“It was a nice stay” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of 1892 Victoria's Keep

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Manitou Springs
1892 Victoria's Keep
Stockbridge, Michigan, United States
“It was a nice stay”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 December 2011

My husband and I stayed at 1892 Victoria's keep the day before yesterday. This was our first stay in a bed and breakfast. We stayed in 'The Queen's Chambers'. We did not meet the owners, but our hostess, Lindsey, was very friendly. Someone in another review commented that the jacuzzi tub took too long to fill up. I think it filled up quite fast. The bed was very comfortable and I slept great. My only complaint with the room is that the wall paper is peeling all around the ceiling.

Our breakfast was PHENOMENAL! We were served an egg strata. I have Celiac Disease and cannot eat gluten. So they provided gluten-free bread for me and made sure my breakfast was gluten-free.

Before our trip we tried to get in touch with the owner's to let them know about my dietary needs; my husband forgot to tell them when he booked the room. He called for three days and noone answered the phone. He left two voicemail messages and his calls were not returned. There was no email address listed on the website. Since he was local he even went to the location, only to find no one was there. He finally found an email address on his receipt of the down payment. His email was replied to almost immediately. It turns out the owners had gone out of the town and the hostess was given those days off. We were tempted to cancel our reservation because who runs a business and then doesn't have any way for anyone to get a hold of them? In the future, the owners should change their voicemail message to let callers know that their calls will not be returned for several days or provide an email address on their website.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
      Location
      Rooms
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
law_sand, Manager at 1892 Victoria's Keep, responded to this review, 29 December 2011
Thank you very much for your recent review and appreciate the feedback. I understand the frustration that you experienced. We do have our email address on our website at the bottom of each web page, in addition, the confirmation that you received is sent via email containing our email address. It is unfortunate that the email address was overlooked. Your phone calls should have been returned, and I sincerely apologize that they were not, that was our expectation. We are in the process of having the wall paper replaced as it has been repaired multiple times and was repaired again, only two weeks earlier from your stay. You must have caught it on a bad day, again I sincerely apologize, but glad that you had a wonderful breakfast cooked specifically to conform with your dietary needs and enjoyed the jacuzzi tub.

Solo
Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 August 2011

The atmosphere here at Victoria's keep is definitely like stepping back in time a little, the rooms are very quaint and have plenty of room for you and your spouse. Depending on what room you reserve you can never go wrong no matter what. The breakfasts are amazing, always fresh juices and there is something new every time you go back. The staff and owners are always willing to help you out no matter what. The b&b is nice because it is within very easy walking distance of the main drag in town. You can never go wrong if you stay here whenever you are in Manitou.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
Longmont, Colorado
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 July 2011

My girlfriend and I spent a great weekend down here and I surprised her with this stayover. When she saw and toured Victoria's she started laughing in an emotional way she was so overwhelmed. This is what a B&B should look like...the house, the hospitality, the warmth, the ambience, the romance, the breakfast...and so on. This weekend certainly brought us closer romantically ...

Room Tip: Queens chambers hands down
Houston, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 July 2011

Very clean with great atmosphere, well located in Manitou Springs and spectacular views of the mountains. Easy walking to many places including the Cog railway which goes up Pikes Peak.

Room Tip: The Royal Chambers is easily the best option
Colorado Springs, Colorado
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2011

My wife and I are local, but were unable to get away for our anniversary due to conflicting work schedules, so we decided to head to charming Manitou Springs for the night. After checking several B&B's in the area, we decided on Victoria's Keep.

We arrived just a bit past check-in, but that wasn't an issue for the incredibly helpful and courteous staff. After being given a quick tour and a demonstration of the nifty front door-lock system, we were shown to our room.

I have to reference an earlier review, since we also elected the Queen's Chamber...yes...the tub is pink...yes...the walls are purple...I suppose if you looked at pictures before settling on a room you'd probably know that already. Anyway, we didn't notice any peeling wallpaper, unless the reviewer meant on the ceiling, in one little corner. Nor was there any dirt or dust anywhere in the room. The facilities are split into an oversized shower area (plenty of room for two..) and a small toilet and sink area (with an inexplicable but interesting mechanism to open an out-of-reach window into the hallway...). The jacuzzi tub was the only plumbing with low-pressure issues, but you're in the foothills here...the pressure is bound to be kinda low. Here-in lies my first whine: it took forever to fill up the massive tub. Not a big deal, really. My second is that the enormous and otherwise beautifully comfortable bed had a strange feather pillow-top sort of thing on it, that only covered the middle portion of the mattress's surface area. The quills periodically poked my wife and I in the middle of the night (awaking us) when we would shift. The bed was so unbelievably comfy, however, we both would immediately fall back asleep.

Breakfast was immensely satisfying. A delicious serious of items were laid before us. Prior to breakfast, I witnessed one of the staff literally clipping fresh herbs from the garden, so you know everything is fresh. It would have been nice to have one or two menu options (I agree with an earlier review that sometimes I crave savory fare rather than sweet), but I do understand, this is a very small establishment and it may not be an option.

Overall, I would highly recommend Victoria's Keep to anyone looking for a cozy hide-away. It's isolated from the main drag of Manitou, but still in walking distance of downtown. We'll be back. Though perhaps not in the summer. That fireplace looked amazing!

1 Thank somethingobvious
Loveland, Colorado
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 June 2011

Jay & Karen made our stay at The Hearts On Ruxton cottage very pleasant. Loved the location of the cottage close to town as well as hiking. We walked everywhere. Thanks for making our Anniversary trip special!
Definitely would recommend!

• Stayed June 2011
      Location
      Rooms
Cuero, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 June 2011

My husband and I recently spent 4 nights at the Creekside Cottage with two teenage boys and the accomodations worked out well for us. The house is on the main street through Manitou, just past the business district. It is set back between a business and another house and is easy to miss. Although it is located on a busy street there was no issue with noise. The only parking is on the street but we were able to park within a half block if not in front of the house. There was a wine festival in progress when we drove into town and parking and unloading was a bit of a challenge, but once the festival was over we didn't have any problems. The queen bed in the bedroom slept very well. There is a trundle day bed and sleeper sofa in the front room. One of the boys slept on the day bed and other on the sofa (not made into a bed) and both said they slept well.

The location made for an enjoyable walk to shop and eat and the boys loved being able to do some exploring on their own. I thought the price was reasonable and prefered having the extra room, washer/dryer and kitchen to staying in a motel. We didn't have any contact with any of Victoria's Keep staff other than check in but don't have anything bad to say about their service.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
Magnuson Hotel Manitou Springs
Magnuson Hotel Manitou Springs
#5 of 10 in Manitou Springs
Garden of the Gods Club and Resort
Garden of the Gods Club and Reso...
#3 of 105 in Colorado Springs
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,035 reviews
Days Inn Manitou Springs
Days Inn Manitou Springs
#2 of 10 in Manitou Springs
The Mining Exchange A Wyndham Grand Hotel & Spa
The Mining Exchange A Wyndham Gr...
#4 of 105 in Colorado Springs
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,820 reviews
Avenue Hotel Bed and Breakfast
Avenue Hotel Bed and Breakfast
#1 of 9 in Manitou Springs

Been to 1892 Victoria's Keep? Share your experiences!