Mt Princeton Riding Stables & Equestrian Center
Ranked #2 of 14 things to do in Nathrop
Reviewed 28 July 2013

We had been riding here six years ago and came back this year. Our rangler was very knowledgeable and friendly and we all had a nice ride through the mountains. If you want a nice ride, use them.

All reviews
"chilli"
"can't wait to go back"
in 6 reviews

Reviewed 5 July 2013

This was a package deal where we went whitewater rafting with The Adventure Company in the morning, then went on a 2 hour horseback ride in the afternoon. The property was very clean and you can tell the owners and guides take pride in the stables and the horses. Even though our greeting wasn't the greatest, she still cracked a smile here-and-there.

Mike, our guide for the horseback ride, was very knowledgeable and kind. My 13 year old stepdaughter has a good amount of experience with horses because of her Grandparents, so after some "test" questions from Mike, he ended up letting her lead us for almost half of the ride (these horses know the trails and only need minimal coaching from their riders to go where they are supposed to go).

One of the reasons for going on a horseback ride is to get away from the noise of the city so you can see and hear the beauty of nature; Mike has this same philosophy. Even with our 13 year old, redheaded, ADHD daughter and 11 year old son, the ride was relaxing and a great way to bring the day to a close.

We really enjoyed our ride, and were lucky to have Mike taking care of us. When we come back to the area, we are going to go on the 3/4 day ride, and will be requesting Mike as our guide.

1  Thank Esundance
Reviewed 26 June 2013

We had two great guides and our kids ages 6 and 8 were delighted by the experience. The scenery is magnificent and the trail fun and just enough challenge for an inexperienced rider like me.

Reviewed 18 June 2013

This is a very relaxing way to go look at the back country. The horses were easy, the trail was different the from straight flat routes I'm used to when I pay for trail rides - we crossed the creek twice, there was a bit of up and down hill. Experienced riders may find it too tame, but I suspect they would find any trail ride that way.

The scenery is wonderful. Because the horses are so tame, feel free to bring your camera and grab a few shots.

The staff is courteous and the wranglers along the trail were watchful and sweet.

I kissed my horse and walked like a cowboy when I was done.

See more reviews
Reviewed 14 August 2012

I was very excited to get to show my guests from the midwest some of my home state on horseback. Unfortunately, I picked the WRONG people to help me do that.

We signed up for a 2-hour ride, and were sure to arrive 30 minutes early after reading of that requirement on Wilderness Aware's website. I went in to check in with the woman at the front desk, and was greeted with a long, annoyed exhalation. During the entire sign-in process she made me and my guests feel like we were a huge inconvenience for her. She rudely asked us questions about our riding experience, didn't listen to our answers, and then had to rudely ask us again. She asked if any of us would like to ride a mule instead of a horse... ummm NO, I paid (a lot of money) for a HORSE ride!

Our ride was set to start at 11, so we were there before 10:30. They didn't saddle us up until noon, by which time we had finished all the water we were supposed to bring on the ride-- we were baking for an hour and a half with no shade waiting for the ride to start.

When we finally did get saddled up, one of the wranglers made his first of many offensive comments to me. I wasn't getting my foot in the stirrup quite right and he said, "I don't know why women can never get their feet straight in the stirrup.". Yes I am a woman, and yes, I was having a small bit of trouble with the stirrup, but those two facts have nothing to do with eachother. He went on later in the ride to brag about his sexual conquests while traveling in Alaska, and to insinuate that my platonic male friend and I were secretly sexual partners. Then near the end of the ride, he really tried to ham it up and get friendly in order to get a big tip out of everyone on the ride. I couldn't appreciate the scenery because this guy wouldn't stop talking!

Also, beware if you bring a dog along with you. We kept our dog in the car (air conditioner on with a non-horseback riding friend). I wanted to take him out to pee before and after the ride. Both times he was all but attacked by the dogs they let run loose at the stables. They came barking and snarling and snapping at my dog. How welcoming.

I was so disappointed and upset by this whole experience. We should have just gone on a hike.

4  Thank Beth S