“Ridiculous!!!”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Ouray
Wiesbaden Hot Springs Spa & Lodgings
Ranked #15 of 15 Hotels in Ouray
new mexico
“Ridiculous!!!”
Reviewed 22 October 2012

We made reservations for the Wiesbaden through another website. We were attracted to the vapor cave and thought it would be a fun place to stay a few nights while in Ouray for a quick weekend getaway with friends. The hotel is located on a side street that is unlit by street lights. From the outside it looks to be a cozy little place. Upon entering the "lobby" we waited for at least 15 minutes before anyone came to the front desk. When the attendant arrived my husband asked her if there was a bathroom he could use (we had just driven 4 hours to get there). The woman at the desk told him he could use the bathroom in his room. Since we were in the process of checking in, we had no choise but to wait...not unheard of...but a little rude I thought. My friend's husband was exploring the lobby while we waited and found a bathroom downstairs near the cave, which he promptly used. So, we check-in and are handed a couple of robes that were...well old, thin and dingy. We were given a key to our room and sent on our way. When cheking in we asked a lot of questions about the springs...hours, locations, dress code, etc. At no time were we ever advised of the smoking ban, if we had been we would not have stayed there.

We went to our room and found it to be extremely small. There was a sink in our room, not in the bathroom mind you, but near the older 12" tv in fact. The bed was small and extremely hard, with a large sagging in the middle. My husband summed it up nicely when he said "We just got screwed".

We put our things down and left our room to meet up with our friends for dinner. Upon returning from dinner about 1 1/2 hours later we walked through the "lobby" to go to our room. I was laughing at something that my husband said as we walked though the lobby. As we left the lobby one of the ladies from the front desk followed my husband and I INTO our room. She told us that she had received a complaint that we appeared to be intoxicated and were disturbing other guests. (There were no other guests anywhere in sight) Totally ridiculous! No one was drunk AND she followed us around the corner to our room, how could she have possibly got a complaint. At this time she told us that we wouldn't be able to partake in the hot springs because of our "behavior". After much discussion we were able to convince her that we were not drunk (I felt a little like an adolecent teen justifiying myself to an angry parent) and she said we could soak. A few minutes later we found out that our toilet and shower were not working. When my husband went to the front desk to notify the staff the same lady again came into the room and checked both the shower and toilet for herself. When she found that they in fact were not working she said she would have someone come and fix them. Shortly after all heck broke loose...my husband went to the front desk to ask if there was a designated smoking area. Our favorite front desk matron quickly told my husband that again we would not be permitted to soak. Not just my husband - the smoker, but no one else either. She insisted that we were told about the smoking policy - which we were not. We were obliviously upset, the entire ordeal was ridiculous and irritating. In the end we asked for our money to be returned and found another place to stay for the night which was AMAZING!

This hotel was old and in disrepair, the cave was creepy and dirty and the staff was incredibly rude and judgemental. It was extremely over priced and not at all worth the expense. Did I mention that they initially overcharged us for our room, had to refund some of the room charge AND that when we left they tried to tell me I couldn't have my refund in cash but maybe a future credit...regardless of the fact that I had checked in with cash. OOOOHHHHHH... AND I almost forgot, when we told the staff we wanted to leave we were offered a free soak in their private Lorelei hot spring..all of us. If there is such a concern about other guests and toxins seeping into the water...why allow us to soak in this special spring. Additionally, they state on their website that "There is no re-circulated water at the Wiesbaden as each pool is continually flowing in one side and out the other", wouldn't that mean that "toxins" are leaving the spring continually?

You decide...

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
16 Thank maybaby2008
wiesbadenhotsprings, Manager at Wiesbaden Hot Springs Spa & Lodgings, responded to this review, 20 June 2014
Dear Guest,

We are sorry to hear about your unpleasant experience. We just wanted to clarify a couple of points:

1. We have not have any online booking channels to date. Right now (June 2014), we are exploring the possibilities. But at the moment, the only way to book a room at our hotel is to call our phone number directly. When we take reservations, we inform the guests of all our policies and don't book rooms till they agree to them. We are sorry for the confusion, but if you could provide that website that you booked a room through, we would like to investigate.

2. We do stand by the purity of our waters. All springs are continually flowing and not treated with any chemicals. That is why we take a diligent care of keeping them clean. The pools are cleaned every single day all year around.

3. The private spring we offered you is outside, therefore there is less risk of nicotine lingering for a long time. Also, because it's private we make sure to block it off for a few hours after your party uses it, so the springs can flush the impurities off (only takes a few minutes). Obviously we cannot do the same to public areas like the Vaporcave and the outdoor pool, that is why offered you the private pool.

Again, we are very sorry for your unpleasant experience - if you could provide is with the website that you booked your stay through it would be great. Please feel free to call or email us with any other questions or comments.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
Boulder, Colorado
Reviewed 28 September 2012

My husband made the reservation, so I didn't find out until I read the reviews, and then asked him if it was true. Yes it is true, not only are you not to smoke on the property, you are required to be a non-smoker period, and most strange you are requested not to have smoked for the last 3 months.
Now while I do understand the first 2 requests, the last one leaves me puzzled. How could my having smoked a cigarette 3 months ago affect the pristine nature of this lovely lodging ? I did inquire but the receptionist on duty could do no better than explain that someone had told the owner that 3 mos. is reasonable, and then shrugged her shoulders. I do agree that an owner, boss, whomever can make any rules she wants, just please, don't try to make me believe it's a "truth". That being said, the vapor cave is wonderful, the establishment clean, the pool nice, and it is well located. It might be better to drop "spa" from the title, as I did see some complaints that it wasn't "spa" like, and it's not, not pampered-luxurious enough for what most people think of as "SPA". We enjoyed our stay, and would stay again,however, why, when I haven't smoked cigarettes in 30 yrs., does this rule make me want to go out and smoke one now?

