“Charming and Quaint. Only Minor Complaints.”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Manitou Springs
1892 Victoria's Keep
Reviewed 22 July 2011

My wife and I are local, but were unable to get away for our anniversary due to conflicting work schedules, so we decided to head to charming Manitou Springs for the night. After checking several B&B's in the area, we decided on Victoria's Keep.

We arrived just a bit past check-in, but that wasn't an issue for the incredibly helpful and courteous staff. After being given a quick tour and a demonstration of the nifty front door-lock system, we were shown to our room.

I have to reference an earlier review, since we also elected the Queen's Chamber...yes...the tub is pink...yes...the walls are purple...I suppose if you looked at pictures before settling on a room you'd probably know that already. Anyway, we didn't notice any peeling wallpaper, unless the reviewer meant on the ceiling, in one little corner. Nor was there any dirt or dust anywhere in the room. The facilities are split into an oversized shower area (plenty of room for two..) and a small toilet and sink area (with an inexplicable but interesting mechanism to open an out-of-reach window into the hallway...). The jacuzzi tub was the only plumbing with low-pressure issues, but you're in the foothills here...the pressure is bound to be kinda low. Here-in lies my first whine: it took forever to fill up the massive tub. Not a big deal, really. My second is that the enormous and otherwise beautifully comfortable bed had a strange feather pillow-top sort of thing on it, that only covered the middle portion of the mattress's surface area. The quills periodically poked my wife and I in the middle of the night (awaking us) when we would shift. The bed was so unbelievably comfy, however, we both would immediately fall back asleep.

Breakfast was immensely satisfying. A delicious serious of items were laid before us. Prior to breakfast, I witnessed one of the staff literally clipping fresh herbs from the garden, so you know everything is fresh. It would have been nice to have one or two menu options (I agree with an earlier review that sometimes I crave savory fare rather than sweet), but I do understand, this is a very small establishment and it may not be an option.

Overall, I would highly recommend Victoria's Keep to anyone looking for a cozy hide-away. It's isolated from the main drag of Manitou, but still in walking distance of downtown. We'll be back. Though perhaps not in the summer. That fireplace looked amazing!

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank somethingobvious

Reviewed 30 June 2011

Jay & Karen made our stay at The Hearts On Ruxton cottage very pleasant. Loved the location of the cottage close to town as well as hiking. We walked everywhere. Thanks for making our Anniversary trip special!
Definitely would recommend!

• Stayed: June 2011
Reviewed 22 June 2011

My husband and I recently spent 4 nights at the Creekside Cottage with two teenage boys and the accomodations worked out well for us. The house is on the main street through Manitou, just past the business district. It is set back between a business and another house and is easy to miss. Although it is located on a busy street there was no issue with noise. The only parking is on the street but we were able to park within a half block if not in front of the house. There was a wine festival in progress when we drove into town and parking and unloading was a bit of a challenge, but once the festival was over we didn't have any problems. The queen bed in the bedroom slept very well. There is a trundle day bed and sleeper sofa in the front room. One of the boys slept on the day bed and other on the sofa (not made into a bed) and both said they slept well.

The location made for an enjoyable walk to shop and eat and the boys loved being able to do some exploring on their own. I thought the price was reasonable and prefered having the extra room, washer/dryer and kitchen to staying in a motel. We didn't have any contact with any of Victoria's Keep staff other than check in but don't have anything bad to say about their service.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank GinaCuero_Texas
Reviewed 30 April 2011

(This applies to the owner, not the kind staff who have no control of these events) We stayed here or our honeymooon in 2008 and like to visit at least once a year. It breaks my heart that we will never get to go back, but I refuse to give them anymore of my business. My husband booked us a room as a surprise and we were so looking forward to our stay. Two days before our trip, I injured my back. I have a cracked vertebrae and can barely walk. We had to call and cancel. For us, $200 is a LOT of money and we are happy to pay it IF we can stay. I realize they are following their policy to the letter. We cancelled too close to the date of arrival and therefore they legally have the right to keep all of our money. However, if they chose to, they could show a little compassion for a couple that comes back every year. I even offered to send them a letter from my doctor stating that I could barely walk. They didn't care and said they were charging us anyway. I think it is heartless and it makes me so sad that I won't be able to go there anymore. Two hundred dollars was more important to them than acting like decent human beings.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
law_sand, Manager at 1892 Victoria's Keep, responded to this reviewResponded 5 May 2011

We appreciate your response to our policies. We unfortunately are a very small inn with a limited amount of inventory, unlike a large hotel that has many rooms to rent. We have a commitment to have a specific room of a guest's request available upon their arrival and held that specific room off the market upon your reservation. We do understand that accidents happen and many people purchase trip insurance, although we understand why you did not. Our policy is in place both for the business and our guests. We tried very hard to rebook your room, even by trying to upgrade others. We were not aware of your previous visit to us in 2008 and had intended on sending you a gift certificate, but you have made it quite clear that you would not be returning. We are very sorry for your injury and hope that you get better soon.

Reviewed 12 January 2011

We really enjoyed our stay at Victoria's Keep Bed & Breakfast. Our room and spa tub were awesome. The hosts, Karen & Jay, were warming & wonderful. And Breakfast the next morning, Carmel Apple French Toast, was to die for! Highly recommend it for anyone looking for a Bed & Breakfast.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank tonidale
Reviewed 2 January 2011

I have stayed often at this Bed and Breakfast and I have never been disappointed. It doesn't hurt that the B&B is located in Manitou Springs, CO, a beautiful small mountain town. The property is well kempt and very homey. The rooms are well appointed and I have rested in all of them except two. The inn keeper for most of my time there was Sheenga. She was possibly the most helpful inn keeper I've ever met. Jay and Karen the owners were also available and now they are again running the inn full time. It is always nice to see them and their email feed back is attentive and appropriate. Finally, as always I have stayed at many bed and breakfasts across the United States and the breakfast here is always superb. If you have a chance to stay in the area, stay at this bed and breakfast.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank bstrawn
Reviewed 12 August 2010

The manager was accommodating. Parking left much to be desired. Breakfast was always SWEET, which we do not care for in the mornings.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with family
Magnuson Hotel Manitou Springs
Magnuson Hotel Manitou Springs
#5 of 10 in Manitou Springs
The Mining Exchange A Wyndham Grand Hotel & Spa
The Mining Exchange A Wyndham Gr...
#5 of 104 in Colorado Springs
Avenue Hotel Bed and Breakfast
Avenue Hotel Bed and Breakfast
#2 of 8 in Manitou Springs
Americas Best Value Inn Villa Motel
Americas Best Value Inn Villa Mo...
#3 of 10 in Manitou Springs
Magnuson Grand Pikes Peak
Magnuson Grand Pikes Peak
#4 of 10 in Manitou Springs

Been to 1892 Victoria's Keep? Share your experiences!