Stayed one night at the Wiesbaden. As far as the highlights go, the main outdoor pool is fantastic and the vapor cave is something truly unique. I've been to many of the hot springs in Colorado (including spas and primitive springs) and the one thing that really stood out about the springs in Ouray was the purity of the water and the complete lack of that typical "hot-spring" sulfur smell (e.g. Glenwood hot springs-great none the less). We also enjoyed a soak in the private Lorelei pool. Equally fantastic. The staff was friendly and the location (2 blocks off of the main street) was perfect.
On the down side, this is a 100+ year-old historic location in a town that is a national historic landmark. Yes the walls are a little thin and no it's not the Ritz-Carlton in terms of the accommodation (small TV with limited channels, kitschy decorations....) . Personally, I found the entire place amazingly charming and, while I can sympathize with some of the negative reviews, I think many of these reviewers missed the point when it comes to rustic (authentic) mountain charm. The town itself reminded me of Telluride without the rich snobs. Plenty of cute shops and places to eat.
My only suggestion would be to update the bedding. Nice cotton sheets and a comforter in a washable cotton duvet would have gone a long way towards freshening up the room. Either way, the polyester sheets and comforters have got to go. Until then, it's 4 stars rather than 5.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Nested in a quiet residential neighborhood, right in the center of downtown Ouray, the Wiesbaden Hot Springs Spa & Lodgings offers a wide variety of accommodations and features three different all natural continually flowing mineral hot springs on its premises: the famous Vaporcave, the outdoor swimming pool and the Lorelei, a privately enclosed outdoor spa. All our waters are continually flowing pure mineral springs, not altered with any chemicals or additives. All springs are open year around Guests of the Wiesbaden can enjoy unlimited use of the Vaporcave and the outdoor swimming pool at no extra charge. All rooms feature private bath, satellite TV, free WiFi, free local phone calls, spa robes and towels. There is a garden and a shared lounge. The property offers free parking. Wiesbaden features full range of massage and spa services. Guests of the lodge enjoy discounted rates on the spa services. Wiesbaden is a strictly non-smoking facility and we cannot accommodate anybody who uses tobacco products. Pet friendly accommodations are available. ... more less
- Also Known As:
- Wiesbaden Hot Springs Spa & Lodgings Hotel Ouray
- Wiesbaden Hot Springs Spa And Lodgings
- Wiesbaden Hot Springs Ouray