“My "home away from home" in Ouray - EXCELLENT!”

Ouray Victorian Inn
Ranked #6 of 15 Hotels in Ouray
Burlington, Canada
“My "home away from home" in Ouray - EXCELLENT!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 October 2010

I booked the Ouray Victorian Inn based on their website, TripAdvisor reviews, and the great price. I'm so happy I did - what a phenomenal property. Great location, stunning views, warm & welcoming hosts Jan & Brian, very comfortable and large rooms, and fantastic value.

We stayed in a 2 room family suite on the second level. The main (front) room was huge, with a queen bed, day bed, table and chairs, plenty of storage, and a new flat screen TV. The back room had a queen bed and dresser, and a door that opened to a private balcony with 2 chairs overlooking the Uncompahgre River. The two rooms connected through the washroom area with a large mirror & sink accompanied by well-selected complimentary toiletries, and a separate room for the toilet and bathtub. It must be mentioned that the shower had amazing pressure - great for relieving aching muscles.

The furnishings are older, which perfectly suits the Victorian style of the property and the solitude of Ouray. Trendy Euro-chic would be out of place in Ouray. The beds were very comfortable, with good linens. And, most important, the entire suite was absolutely spotlessly clean.

The property also offers 2 outdoor hot tubs surrounded by a large deck with patio tables and chairs. There is also an ample children's play area with quite a bit of playground equipment.

My friend took the main room, and I lucked out and got the back bedroom. With the windows open to the chilly fresh night air, and the gurgling waters of the Uncompaghre River below, I had my best night's sleep in months.

In the morning we enjoyed the short walk up the hill to Box Canyon before breakfast. A great way to work up an appetite for the array of food Jan provided. Excellent choice of various breads & muffins, yoghurts, fresh fruit, juices, and cook-your-own eggs - a great alternative to the typical precooked, runny, sneezed-upon scrambled eggs found in most "chain" hotels. My soft boiled egg turned out better than I make at home. Ready in just 8 minutes - enough time to relax and enjoy my first cup of wonderful coffee. The instructions are posted above the egg-cooker, and are simple to follow (add water, turn on). Ignore what that previous obtuse whiner posted about having to cook their own eggs - they're evidently illiterate, or more likely an ignoramus who doesn't deserve the hospitality of the Ouray Victorian Inn nor the beauty of Ouray itself.

I stay in hotels around the world about 25 nights per year - from budget motels to ultra-luxury exclusive 5+ star hotels - from Denver to Dubai ... and the Ouray Victorian Inn has now won a place in my top 10 of the hundreds of hotels I've enjoyed. I wish we were able to stay longer than just one night. I'll definitely return!

Thanks again Jan & Brian, and please give Rascal a scritch behind the ears and a belly rub for me.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled with friends
3 Thank TheEasyGoingGuy

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (89)
Denver, Colorado
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 October 2010

We thoroughly enjoyed our stay at the Ouray Victorian Inn. It was charming, extremely well maintained, and the staff was very friendly and helpful. The breakfast was very good - I would call it continental plus. In addition, the rates were very reasonable.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
Pueblo, Colorado
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 October 2010

Spotless, comfortable room. Great staff (owners). Couldn't have been more pleased.

• Stayed October 2010
Berkshire, UK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 October 2010

As a photographer, things don't get much better than Ouray in the fall, and so this is my third visit over a ten year period. The owners have changed but in most ways the inn hasn't, with spacious rooms and a good standard of comfort. Its a few minutes uphill walk to Ouray's main street, which is where the stores and restaurants/bars are to be found.

I've got very little negative to say about the hotel, the only comment being a persistent hum through the back window- suspect a mix of the stream and the electrivity sub- station on the other side. Not loud enough to disturb sleep though IMO. Ouray is great. It would be even better if there was a good restaurant /place for breakfast.- we were not able to find anywhere better than mediocre. We didn't try the Victorian's breakfast, preferring a full cooked breakfast

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
Colorado Springs, Colorado
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 October 2010

We loved staying at the Ouray Victorian Inn this past weekend. We enjoyed getting to know the owners at check-in and breakfast, they really made you feel welcome at their hotel. The 2 hot tubs were a great way to relax after a long day Jeeping. We will definitely stay here again in the future.

Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
Michigan
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 September 2010

We just returned from our Colorado vacation, an every 2-3 year event. This year, as in previous ones, we spent time at the Ouray Victorian Inn, this time for a week. We have always enjoyed the hotel, from its convenient location to its simple but clean rooms. This year, we met the new owners who had just agreed to purchase it two years ago when we were there--great people! Not only that, but they are committed to improving the hotel, and it shows. The exterior has been freshly painted, and the rooms are cleaner than ever. The breakfast has been expanded a bit and now includes the option to have eggs, soft or hard boiled. The rooms are equipped with wide screen television (if you find the need to watch it in this beautiful environment) and refrigerators. The towels are bigger and thicker than they used to be, and I understand air conditioning (which we've never needed during our stays in September) is next on the list of improvements. I highly recommend this establishment.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank drsm
fort collins
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 September 2010

just had another great imogene run weekend at the ouray victorian inn. we have stayed there 4-5 times over the years for various running events and have always enjoyed our visits. the rooms are simple but always clean and well attended. the continental breakfast provides for a variety of healthy options(cereal,oatmeal,toasts,muffins,juice,milk,coffee,teas) and my favorite--the hard boiled eggs. so what if you take 30 seconds to place your eggs and a cup of water in the egg boiler and then wait until they are ready. it gives you time to prepare your toast, waffles or whatever, have a cup of coffee and visit with your party or the always interesting guests that are having a bite to eat before hitting the san juans. i can only speak for myself and my experiences at the ouray victorian inn, but i'm already thinking about next year's trip for the imogene pass run.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled with family