“Lots of character and takes you back in time”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Monte Villa Inn

Monte Villa Inn
Ranked #4 of 4 Hotels in Monte Vista
“Lots of character and takes you back in time”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 July 2014

My daughter and were doing a cross country trip and loved this hotel. The Monte Villa has a fabulous old elevator that has been totally renovated. The gathering area in the main entry has a zebra head over the old world bar. You almost expect Hemingway to walk across the room. Our room was spacious with a new bed and wonderful bath. It was also very quiet. If you tired of staying in the same old chain motels/hotels the Monte Villa is for you.

Room Tip: Request a newly renovated room.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Gini L

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Aurora, Colorado
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 June 2014 via mobile

I was in town for business and all the other hotels had raised rates due to local events so I tried this very local establishment. I was Leary because it was built in 1933 but boy was I surprised. The rooms had been renovated and as the girl at the desk said I got the best bathroom in the place. Very nice new shower. Great new king bed and very nice tv . The people at the desk were very helpful and offered a rate for repeat visits. I sell in the area and will be back. No more chains for me. Ps the cafe was fabulous with true home cooked food.

• Stayed June 2014
1 Thank david B
Sandy, Utah
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 October 2013 via mobile

I was here for work and stayed 2 months, its an old place that the owner and his team have put alot of hard work into , staff was awesome and friendly , its very clean and rooms are nice , there food is excellent and would recommend staying here to anyone in the area

• Stayed September 2013
Denver, Colorado
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 October 2013

The Monte Villa Inn is a great place to stay in Monte Vista, CO. It is an older hotel with a lot of character, and the employees are very kind, attentive, and welcoming. I stayed there for a night on business and my room was fairly small (as I said it is an older building), but it was very comfortable. It is situated right in the middle of town, walking distance from everything. There is a cool bar and coffee shop in the main floor of the hotel also.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
Colorado
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 September 2013

I really enjoyed the room the night we checked in. It's a lot like stepping back in time. I would share more had the morning gone better. We arrived very late and we were awaken by two very rude housekeepers literally barging into the room about 9AM. After getting them out of the room, we had to listen to them talking smack outside the door for at least 20 minutes. We had a schedule and would have stuck to it had we not had to listen to unruly, rude, and loud housekeeper's hanging around outside our door talking smack. I'm not easily offended, but I honestly couldn't believe what I was hearing. "F*** them! They're just gonna F*****g sleep all day." I would have only had one complaint in the blinds, but the housekeeper's took this experience to the next level.

On another note, black out blinds would be good for anyone wanting to sleep a few minutes after sunrise.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends
Cheyenne, Wyoming
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 June 2013

Stayed two nights in June 2013. The beautifully restored hotel was a step back in time. The room was clean, comfortable, and quiet. Initially I had planned on eating out at the numerous restaurants in Monte Vista and Alamosa; however, the food in the hotel restaurant proved to be properly priced and so good that it wasn't necessary to dine anywhere else. The owner/manager, John Nelson, was helpful, informative, and personable. He was a fountain of information on the history of the hotel, on Monte Vista, on the San Luis Valley, and on a host of subjects. As for the hotel staff and the overall service - excellent. All of the staff were friendly and helpful. My wife and I travel frequently but she could not accompany me on this trip. After hearing my "rave" review, she convinced me to make a return trip in the near future and to stay in the same hotel!

Room Tip: Ask for a room that has been completely renovated. Most have been but per other reviews, it is poss...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled solo
3 Thank Jerry S
Salisbury, North Carolina
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 June 2013

Stayed one night in June 2013. The elevator had been damaged by a rodeo participant, so we schlepped our luggage up three flights of stairs. Our friend's toilet would not flush. Air conditioning works by turning a 1950s era knob to let in more cool air. No closets.To use the commode, you had to slide under the sink. I took a picture, it was so bizarre. My wife said it was the perfect arrangement if you had the stomach flu. Street noise was maximal; the hotel is on a major highway and it is ten feet from the road. Beds were comfortable, however. Honestly, the place looked like something out of The Shining without the snow. Until renovations are complete, I'd avoid this place.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
Riverside Inn of Alamosa
Riverside Inn of Alamosa
#9 of 13 in Alamosa
BEST WESTERN Alamosa Inn

Been to Monte Villa Inn? Share your experiences!