“Cowboy Charm + Creature Comforts = BMR”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Mc Coy
Black Mountain Ranch
Naperville, Illinois
“Cowboy Charm + Creature Comforts = BMR”
Reviewed 9 June 2013

Our family will visit this amazing ranch for the 9th consecutive summer this July. Every visit has had a character of its own, and every single one has been wonderful. The May family welcomes us like their own every time, graciously accommodating an assortment of special requests over the years. The wranglers have never failed to be highly capable and engaging. The food is fantastic - way beyond expectations. The saloon is a great social center for all ages. We speak so fondly of some of the horses, people sometimes think they are actually ours! BMR somehow manages to make guests feel cowboy rustic and pampered at the same time. Another reviewer calls it a magical place and I have to agree. I hope we are still visiting with our kids when they have families of their own. Highest recommendations.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank cmah_mom

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
Niagara-on-the-Lake, Canada
Reviewed 27 February 2013

My 8 year old daughter and I visited a few years back and everything about this place is magical! Owners, wranglers, horses are awesome and the food was amazing! We still talk about this vacation to this very day. Highly recommended!

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank kandofrank
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 15 January 2013

I have visited this ranch for the last 2 summers and I am hoping to be back this year. Black Mountain Ranch is everything you could want from a dude ranch vacation because everything is tailored to you! You can partake in all the activities that are offered or spend time lounging by the pool. But regardless of how you spend your time you will be surrounded by an amazing landscape and attended to by staff that will become your family by the end of the week. The atmosphere created by the Black Mountain family & staff is really what makes this dude ranch unique, by the time you leave you're no longer a guest but a part of a large horse loving family of wranglers that will keep you missing the ranch until you are able to return again. I highly suggest this ranch for a family or adult vacation. The only problem is once you go to Black Mountain, you won't want to vacation anywhere else!

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends
3 Thank Alicia301
Saint Peters, Missouri
Reviewed 11 October 2012

My son and I visited the Black Mountain Ranch the first week of September. What can I say? Well, I will start with the pros and cons.

The Cons: Well, there aren't any.

The Pros: It was an experience of a lifetime. My son and I had a a fantastic time. The people were great and extremely helpful, we couldn't have asked for a better group of folks. We were treated as if we were more than guests. From the wranglers to the people in food service went out of their way to make our trip enjoyable. Enjoyed all the meals whether it was a sit down dinner or a lunch on the trail; the meals couldn't have been more enjoyable. The horses surpassed my expectations. The staff tailored the horses to your ability.The trail rides were the best with amazing scenery to boot. The saloon after the rides was a great touch. It gave all the guests and wranglers a chance to meet and get to know each other. I can't thank the May family and all employees enough for the hospitality, fun, activities and for being so accommodating. For me it wa a retun to a time when I was a kid working on a ranch in Colorado some 50 years ago--the cattle drive. Because of this trip my son has also fallen in love with the mountains and the West.

I would recomend Black Mountain Ranch to everyone who wats to get the feel of the mountains and the way of the west. My main activity was horse riding, but there are other activities such as fishing, skeet shooting, white water rafting and the glorious scenery.

I plan to return in the near future. Again, I want to thank the Black Mountain Ranch for a wonderful week.

Jim from St. Louis, Mo

'

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank Janet197144885
Poole, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 September 2012

This holiday was by far the best we have ever been on! The setting, the staff, the horses, the activities, the food and the bar, all fantastic. We did so much research before we went, looking at different ranches, reviews, photos etc and BMR looked by far the best, and its all true!! You are made to feel like one of the family as soon as you arrive. The food was absolutely out of this world thanks to Bob, Andy and the rest of the kitchen crew. The wranglers tailored your day to suit exactly what you wanted to do and nothing was too much trouble. The ride out to the top of Black Mountain is a must, the scenery was out of this world. The evening meal at Jakes Lake and pack camp also had amazing scenery and were a lot of fun but watch out for the margueritas they are stronger than they look :) !
It doesn't matter what your level of riding ability is, by the time you leave you will be much better. We only had a few lessons before we went and were galloping along tracks by mid week.
The cattle drive and calf roping / branding was a fantastic experience too. The roping takes a bit of practice and raises a few laughs between guests, nothing is taken too seriously.
The saloon was a nice touch at the end of the day with guests, wranglers, kitchen staff and owners all playing pool and having a couple of beers together.
The cabins all have log burners in them that creates the perfect end of the day for when you collapse on the sofa after a full day of riding ( If that is what you decide to do).
We made a lot of friends during the week and we were sorry when it was time to leave.
We are definately planning on a return trip and can highly recommend this as the ranch to visit if you want the holiday of a lifetime.
A big thankyou to Nowell and the rest of the May family and staff.....see you soon!

