“Nice atmosphere, so-so food”

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
The Red Mountain Bar and Grill
Cuisines: American, Bar, Pub
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: Dinner, Outdoor Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Lawrenceburg, Kentucky
“Nice atmosphere, so-so food”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 December 2013

In December we obviously couldn't sit outside on the patio, which has a fire pit and looked comfortable. We ate inside at the bar, which has pleasant decor and a fireplace (if I remember correctly). It was a really quiet night with no other customers. We ordered the Fish and Chips and Black Angus Burger. I wasn't happy with the fish; it wasn't hot or crispy. Burger was okay. I think the Red Mountain should consider adding more items from the Cliff House main dining room lunch menu; the sandwiches and quiche sound interesting.

• Visited December 2013

Los Alamos
“Surly at the Red Mountain Bar”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 July 2013

We thought we would try the Red Mountain Bar when we were in town for the Pikes Peak Hill Climb/Ride For the Brand Ranch Rodeo/Celtic Festival. A big week of fun for a family vacation, but this was just not a fun experience. Our family met up with another family and we picked this as our meeting spot, a place to unwind after driving for 6-8 hours that day with the kids in the car. Our age range for the group was 13 thru 60 so we were looking for a good something-for-everyone spot.

The benefits of the Red Mountain Bar are that it is just slightly off the main street in Manitou (so no traffic noise or exhaust fumes), comfortable outdoor seating, parking lot nearby since the Old Colorado City/Manitou parking can be a bit tough, cool banjo player outside and he is not overwhelmingly loud so you can still have conversation, and the food was good and reasonably priced. Add to it that they are right next to the Arcade so if you have a mixed age group the younger ones can zip right across the street and play games while the parents and adults chat. The downside is that the staff have to come and go up a big flight of stairs to get to the patio and it certainly made their attitude long-suffering and the service slow.

The lady who was serving the area we were in apparently asked for help getting menus to our group because our group as well as two others came in at the same time. (I would like to clarify that these were the only groups in the bar so it is not like the entire bar area was packed, it is just that she got three groups at once.) So, a gentleman from the Cliff House Dining Room came hand out menus. How do I know? Well, because as he handed us a menu I asked for water and he informed me that he was not responsible for serving water, HE was from the "other side" and the waitress would have to get it. My thoughts? If he had half the class he thought he had he would have handled it in a friendly manner. I am very sure that if I asked someone at lowly Pizza Hut for water he would have gotten it for me or arranged to have someone get if for me, even if he wasn't "in charge" of water.

So that was the general tone for the evening. Because the waitress was trying to save trips back and forth up the stairs she would come with the entire patio's drink order and then try and figure out who had what at each table. She would approach the table and interrupt the flow of conversation to see if one was our drink. That happened twice and neither time were they our drinks. The second time it happened we told her what drinks our group was missing, since only half of us had our drinks, and she snapped back at us that she would get them next. One of the members of our group drinks Jameson, up. When it came, on the third or fourth ordering attempt, he didn't think it was Jameson because the color was light and it didn't taste or smell right. Since he is a bit of a connoisseur, part of the reason we went to the Celtic festival was for the scotch tasting, he asked the waitress for confirmation that it was Jameson. She said it was and then suggested, unprompted, that if he didn't believe her she would bring the bottle down and pour it in front of him. Awkward. Since this was the senior member of our group, he handled it with far more class than she did, let it go, and just didn't drink his drink.

So, instead of lingering and catching up with each other as was the plan, we waited until everyone arrived, had a quick bite to eat, paid our tab and left.

I would say that the food was a reasonable price and tasty and the setting was super, but our visit was overshadowed by the snarky, put-upon service. Because the service was slow and we had to correct drink orders, I did not consider this to be a good value when I was rating. I would pay a little more if I got good service as part of the deal.

• Visited June 2013