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Miriahm D
Reviewed 18 September 2012

Underground vapor cave makes this place a relaxing oasis. Clean, tasteful without being pretentious. Lovingly cared for by owner of 29 years. Block off Main Street so it's convenient to restaurants. Warm mineral pool for water aerobics, not laps. Wonderful people. We'll be back

• Stayed September 2012
2 Thank CLH51
Durango, Colorado
Reviewed 10 September 2012

This is a very unique experience. First, you call to make a reservation and will be asked if you have smoked in the past three months, no problem for us, just an unusual inquiry. Then you must send a check when you make a reservation. No credit cards, No problem, just unusual. We arrived, knowing that the facility was old, and dated but looked forward to the different experience. You will be greeted by a very friendly person who will hand you a key, worn and faded towels and a paper thin bath robe that you will be told you need to bring back to the desk when you check out, like you might be inclined to abscond with them, again unusual! The room was SUPER CLEAN but has old beds, old bedding, old carpet, old windows, old furniture, old TV's, mismatched coffee cups, etc. And unfortunately, for the really expensive price, no shampoo, conditioner, lotion, not even a muffin for breakfast and very cheap coffee both in the rooms and the lobby. We went to the pool and vapor cave. Both are incredibly clean which is probably why you will be reminded several times during your stay, that you need to have your hair pulled up tight and on top of your head ( again, unusual especially because they allow the helps little dog to pee next to the pool). We enjoyed the unique stay and would have been prepared to stay again, however, we had an easily resolvable request that the owner/proprieter was completely unwilling to help with, consider options for, or even discuss. So despite the friendly staff and the super clean, unique experience, we will spend our money elsewhere while in Ouray.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with family
4 Thank Icaretwo
Crested Butte, Colorado
Reviewed 4 September 2012

Very relaxing & peaceful motel in paradise! Hot springs & vapor cave outstanding! Staff extremely accommodating & knowledgeable about loca restaurants. Pet friendly rooms available. Outstanding hiking & 4 wheel drive trails!

• Stayed September 2012
Virginia Beach, Virginia
Reviewed 19 August 2012

A peaceful place to stay in a charming little Colorado town. Linda has opened up her "home" to visitors and, after reading some of the negative reviews, I would like to share mine. I think she has every right to ask people to abide by certain rules in her "house." That's what helps to keep it "well-behaved" (just like young children). She was always a gracious hostess and her employees were very helpful as well. As to the noisy walkways, this is an old establishment that doesn't have all the modern amenities some people prefer. It is a place that seems peaceful when you walk in the front door ... therefore, one assumes that the guests will try to be respectful of the quiet you can enjoy there - tread softly ! Some of the rooms aren't the most private, but just be prepared for that and enjoy the other wonderful experiences the Wiesbaden has to offer. If Ouray goes the way of the Aspens, Vails, and Tellurides, places like the Wiesbaden may cease to exist. I grew up in Colorado and saw it happen first hand. Additionally, the small outdoor pool and vapor caves are immaculate (Linda even pressure washes the cave herself most mornings). Just enjoy this little gem just the way it is ... and remember, no smoking !

Room Tip: Room #1 is very nice !
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank xstemboatr
Long Valley, New Jersey
Reviewed 14 August 2012

First, to dispell some of the bad reviews:

So after we read mixed reviews about the Weisbaden, we decided to go there anyway. Yes, there are rules, but the rules are there for a reason. We spoke with Linda, the owner about the smoker ban. She said that they actually had two incidents of people with a nicotene allergy having an allergic reaction to the nicotene toxins being excreted by a smoker while in the vapor cave. According to physicians she spoke with, it takes several months for an ex-smoker to purge these toxins, so the non-smoker rule seems to be a must!

Linda is also particular (yes, a nice way to say somewhat strict) about keeping the resort peaceful an quiet. Our room (the Sunroom) was located almost over the vapor cave. The reason the hours for the vapor cave end at 9:45 is to ensure that our room would be quiet for sleep. Thank you Linda. She is also concerned about noise at the outdoor hot spring pool at early and late hours so as to not disturb the hotel's neighbors. I think that's very neighborly.

She is also particular about keeping the hot spring and vapor cave as pure as possible for guests. That means that everyone must shower before entering. This prevents body lotion, hair conditioner, deodorants, etc from being introduced into the waters. I personally appreciated her attention to this detail.

As far as reviews that said the place smelled musty, we did not find that at all.

Now for our thoughts:

Although the decor is somewhat dated (my wife put it in the mid 1980's), everything was clean, towels and robes provided, spacious room with TONS of windows. We made the most of the availability of the pool and vapor room at early hours. Nice part of this place is that the hot springs are not crowded. Go to the public hot spring and see what that's like! There is no real food offered at this lodging, although there was a cooler with soft drinks and a basket with chips/crackers available for purchase. There is complimentary coffee and tea available at all times.

Bottom line - we highly recommend the Weisbaden. The hot springs are the main attraction and are well worth visiting.

Tom & Melissa Schmieder
Long Valley, NJ

Room Tip: Sunroom was great!
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple