Open today: 00:00 - 23:59
Review Highlights
Bring some shade.

There are very few trees and no covered picnic areas. The marina offers limited services. Great... read more

Reviewed 15 January 2019
CatRancherOC
Oak Creek, Colorado
Beautiful Reservoir

We opted to walk around the reservoir with the dogs ( on leash only ) but not a lot of shade for... read more

Reviewed 2 September 2018
mprimco
Arvada, Colorado
via mobile

All reviews steamboat springs ice fishing day pass piece fish swim beach beautiful scenery shore boating reservoir lures gear wildlife hiking hike activity
Reviewed 30 August 2016 via mobile

A nice place to base your visit to the Steamboat Springs Area. The lake fishing was typical late summer (better early and late) and the tail waters were awesome out side of peak periods. Campsites were well maintained and the staff were friendly. They have a year round event schedule and a great free loaner gear program (ice and lake fishing gear, snowshoes, GPS units, horse shoes, etc).

4  Thank Travelhungry79
Reviewed 20 August 2016 via mobile

This was my first time camping in a CO state park and I probably wouldn't visit again. The camping fees are high for a site without hookups and the fee to stay in the state park is an additional $7/day. There is zero shade and only a handful of trees in the campground which gives you little privacy from neighboring campers. The biggest reason I didn't enjoy my time was that we felt uncomfortable with the constant patrolling by the camp host and camp rangers. The camp hosts drove their side by side around the grounds several times a day, stopping at every site, walking around to see what everyone was doing...very strange. They did their morning and evening checks at 8 am and 10 pm every day and would park their loud vehicle running right outside our tent camper waking up our 10 month old baby each time. This mixed with rangers driving through the campground 5 times each day and you feel like you are constantly being watched. This didn't seem like a good use of the park's resources (no wonder it costs so much) and it took away from the feeling of being out in nature. I'd have more privacy if I set up a tent in my front yard. The strangest part was we even saw the host's wife standing on top of the hill by her site looking down into everyone's sites to see what they were up to. I've camped in many places and never had an experience like this. I wouldn't spend the time or money to camp this way. We stayed in the Harding Spur loop.

3  Thank ctrcolorado
Reviewed 19 August 2016

Friends of ours had highly recommended Stagecoach State Park when they visited the area several years ago. We were excited when personal plans ended up taking us to the Steamboat area and decided to make camping reservations for both trips. Our experience from the first trip was not overly positive so we cancelled our reservations for the second trip. The area is very scenic but the park is over managed which inhibits achieving any feeling of serenity.

The positives - The park sits in an open valley with scenic views of the surrounding mountains. There is very little light pollution which offers spectacular star gazing. If you go bring your telescope or even a good pair of binoculars. Fishing during my visit was good but not great. I had luck fly fishing for both Pike and Trout. I talked to several bait fishermen during our trip and they said fishing was below average. Some camping sites border the lake and if you are lucky to get one of these you could wake up in the morning and be fishing after a 20 yard walk. The park is only 20 minutes from Steamboat so not a big deal if you forget anything.

The Negatives - The staff while mostly friendly were a bit intrusive. Every hour between 6:00 am and 11:00pm the camp host would slowly drive through the campsite on a side by side motorized ATV. I assume he was checking on the campsites but I really don't know. One evening at 11:00 he left his rig running a few feet from our camper making it difficult to sleep. Combine this with the 6 different uniformed Park Officers that cruised through the campsite area at least 2 times a day and you certainly felt like you were in the safest (and most policed) place in Colorado. Two of the officers had a habit of leaving their trucks running in the middle of the road while they walked through the campsites. This resulted in frequent traffic jams in a campground that had perhaps 40 sites. On day one I thought they might be investigating a crime scene but by day four I realized this was just their standard daily operating procedure. Don't get me wrong, I greatly respect and support our police force. The problem is I live in a big city and frankly wanted a little solitude. Not to mention I did not see any criminal activity going during my stay. OK, perhaps two sites down I think the guy camping in the Airstream may have had vodka in his orange juice but that is only a theory.

Other Intangibles For basically primitive camping (No hookups) the daily fees are a little high. When you add in the daily park pass the fee is more than $30/day and this is for a gravel site with no hookups. I guess when you consider the camper to park officer ratio they do need to charge a little more. Also, we heard one park officer tell a young family camping next to us who had a dog that the park staff would prefer that dogs not be in the park. While not against the rules he made it clear Stagecoach is not a dog friendly campground. Depending on your position on dogs this could be good or bad. Finally, to access the majority of lake will require a lengthy hike if you do not have a boat. Also, much of it appears to be blocked by private access if you do not have a boat. This could be a plus or minus depending if you have a boat.

Date of experience: July 2016
5  Thank lindaD3759VK
Reviewed 8 August 2016

whether to give it a 3 or a 4......so it gets the benefit of the doubt. We made reservations 3 days before arrival and stayed 7/31 and 8/1 in site #13....Junction City Campground.
Because we are a 20 foot Pleasure-Way the van goes with us when we leave the site. TWICE our mat was missing......it was thought we had left.?????

We did walk Pinnacle CG and even tho the sites ARE a bit more level and larger....we liked Junction City.

We had not used our inflatable Sea Eagle kayak in years, but got the hang of blowing it up and in the water PRONTO. There were NOT many boats on the water and that was fine with us!

We found it took almost 30 minutes to get to the town of Steamboat Springs. We have friends who have been living there for 21 years.

Will we get back?????? Who knows? From Boulder it is a schlepp and a half.

1  Thank morewierd
Reviewed 11 May 2016

We have a home approximately 2 miles from the park so we get to make use of it all seasons of the year. I mostly have fished the reservoir but we have also picnicked and used the trails for snowshoeing in the winter. People we know like the campgrounds. Colorado Parks and Wildlife does a good job on maintaining the restroom facilities year round.

Date of experience: April 2016