“Spa Review”

Beaumont Hotel & Spa
Ranked #11 of 15 Hotels in Ouray
“Spa Review”
Reviewed 23 June 2014

My husband and I paid $365 for the Couples Romance Ritual spa package.

PROS: The front desk staff and my masseuse and my husband's masseur were all very polite and professional. The facilities were very clean and pleasing to the eye.

CONS: The hot tub had way too much chlorine in it. While I was in it my eyes were burning and tearing up and our skin was becoming itchy. So, before we had our massages, we took showers to wash off the chlorine. Our masseuses had a perplexed look on their faces and asked us why we took a shower before our massages. We told them about the chlorine issue and they told us that a woman earlier that day took a shower also because of the abundance of chlorine and itchy skin. They determined that the hot tub was most likely shocked that morning and that whoever did it used way too much chemicals. So, then we each had our massage in separate rooms and, thankfully, I didn't have itchy skin at all during the massage. However, my husband said he had to stop the massage every few minutes to deal with itchy skin and therefore it was not a pleasant, relaxing time for him at all. His masseur told him he should tell the front desk about his experience. We told the front desk girl about our experience and about the woman earlier who reacted poorly to the chlorine and she seemed very concerned and took our name and number and told us she'd have the owner or whoever is in charge call us. It's been four days now and no one from the hotel has called us. I think that if one pays $365 for a relaxing afternoon at the spa, they should get a relaxing afternoon at the spa. And if they don't, because of an error of the hotel/spa, then they should get compensated for it. I won't be going back to this spa. Spending that much money to be itchy during a suppose-to-be relaxing massage is a rip-off. My advice: make sure you check out the hot tub chemical level before paying. And if you don't react poorly to an overdose of chemicals, then go for it and have a relaxing massage. :)

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Jennifer B

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (87)
Santa Ana, California
Reviewed 16 June 2014 via mobile

This is a beautifully restored hotel, with excellent service. Perfect location. Very comfortable room with antiques and modern convenience. I was here for a family wedding and enjoyed my stay very much.

Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank beckyatlarge
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed 13 June 2014

The Beaumont is a gorgeous historic property right on main street, it has only 12 rooms so it feels very private and exclusive. We visited mid week so we felt like we had the entire hotel to ourselves. The staff is incredibly nice, the hotel is non-smoking so it smells great, the rooms are very very clean and beautiful, and they provide incredibly scented luxury bath products. We loved it and will definitely return!

Room Tip: The 'cascade falls' suite on the top floor is beautiful!
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Ohio City, Ohio
Reviewed 28 May 2014

Everything about this hotel is historic. Nice, well furnished suites, comfortable, clean, and quiet. Restaurant is in the hotel and serves excellent meals. First class staff. Hotel is located downtown with plenty to see. Street parking was no problem. Scenic drives in any direction. We really enjoyed our stay.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 27 May 2014

We stayed at the Beaumont for our 10th Anniversary. It's like taking a walk back in time. Beautiful restoration, comfortable beds, 5 Star Service. If you've never been to Ouray, it's one of the most beautiful places on the planet. Food at the Beaumont Grill was delicious and the rooms were so beautifully decorated. We'll be back for sure! Love this hotel!

• Stayed May 2014
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed 27 May 2014

My husband and I got a couples massage and it was fabulous! The Beaumont is a beautiful hotel with an amazing spa. The staff was professional and courteous. My masseur really listened to me and what my needs were. I would recommend this spa to anyone looking for 5 star treatment in the beautiful San Juan mountains:)

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 12 May 2014 via mobile

First off, I want to say that this is visually the most beautiful hotel I have ever stayed at. However, my stay was quite bad.
1. There were small stains on two of the pillows and the comforter.
2. The thermostat wasn't working. The first night we couldn't sleep well since it kept getting hotter and hotter no matter at what temp. we kept the thermostat.

That said my issue is not with these problems but with how the staff dealt with them. When I told them of these problems the next morning. They promised they would be taken care of, but they did.... nothing.
When we came back the next night after a long day on the road, we found that not only where the pillows changed, but even the bed was not made. The thermostat was not fixed and we had another night of temperatures between 86 and 68 F. Again, no sleep.

I told the front desk again and got a million apologies, not really helpful.

My point is this. We paid over 300 bucks for two nights of no sleep in a room that Oprah Winfrey slept in. If we stayed at the comfort inn across the street, we might not have a pretty room and a good story but might have had two full nights of sleep.

Seriously, when a hotel had only 12 rooms ( and a million rules to preserve antiquity) how hard is it to respond to a guests complaints ?

Overall, as the title says, pretty hotel but terrible stay.

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple