“Above and beyond”

Ranked #3 of 8 Ouray B&B and Inns
San Francisco, California
“Above and beyond”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 September 2013

My fiancee and I became husband and wife a few weekends back and opted for the Secret Garden as the location for our ceremony and reception. We could not have been happier with our choice. It is a special place that we will undoubtedly revisit in the coming years (perhaps someday with kids in tow).

The grounds are meticulously landscaped, and feature elegant floral accents that compliment the lush green lawn, delicate white fencing, and period architecture of the building without dominating it or detracting from the surrounding natural beauty of the land. Inside, the facility has the feel of staying in a friend's well-kept home. The decor is tasteful and classy and fits the ambience of the historical small town and the surrounding San Juan Mountains. There aren't many rooms so your visit is personal and you will spend time getting to know your genial host, Sara Sharpe -- who has a knack for anticipating every need you will have while you stay -- as well as some of the other guests during breakfast.

And the food is amazing.

There is no menu, as she does an excellent job of assessing her guests to determine what will best suit their personal tastes and finds fresh local ingredients to prepare something that will please everyone.

When you plan your event, it's wonderful to have Sara in your corner. My wife and I were clueless about planning and she put our minds as much at ease as possible. She has helped host many weddings and does an excellent job assessing you and your future spouse to determine what exactly you want and need for your big day and she knows the routine for setting up a framework for the event upon which you can hang and set your own personal touches. She has connections all over town, even as far out as Grand Junction, so she can put you into contact with people for virtually everything you need, if you want.

Our wedding reception was about 70-75 guests and the space was more than adequate for that group. To be clear, the Secret Garden can't ROOM 75 guests, but it can accommodate them for a ceremony and reception just fine. And the catering that Sara provides is outstanding. She will work with you to prepare a personalized menu for your guests and, if you're stumped about what to offer them, will have plenty of delicious suggestions. After the wedding and the reception were finished, nearly all of our guests commented on what a pleasant experience they'd had, how much they had enjoyed the location, and how impressed they were by the quality of the catered food, which tasted like an individually prepared meal, versus a mass production.

And, while I won't go into detail, her pricing was exceptionally fair. It's always a good feeling when you spend the kind of money you do on a wedding and you feel like you got a good deal for what you paid.

Do yourself a favor and check this place out!

Room Tip: The master suite is worth the extra money. It has a really nice private bathroom with his and hers s...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Michael M

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 August 2013

Just like the Secret Garden in the novel, this place seems magical. The garden is the perfect place to sit, relax, and take in the awe of Colorado's breathtaking mountains. Sara's food is spectacular: quiche AND pancakes for breakfast one morning and French toast soufflé the next. The rooms are charming and reflect Sara's warm and welcoming personality. I feel as if we are now friends.

• Stayed August 2013
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 August 2013

From the moment I walked in Sara, the proprietor, made me feel at home. The garden is quite lovely and a respite from the world beyond the white iron gates. Sara's breakfasts were delicious. I especially liked the vegetarian quiche and homemade jam made from fruit trees in the "secret garden". Sara's charm and hospitality are the best I've ever experienced at a B&B. I can't wait until my next visit to the Secret Garden!

• Stayed August 2013
Grand Junction, Colorado
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 August 2013

We stayed 4 nights and had a wonderful time. Sara's breakfasts were wonderful. It is a very relaxing place to stay. The porch and garden area were beautiful with all the flowers. It is very close to downtown so we could walk where ever we wanted to go. we stayed in the upstairs bedroom which was very nice and had lots of room. There was also a table upstairs for us to work on our computers. We enjoyed staying there and hope to there again.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
Albuquerque NM
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 July 2013

The grounds of this B&B are quiet and peaceful. The rooms are nicely decorated, clean, and well kept. Sara, the owner, is gracious and an award winning chef. I stayed here on a ride up to and back from Salem OR and it's the nicest place I've stayed in Ouray so far.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 July 2013 via mobile

Sarah and her crew offer a great B&B experience at an excellent value. We were greeted with a happy hour featuring wine and snacks. The grounds at Secret Garden are landscaped beautifully and the back porch is particularly great. The rooms were clean and comfortable. Sarah makes a hearty breakfast. Highly recommend this B&B in Ouray.

• Stayed July 2013
Littleton, Colorado
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 June 2013

My husband and I stayed two nights at the Secret Garden. It is a beautiful property close to the river and walking distance from most everything. The bed was comfortable and the host, Sara, was very accommodating. Sara seems to have thought of everything you need - she offers towels to take to the hot springs, bath robes to use and there is a very nice hot tub if you don't want to go down town. The weekend we stayed was very hot and the property doesn't have AC so it made it a little uncomfortable. It's obvious that Sara loves what she does and puts her heart into it - from the garden to the food to the fresh flowers in the room.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
Secretgardenouray, Owner at Secret Garden, responded to this review, 5 July 2013
Thank you so much for your thoughtful and kind review. We do try hard! I believe you stayed in the Devonshire Room. With no real cross-ventilation to speak of, that room is definitely our "warmest." I do have a few small fans in there but your comments tell me that I need a bigger fan that will fit inside the window. We are all praying for rain, and our summer "monsoons," to begin and cool things down. I appreciate your comments and I will locate a larger fan to fit inside the window next time I go to town. We do have air conditioning in the Provencal Suite (both rooms) as those attic rooms would REALLY be warm without AC. I am so sorry you found your room too warm but appreciate you letting me know that I need a bigger fan in there! It will be here next time you come! Thanks for visiting Ouray and Secret Garden.