Room Tip: Get one near the saloon / dining hall, its up hill to the cabins. Columbine cabin is nearest.
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank B-H-Lamb
Boulder, Colorado, United States
Reviewed 23 September 2012

This is definitely an experience well worth your time (and money). I was absolutely in love with the grand vistas, simple living, and freedom from tech that we found here. For lack of a better word, the staff is REAL: they have a welcoming, "down home," hands-on presence that is reassuring and makes for a gradual but challenging and fun integration into life on a functional ranch.

NOTE: If you hate the outdoors this is not for you. If you can't put your cell phone down, this may be just the therapy you're looking for to unplug and ENJOY your freedom from information overload.

If you're down to get your hands dirty, have fun, learn new skills and meet some truly amazing folks, give Black Mountain Ranch a try. (And yes, I loved shooting at the range and working with the horses.)

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank Mandaline G
New York City, New York
Reviewed 12 September 2012

What an amazing vacation! My (new) husband and I chose Black Mountain Ranch for our honeymoon. It might seem a bit crazy to spend your honeymoon on a Dude Ranch but it was exactly what we were looking for and I can't recommend it enough!

During our week on the Ranch we met families and independent travelers - the Ranch can handle any group of travelers, all you have to do is bring your adventurous spirit.

The staff are so warm and truly lovely. They are great with kids, great with adults who are kids at heart and great with adjusting city folks to life on a working cattle ranch.

The setting could not be more stunning. Every day you're surrounded by horses and landscapes as far as the eye can see. Your daily schedule is really up to you! Trail riding, arena riding, a trip to the shooting range, learning to rope, playing horseshoes, shooting pool, take a swim in the pool, go rafting, fishing, canoeing...see what I mean!

One night dinner is served at the lake, you ride there and back. One night everyone sleeps out at Pack Camp, and you ride back the next day. You pick the difficulty of your ride (easy, medium, hard) and once you arrive at Pack Camp your tent is set up and hot food is waiting for you. Plus campfire songs and the most beautiful night sky and stars you could ever imagine.

The food is so delicious with lots of options for your whole family. Breakfast and lunch are buffet-style and most days you order breakfast at dinner from a few options. Plus endless cookies on hand fresh-baked daily.

I love vacations like this - limited decisions! All you have to do is pick a few things every day and the rest is taken care of.

Your wrangler is your guide for the week but anyone on the property will help you with questions and everyone has skills they're really great at and willing to share their tips and tricks from practicing roping to learning to Texas 2-step in the saloon in the evenings. Kids included!

Your horse is your best friend for the week. You'll be shocked at how much more comfortable you feel on a hose by the end of the week. This goes for both experienced and non-experienced riders.

Not having a cell phone was a blessing and we didn't miss it one bit. What a treat to really be on vacation and not be attached to your phone. There is limited wifi, but we didn't use it and didn't miss that either. There are of course phones on the property and ways to check back in with work/family if you have to.

Towards the end of the week, I mentioned to some of the families that I was surprised not to see one single kid meltdown or anyone not smiling all the time - the parents all agreed that since there were endless options and activities the kids were always occupied and that left everyone happy and tired at the end of the day. Same goes for adults!

As for us, it was a really romantic trip. We had tons of time to spend alone in the wilderness but also time to get to know some really cool families and some amazing staff, cowboys, cowgirls and wranglers.

Thank you to the May Family at Black Mountain Ranch for over 20 years of service. It was absolutely a vacation we'll never forget and will be telling friends about for years and years to come.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
6 Thank sloanedavidson

Been to Black Mountain Ranch? Share your experiences!