“Hot springs and vapor caves oh my!”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Ouray
Wiesbaden Hot Springs Spa & Lodgings
Ranked #15 of 15 Hotels in Ouray
Colorado
“Hot springs and vapor caves oh my!”
Reviewed 18 May 2011

Stayed one night at the Wiesbaden. As far as the highlights go, the main outdoor pool is fantastic and the vapor cave is something truly unique. I've been to many of the hot springs in Colorado (including spas and primitive springs) and the one thing that really stood out about the springs in Ouray was the purity of the water and the complete lack of that typical "hot-spring" sulfur smell (e.g. Glenwood hot springs-great none the less). We also enjoyed a soak in the private Lorelei pool. Equally fantastic. The staff was friendly and the location (2 blocks off of the main street) was perfect.

On the down side, this is a 100+ year-old historic location in a town that is a national historic landmark. Yes the walls are a little thin and no it's not the Ritz-Carlton in terms of the accommodation (small TV with limited channels, kitschy decorations....) . Personally, I found the entire place amazingly charming and, while I can sympathize with some of the negative reviews, I think many of these reviewers missed the point when it comes to rustic (authentic) mountain charm. The town itself reminded me of Telluride without the rich snobs. Plenty of cute shops and places to eat.

My only suggestion would be to update the bedding. Nice cotton sheets and a comforter in a washable cotton duvet would have gone a long way towards freshening up the room. Either way, the polyester sheets and comforters have got to go. Until then, it's 4 stars rather than 5.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
7 Thank smushie

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
Ouray, Colorado
Reviewed 23 April 2011

After an exhilarating day at the world famous Ouray Ice Park my friend and I checked into the Wiesbaden Hot Springs Spa and Lodgings. A great choice. The staff was welcoming, the room quiet and cozy, the mineral waters sparkling clean and so.....hot. The vapor cave holds the flowing hot springs water in a shallow pool that ranges in temperature from 105 to 108 degrees. The atmosphere enveloped me giving the sensation of being in a womb. Very comforting. The outdoor pool was less intense, around 102 degrees and a good place to float and look up at the stars. A private pool called the Lorelei, named after the mythological German mermaid is available to book by the hour for private use. It is surrounded by garden an has a small waterfall.
After the soak we walked down the hill to Main Street to the Buen Tiempo, a lively Mexican restaurant and cantina. Ordered an Ultimate Margarita with a salted rim and Spinach Enchiladas that I have developed a new craving for. A day of exercise, soaking, good food and a comfortable bed made for a dreamy night. Ouray holds many gems.

2 Thank travelyore
Ridgway, Colorado
Reviewed 27 March 2011

My huband and I just live 10 miles north of Ouray, so for us a night at the Wiesbahdenen was a mini-break from our hectic lives as retirees. We had gone snowshoeing up on Red Mountain Pass and when we arrived at the Wiesbahden we immediately retired to the lovely Loreli private soaking pool for an hour. Our room was charming. There were coffee and tea fixings in the lobby. The next morning after a peaceful night's sleep we enjoyed the vapor caves and the hot springs pool. This is a wonderful place to get away from it all even if "it all" is just 10 miles up the road!

• Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank arielco
whitewater colorado
Reviewed 2 March 2011

We have stayed at the W periodically, beginning in the early 1980's. It has undergone changes of ownership and management, and each turn it seemed that things changed for the worse. We hadn't been to the W for over 10 years, and at that time there was an air of pretentious spirituality. It was like all guest were expected to be serene and meditative or something. We were there with our kids to have fun! (Which we used to succeed at, at the W in previous visits).

This time: NOBODY is allowed to stay who has smoked for the PAST THREE MONTHS. I don't know about you, I wish for world peace and feel personally aggrieved when I learn of outrages against humanity anywhere in the world, but after a rigorous bike ride or run around town, I like to sit on the balcony with a scotch and a cigar. Not any more, here. We'll go somewhere else.

9 Thank tiburondelnorte
Hotchkiss, Colorado
Reviewed 26 February 2011

I prefer the units with doors to the outside. Atleast one inside rooms has no windows except for the bath. Faucilities are fabulous, both the public and private waters. The vapor caves are a must do. The Lorelei, a private pool is really great and romantic. One thing did make me nervous about the Lorelei, the low hanging electrical power line that is rubbing againts a tree. Reserve time for a massage! The staff is great. Very happy that this is a non-smoking spa/hotel.

2 Thank moparmesa
Durango, Colorado
Reviewed 8 January 2011

The vapor cave was excellent as was the massage both my husband and I received. The rooms were a bit small but I've stayed in smaller rooms in Southwest Colorado. It's an older building so small nuances are to be expected like a portable radiant heater in the room. We happened to stay at a very cold time but the springs did an excellent job of warming us up and the robes were great! We hope to return again!

• Stayed December 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank HeatherLeavitt
Durango, Colorado
Reviewed 8 November 2010

Just returned from Ouray, CO, "Little Switzerland of America" which is a tiny gem of a town and a fantastic stay at the Wiesbaden Hot Springs Motel. The only reason i did not give it excellent marks in rooms is that the rooms are a bit on the small side. But they are beautifully appointed and every room is a bit different. For me and my friends it was no problem as we spent all our waking hours in the hot springs or eating! (Several great places to eat, a bit surprising for such a small town.) But some people like large hotel rooms. The best part is the overall charm of the Motel, the gracious staff, including the owner Linda Wright-Minter, and of course the fabulous Vapor Cave (in essence a mineral steam bath) and the two on-sight hot springs that are available almost 24/7. They have an Aveda salon on site for massage, facials and other spa treatments. If you are ever even an hour away from this location i strongly recommend a detour to this little piece of heaven!

• Stayed November 2010, travelled with friends