“Flavors are there but needs HEAT”
Review of Wild Ginger Thai Restaurant - CLOSED

Wild Ginger Thai Restaurant
Cuisines: Thai
Colorado Springs, Colorado
“Flavors are there but needs HEAT”
Reviewed 14 February 2013

I wrestled with this rating. My first experience at Wild Ginger yesterday was better than a 3 but not quite a 4.

Service: 5 stars. The two guys working our table were excellent servers; very friendly and attentive but unintrusive and professional.

Ambiance:
Rather standard, but clean. Nice music at a perfect volume. Plenty of locals, with some of them doing take-out only. The booth seats are hideous with a generic floral pattern you'd find in your great-aunt's attic, but at least they're not torn or scary-looking. Spacious. A large group (12 or so) set up a table near us.

Food: Flavors were good. The Hot & Sour soup was ENORMOUS - even split between the 3 of us, we didn't finish the whole thing even though it was pretty good. I really like the egg rolls as they were fresh and crispy; for $2.50, you get 2 that are halved. I enjoyed my Green Curry and my fiancé liked his Pad Se Eew; his dish wasn't drowning in sauce and had the expected flavors (not Chinese in any way, thankfully).

Now, the bad. We both ordered hot. We should have gotten Thai Hot (or killer hot) because our regular hot did not have any heat. Ok, we did detect it a little, but I would have called it "mild" and nowhere near hot. And like other reviewers have said, they don't put in much meat. I typically don't eat a ton of meat to begin with, but I felt that for the size of the entrees, there should've been more pieces.

Bottom line: if you're craving Thai food on the west side, this is a decent place. I've had better Thai at other COS locations, but this is alright. I had read reviews beforehand and was a little nervous, so it was a pleasant surprise that I enjoyed Wild Ginger more than I thought.

• Visited February 2013

Denver
“Wow first time and very impressed”
Reviewed 29 January 2013 via mobile

Wow first time and very impressed. Food was excellent service was spot on. Highly recommend to anyone.

Boulder, Colorado
“Unremarkable”
Reviewed 13 January 2013

Lunch special was a good deal, but the food was average at best. Hot and sour soup was the best item. The main courses were bland. "Hot" was...not. Very skimpy on ingredients, too. My shrimp and chicken pad Thai had two shrimp in it. Disappointing overall; I'd heard good things from friends.

• Visited January 2013
1 Thank marcolius
Bellingham, Washington
“Good thai!”
Reviewed 9 December 2012

We were looking for a restaurant that was close to the hotel and good. The Wild Ginger lived up to the expectation. Both dishes we had were tasty- peanut sauce was great. The service was good although a little slow.

• Visited September 2012
“Tasty”
Reviewed 5 November 2012

We enjoy eating here. I think it's a bit pricey, but the food is reliable and we can have it as spicy as we like. Thai curry dishes are primarily what we eat.

Visited September 2012