“A great hike to great hights”

Ranked #25 of 35 things to do in Ouray
More attraction details
Owner description: Beginning at an elevation of 7,900 feet and ending at 9,200 feet, this eight-mile, easy-to-moderate trail allows hiking, horseback riding and trail biking as the only forms of transportation.
Reviewed 8 March 2014

Good hiking on steep grade, breath taking views and to keep it all a safe experience tread carefully at narrow spots - drop offs are deep. Bring enough water, lunch and snacks for a day hike.

This tripadvisor review from

BC Koch

2  Thank Bernard K

Reviewed 1 November 2012

Pretty much agree with the other reviewers. Bit of a slog to get up the first big hill but then the trail is great! I loved the narrow, ledge hiking parts of the trail. Only made it to the first mine but if I come back, I'll make more time to go further.

2  Thank ahellie
Reviewed 20 August 2012

My husband and I like to hike, however, there is hiking and then there is hiking. This trail is for the very experienced. I was very intimidated with the steep inclines and narrow cliff trails. We turned back after 3 miles. If you are experienced and like to hike high, this is the trail for you. My only regret is I couldn't finish it, I'm sure it was a scream!

5  Thank Constance937
Reviewed 13 August 2012

Worth doing--shady at lower elevations and then more exposure as you go up. Access from the highway makes it easy to do. You will see others on this trail--not wilderness.

1  Thank Love2goMM
Reviewed 3 August 2012

Awesome views. First half mile is tough, especially on the return trip. The v Jew of Bear Creek Falls was awesome and seeing the old mine was great. Moderate hike most of the way. Take a hiking pole.