“The best vacation!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Mc Coy
Black Mountain Ranch
Reviewed 14 August 2013

My stay at Black Mountain Ranch far exceeded my expectations. Not only was the location breath-takingly beautiful, but the May family and staff at BMR were very friendly and accommodating. There were many activities to choose from and even if you aren't a serious rider, you will never be bored. The horses were incredible and the staff made us feel like family. And not to mention the food! We were never hungry and since I'm not a big meat-eater, the kitchen staff made sure there were meat alternatives available that were delicious! I look forward to going back someday.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
There are newer reviews for Black Mountain Ranch

Reviewed 12 August 2013 via mobile

Awesome experience! Incredible food with wide variety and superb quality. Nice family-owned and operated place with friendly and knowledgeable staff. We loved the different adventures they offered, even off of the ranch. It seemed like we were adopting a new lifestyle when there. It was great to be disconnected from technology too. Just be prepared that tips (for all sraff members) are not included and will be collected at the end of the trip. The trip was so much fun and we highly recommend it!

• Stayed: August 2013
1  Thank asherrn
Reviewed 10 August 2013

Black Mountain Ranch has superior horses, fantastic wranglers, spectacular scenery & trail rides, great food & really good people. My husband doesn't ride, but he had plenty of activities to choose from. We loved our cabin. We are going back next year. A big thank you to the May Family & their incredible crew. We look forward to seeing you next year.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 August 2013

We are still talking about being at Black Mountain Ranch...we completely fell in love with the scenery, the horses, our wrangler and the entire May Family. It was an incredible experience and we will certainly miss the friends that we made on this vacation. This trip will leave you feeling a sense of accomplishment at the end of the week...and a great deal of gratitude for life and all that we are able to enjoy. From pack camp, to the trail rides, to white water rafting and finally, the cattle drive...it was a vacation to remember! We can't wait to go back!!

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 6 August 2013

Wow!!! What an experience! My daughter and I recently spent a week at Black Mountain Ranch with my parents. This was our first Dude Ranch experience and I am so thankful it was at BMR! We were sold on the ranch as soon as we saw the 'Outtakes' video on the website. I'm sure many ranches have beautiful vistas and horses, but BMR has something more! The trust and comfort that is born out of the small, family feel, the friendly wranglers, the technology-free atmoshpere and the attention to details allows BMR to put together a truly top-rate experience with a down-to-earth energy. Every day I was awed by the majestic beauty of the location, the the nature of the horses and the dedication of the BMR wranglers and family. My daughter was the only one who had ever really ridden a horse before going to the ranch, but that was no problem as our wonderful wrangler, Victoria, together with everyone else on staff, took the mystery and 'fear' out of riding. We were able to ride every day, with options to accommodate all levels of interest and ability! And yet the week was not limited to horse riding. There is so much more to do and see! Whitewater rafting down the Colorado (wow...awe-inspiring vistas), the Rodeo in Steamboat (a first for us!) target shooting on the ranch, reading books by the pool, two-stepping in the saloon, card games for the whole family, singing, dancing, sleeping under the stars, the cattle drive...meeting and making new friends. The list goes on! The staff was accommodating and helpful, going above and beyond to facilitate a positive experience for us all! The riding was experience was tailored to each guest allowing for a safe and exciting experience - every day! The food was fantastic - every morning, noon and night! The wranglers (and all other staff) were fun, friendly and attentive from sunrise until all the guests had returned to their cabins. The only part that made us sad was having to leave at the end of the week. We do not want this to be a once in a lifetime experience as we hope to return again and again! My daughter (13) is already dreaming of becoming a wrangler at BMR! I often criticize my teenage children for overusing the word 'Awesome', but I can say that our experience at BMR was truly AWESOME!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank KristenGondola
Reviewed 2 August 2013

Over the past 10 years, I have been to 5 dude ranches in different states. This was my best experience to date and I truly could have stayed another 2 weeks there. Since our husbands weren't riders, I went with one of my best girlfriends. We had a darling 2 bedroom, one bath cabin that was perfect for the both of us. We are both experienced riders, so I was extremely picky about the ranch that I chose, as I would be bored to death with nose to tail horse riding. I quizzed the owners extensively on the phone about all sorts of thing since I was an "experienced dude rancher." Overall, everything they told me about their place was right on the money and if anything I felt that BMR exceeded my expectations. The horses were terrific. I rode several that week and they were all responsive, healthy horses with a lot of get up and go. However their were a few families there with kids and they had the perfect horses for their ability as well. I'm not a super picky eater, but I have to say that their food was truly gourmet and the tastiest I've had at any ranch. I also really liked how much the owners (big family) intermingled with all the quests in a really casual way. They were honestly concerned with our experience and would bend over backwards for us in any way.

Being that I work in a very demanding job with long hours, it was really nice to see that this ranch ran on a flexible schedule as far as the riding goes. I didn't have to roll out of bad at the crack of dawn for this or that. I felt like I truly got a chance to fully relax. I would definitely go back and bring a entourage of girlfriends with me.

I read the review from Skottr and I have to say, he took all the words out of my mouth, so I won't go on anymore.

Room Tip: We stayed in the Ridge Creek which was in the back of the complex and very quiet, nice view, and big...
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 29 July 2013

My family and I just returned from a truly exceptional week at Black Mountain Ranch. This was our second visit to a dude ranch, and we were joined by two college friends and their families. In short it we could not have asked for a better time and place to connect as a family and reconnect with our friends.

Highlights from the trip included:

- Great horseback riding at different levels, as little or as much as we wanted, including a terrific week end cattle drive
- Fun and helpful staff that took great care to proactively exceed our needs and respond to the requests of both the adults and children
- Opportunity to shoot clay targets on a shooting range at the ranch
- whitewater rafting trip down the Colorado River
- A trip to the Eagle County Fair and rodeo
- Incredible food that was much more varied than we expected
- Fun playing games and dancing in the saloon
- An overnight camping trip at a picturesque location
- Fly fishing on the ranch
- Week end cocktail party at the owner’s beautiful house overlooking incredible views

We likely will have a return visit to the ranch in the future and highly recommend BMR for families and friends that want to disconnect from their phones and computers and connect with each other.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family

Been to Black Mountain Ranch? Share your experiences!