“Vacation of a Lifetime!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Mc Coy
Black Mountain Ranch
“Vacation of a Lifetime!”
Reviewed 18 August 2014

The May family of Black Mountain Ranch does everything first rate... from the 3 gourmet meals a day in the dining room to the dancing and singing in the on site Saloon. The staff of wranglers were personable, experienced and dedicated! Gabby, Nathan, Kyle, Chris, Brooke and Helen treated us like family. The riding was spectacular--- tailored for all experience levels. The scenery was beautiful. Guests could choose to do as much or as little riding as they wanted. Pack Camp under the Rocky Mountain stars was unbelievable. The mix of activities was perfect... the rodeo, whitewater rafting and the cattle drive were great. The vacation was a complete success!

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
Norway
Reviewed 10 August 2014

I have read most of the reviews and I totally agree with them all. Everything is perfect at the ranch, all of the staff, the location, the cabins, the food, the horses, the activities, the feeling of beeing safe and good taken care of.

It has been three weeks since we left the ranch and our children (7,11,12) ask us every day to please take them back next summer. They missed the ranch the minute we drowe down the road that sunday morning. They almost cried.

My children and my housband had never been on a horse before, but that was not a problem at all. Now they love riding!

I spent hours and hours searching the internett finding the perfect ranch for my family. Black Mountain Ranch met all of my wishes and more. We came all the way from Norway with high hopes, and they all came through.
We all would love to come back another year!

2 Thank Anne-Mari1975
Brenham, TX
Reviewed 6 August 2014

My husband and I took 2 grandkids (both 9, girl & boy) for the last week in July. Neither had any riding experience. Victoria, our wrangler for the week, went over and above to ensure their safety, fun, and that they left with a positive experience. The ranch is gorgeous, food was over the top (thanks chef Bob!). Cabin was great, wonderful decor in all the buildings, raft trip was a blast! Overnight campout, even in the drizzle, was amazing! Variety of activities made each day unique and exciting. We don't know how they can improve. The ranch capacity of 40 allows for intimate interaction if you so choose. Thanks Nowell, kaylee, Bryce, Ryan, and all your wranglers etc for making our trip with the grandkids a lifetime memory! We hope to return in several years with our now 2 - 6 yr old grand girls. Sandi and Gary Appelt, Brenham, TX

Room Tip: Aspen cabin was a great 2-bedroom 2 bath (loft with twins and bath)
Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Maldives
Reviewed 4 August 2014

I was looking for a new adventure ten years ago and I found Black Mountain Ranch by chance.

I have never been anywhere so magical and it exceeded all of my expectations.

Now I have kids and could not wait to take them to this wonderful place and it didn't let me down.

The place hasn't changed much which is great as I loved the authenticity of the ranch.

The staff are amazing and cannot do enough for you and they are great with the kids.

I have stayed in the best hotels and in the best places in the world and nothing has made me feel more happier than being on this ranch with my kids.

I cannot wait to go back - am missing it already.

Well done Noël and the gang!

Omaha, Nebraska
Reviewed 4 August 2014

I had the extreme pleasure of staying at Black Mountain Ranch last week with my wife. Everything was top notch - from the food, the riding, the staff, the accommodations and the view. Everywhere we looked was like looking at the most perfect postcard. Nowell May has put together a dream ranch and we're all lucky that he was willing to share it with the world. He's also hired some of the friendliest staff you could ask for. Everyone was so helpful and welcoming. As it was just my wife and I, we kept saying to each other how much our kids would have loved it. We're already planning how we can get them up there with us the next time we visit. If you're looking for the very best dude ranch experience, either as a couple or as a family, you have to give BMR a try. You will be absolutely blown away.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
San Diego, California
Reviewed 3 August 2014

Black Mountain Ranch was the hardest place I have ever had to leave! My family of ages 6 - 69 had the adventure of a lifetime. We were amazed at the caliber of staff working at the ranch. The website was compelling in our search for a dude ranch, but the experience itself was beyond belief. The beauty of the area is awe inspiring and we all will keep a piece of it in our hearts until we can return.

Annapolis, Maryland
Reviewed 30 July 2014

Want to go to paradise for a week? That’s what Black Mountain Ranch (BMR) was like for us! But don’t think you’ll be treated like royalty. No, instead you’ll be treated like a good friend. BMR is loaded with adventure, peace, beauty, attention to detail, scrumptious meals and a family atmosphere!

BMR is a family run business where owner Nowell makes sure the “ideal” is in effect. Jake’s Lake is pristine, serene and stocked with trout. I fly fished for my first time, learning from Gabby, a wrangler whose dad is a pro fisherman. I joyously caught a trout in 20 minutes! Our son had two bait rods in at the same time and caught 7 trout! We went swimming to the raft in the middle of the lake, also canoed, and listened to the guitarist while we ate a fresh steak dinner cooked by Nowell and his beautiful Kaylee.

Bryce’s (the brother owner) warmth and wisdom engages us all as he manages the stable, wranglers and events. Lively Ryan, Nowell’s son, and his crew build and maintain the magnificent vaulted log cabins while Ryan also makes and installs his practical, lovely and creative towel, T.P. and hat racks out of iron horseshoes. Other members of the extended family also work, hands on – while the matriarch, Diane, unobtrusively graces everyone at every meal.

BMR has a family atmosphere without dumbing down. Every person is brought up to a new and higher level of skill. I love adventure, so I was blessed to horseback ride with our children for hours, learn how to cattle drive, rope a steer, brand a calf and barrel race. My husband preferred reading and resting. No one looks down on anyone for whatever their choices. Unconditional acceptance and respect abound on this seemingly laid back ranch. Our whole family enjoyed trap shooting, riding the rapids, the rodeo, star gazing, and the family saloon leather making and games. It was all terrific!

The down to earth, congenial and highly skilled wranglers do all they can to ensure that you get just what you want out of your vacation. They give you options and you can ask for more, too. Plus there are many cute farm animals, yet there is barely any poop to be seen. Everything is spacious, neat, very organized and clean. Amazing!

Chef Bob makes sure that the three balanced meals a day are filled with variety, plenty, beauty, uniqueness and are absolutely delicious for any palate! We gained weight, which we are losing just as fast as we put it on ~

For me, BMR is filled with eye-candy. Gazing at dawn from my extra wide cabin’s porch at the mountains, how they change color every few minutes; The cows, Shetland ponies, baby goats and donkeys grazing beside the colorful flowers, the logs inside the pure log cabin and the cabin’s distinctive decorations, the wild flowers on the dining room tables, the lack of internet so we can take in everything undisturbed, seeing your family riding atop of healthy horses as you ride behind, watching the smiles and friendly, heartfelt kindness of those who work tirelessly to serve, listening to the faces singing around the campfire and watching the stars high in the sky at camp night, viewing and smelling the sage brush along the mountain slopes from the heated swimming pool, seeing your horse graze on the freshly laid hay as you drive up the mountain to the last BMR event on Saturday evening, and much more.

Going to BMR is a trip of a lifetime. I recommend that you go with an open mind and heart, and see what happens! Enjoy! God's blessings to you!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family

Been to Black Mountain Ranch? Share your experiences!