd sum it up as understated country elegance and the owner is a perfect dose of local eccentricity that adds to the experience:)

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank GypsyFeet33
Reviewed 11 May 2012

This is the cutest place - we highly recommend it. John is a nice man - breakfast was outstanding! Nice location....walk to everything!! The other reviews are good and not so good, but our stay was awesome. Thanks John!

Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank RochelleLG
Reviewed 8 July 2011

The first time I stayed here, I brought my mother as her Mother's Day gift. We stayed for one night and we were delighted. We stayed in the Garden Cottage and loved it. The decor suited the "garden" theme and the cottage was extremely cozy. Breakfast was delicious....Mom and I were so impressed, that we immediately booked a week in June to come back for our summer vacation with my husband and son.
We agreed on not having breakfast, since we got the "friends and family" rate. That was fine. But, throughout our stay, we had no trash pickup, no towel service, and the side door in the kitchen was unlocked the whole time despite our request to please lock it. When we flagged the groundskeeper down to address the garbage issue, he told us not to put it outside. He told us to leave it in the kitchen, and it would be picked up. They never picked it up. There was an embarrassing pile of dirty towels and garbage bags in our kitchen when we left. Disgusting. For the price he charges per night, one should recieve adequate basic housekeeping services. I don't think that's too much too ask!
The day we we leaving, John popped his head in as we making trips loading our car. He didn't say "thank you", or "did you enjoy your stay?", just..."you guys can leave the key in the door when you leave". We spent over a thousand dollars at Agate Hill during this stay.
I must mention we did nothing to aggrevate the innkeeper. We were quiet and respectful, and were hardly even there. My mother even sent him over a homemade spagetti and meatball lunch, and she never got as much as a "thank you". I also gave him a whole (big) bag full of hard covered books to use in the cottages, which incidentally, I could have sold or given to friends.........never got a thank you. Really?????
I would recommend finding another bed and breakfast if you plan to stay in Manitou Springs. Word of mouth is monumental in the hospitality industry, which is why I don't understand how John thinks this level of service is exceptable. Good Luck, John. I hope this review will help you to improve on the service that future guests recieve. You do have a beautiful property!

Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family
6  Thank perkmurf718
Reviewed 14 February 2011

There are so many things that could be just perfect with this homey B&B just up the hill from the Cliff House Hotel. The decor is very pleasant in the rooms, the bed is truly excellent (a King Size Sleep Number Bed in our cottage with individual heating) and the location is basically unbeatable.

Unfortunately, B&B turns out to be just... well, B. At least it did for us.

Having had the tour and paid, I asked when breakfast started and was informed that my 'discounted rate' was because there was, in fact, no breakfast at all due to an engagement on Sunday morning. I was too shocked to make much comment - this was news to me. I checked with the folks in the next cottage, and they were equally surprised and disappointed. It seems somewhat disingenuous to advertise breakfast (and since we were four, breakfast at a restaurant was over $50) and then not actually serve it.

I imagine this would be a four-star review but for that fact. Others might gripe about toilet doors not closing completely, strange hot water arrangements and tight spaces but a small B&B isn't supposed to be a Super 8... so we were fine with the little eccentricities.

Not so fine with the rumbling tummies in the morning.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled with family
8  Thank JonR71
Reviewed 4 July 2010

My wife and I spent a night in the Garden Cottage, and thoroughly enjoyed our stay.
The cottage is very nicely decorated, quiet, clean, well maintained, and fully supplied. It's "cozy".
John, the innkeeper, is a very personable guy, and knows the area very well. He can give you plenty of ideas and point out all the good spots to visit in the Springs.
Plus breakfast was nicely prepared , eggs, fresh fruit & juices, gourmet coffee.
We would highly recommend The Agate Hill.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple