“Colorado Cattle Company - An Unbelievable Experience"”

Colorado Cattle Company
Waller, Texas
“Colorado Cattle Company - An Unbelievable Experience"”
Reviewed 12 May 2014

A working vacation? Sounds pretty ridiculous doesn’t it! Trust me; the experience you will get at Colorado Cattle Company is like none you will have anywhere else!
I have been coming to Colorado Cattle Company for a few years now, and the staff that Tom and Darcy Carr (the Owners) have assembled is phenomenal! I truly mean that! From top to bottom the staff is fantastic! Especially related to the new Wranglers! Lisa is an awesome horse-woman that will make anyone with any level of riding ability better! Jim has been there done that and has a million stories/experiences to share. Matt is a great all around Cowboy. And Isaac the same, funny and knows a lot about horses and cows. Together the four make an unbelievable and fun team. The planning and communication is great. From gathering and saddling the horses, to the morning and afternoon tasks, the Wranglers keep you well informed and what you need to do and how to do it.
If you plan on using this trip to lose weight, forget it! Sheila and Jake will keep you well fed with fresh salads and good, scratch that, great home cooked food! I probably, maybe, kinda , gaining 10 pounds this week! You betcha Mister!
The rooms are authentic to the ranch, with the bunk house rooms are named and themed for the different pastures on the property. The cabins are duplex cabins that are also decorated in the cowboy theme. The pool room includes a sauna and heated pool, and hot tub helps tremendously after a long day in the saddle.
The views are great, food is fantastic, and the Wranglers make it fun and exciting. A truly unbelievable experience, one that you can’t wait to book you next trip!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
Bristol, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 May 2014

If the animals are friendly you can guarantee their owners are friendly!

Right from the get go we were all made to feel welcome!

The owners Tom and Darcey are a close couple and so obviously in love, it was a pleasure to be a part of their world for the week.

The accommodation has been carefully thought about by them, and suggestions from previous guests have been listened to and updates and finishing touches have been added. For example hairdryers, alarm clocks (for your wonderfully early starts to collect the horses in every morning) to name but two.

The food was outstanding and as they say if you go hungry it’s your own fault! Each meal was excellently prepared and delivered and was delicious beyond belief.

The Wranglers Jim (who was full of stories and easy to speak to), Matt (who is calm and gentle and had an easy way about him) and Princess (Lisa) (who was full of fun and taught me a whole new way of being around our 4 legged friends, which was gentle but firm when necessary) they were full of fun really and advice on all things cowboy/cowgirl was freely given with an attitude that nothing was too much trouble, and they genuinely enjoyed each guests company. The assessed our riding experience and from that chose a suitable horse, and the first morning was a ‘get to know your horse’ and for me it was a lesson in western style riding. They impressed upon us if we were not happy with our mount we could change at any time.

All of the horses were polite and very well trained and the tack was of the highest standard and maintained wonderfully. My horse especially Lil (as I now have the uttermost respect for her abilities to read a situation and to act accordingly and to respond to directions from me, even with being patient with me whilst I learnt what triggers and what type of pressure and instructions to give her).

During my week (first week of May 2014) we encountered all four seasons so pack accordingly.
Your day is discussed by the wranglers with the group and weather permitting you get as many hours in the saddle you can handle.

If you have any doubts or any requests any of the staff will help you out, so don’t be afraid to ask!
My thoughts on my most adventure holiday. I thoroughly enjoyed myself and it was like I was in my own film about the Wild West. I learnt so many new skills all with humor and excellent advice. I posted my updates each day on Facebook and people who I had not spoken to in 30 years (People I once knew at school) messaged me and liked my posts. I ate far too much but with the exercise we were getting I did not put any weight on (which was a nice surprise for me when I got home). I could go on and on about what we did but that would spoil your own adventure!

As Jim the wrangler says ‘ALRIGHTY THEN’

Room Tip: All the rooms are wonderful!
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
Kettering, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 October 2013

I spent 10 days at colorado cattle at the beginning of August. I loved my time there, the horses are well looked after, happy and wiling. I rode Shiloh and Lilly, lots of cattle driving in including a trip on the last day to help move his herd, this is the real deal. I travelled solo and was made to feel so welcome, particularly by jake and Sheila. See you next year!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
Ballarat, Australia
Reviewed 13 September 2013

had another two weeks at the ranch aug24 -sept8 this place gets better everyear,the wonderful staff make things so great even though the weather was quite warm the pool was a blessing what can you say about tom and darcy they are so friendly the wranglers Justin,alainna and who can forget issac made my stay the best.this ranch wont suit everyone as it is a working ranch but if that is what you want check it out cant wait to return next year.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
3 Thank colin c
Ilkley, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 September 2013

This is an extremely well run & welcoming true ranch experience. The scenery is stunning, the horses are really well looked after & a pleasure to ride, and the people there are pretty special. Activities vary from day to day and the food is amazing. You are really made to feel part of the family & they make every effort to accommodate your every wish. It is a truly remarkable & special place & I think I've left a little piece of my heart there.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Helen C
Naples, Maine
Reviewed 27 August 2013

Just returned from a week at the CCC with 10 other women. The facilities were outstanding, the horses welll cared for with suitability for all skill levels, the food delicious, plentiful, and always fresh, the staff friendly and welcoming, the rooms spotlessly clean and well decorated, the pool a welcome "perk". This is a "working" ranch. You will pick up the corral,brush your horses, help with fences, etc. This was my 4th trip of this kind and the CCC is at the top of my list.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank ExToothLady
Reviewed 29 July 2013 via mobile

This place offers you a unique and amazing experience with open space, horses and the real cowboys life! I loved it sooo much I was seriously depressed when I left! the food was excellent, the rooms well decorated and clean. The horses super healthy and happy, the owners so kind and accomodating, truly a magic place where to forget about your every day routine and to get in touch with something beautiful

• Stayed July 2013

Been to Colorado Cattle Company? Share your experiences!