“Just Keep Walking....”

Silver Nugget Cafe
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch
Reviewed 25 September 2013

The two of us stumbled in to the Silver Nugget for breakfast this past weekend. I usually will do a Tripadvisor check before visiting a hotel or restaurant, but we were hungry, and the Silver Nugget looked appealing from the outside.

The Good: The taste of the food.

The Bad: Several things about the Silver Nugget put us off. First was the frantic pace of our waitress. She rushed around so fast, and seemed so panicked, that we couldn't relax during the entire meal. And for a Sunday morning, the restaurant wasn't very busy. Next was the fellow in the cowboy hat with the black lab at his heels. We could only guess that he was the owner of the place. He spent about 10 minutes casually wandering around the restaurant with a fly swatter, lazily smacking flies wherever he saw them: the (empty) table next to us, the bar, the window behind the poor couple sitting up front. It was beyond gross and ridiculous. It was comical (but not in a good way). Finally, the presentation of the food was weak. The food tasted pretty good, but did not look very appealing when it was hurriedly put before us.

Next time out, we'll check reviews on Tripadvisor before stopping to eat. As for the Silver Nugget, just keep walking.

3  Thank NormantheMormon

Reviewed 20 September 2013

Great breakfast. Reasonable prices. The pancakes were fluffy. The Denver omelet was good. Ice tea was fresh. The service fast. They only accept checks or cash. We ate three times during our week stay in Ouray. A couple of mornings they opened late due to lack of wait staff. Definitely recommended for breakfast.

Reviewed 2 September 2013

Had breakfast here on 2 consecutive mornings while visiting Ouray over Labor Day weekend. Very friendly and prompt service from Shannon our server and both my son and I were pleased with the food. Nothing fancy, prices OK, but met our needs well before going jeeping each day. Only downside is cash-only policy, can catch you off-guard if you don't see the sign behind the counter when you enter!

Reviewed 26 August 2013

Do not go here. For starters this place was FULL of flies. Fine, you have your front door open, but do something to get rid of the flies. This is a place for eating, not swatting.
Secondly, I ordered "granola", which was a bowl of Honey Bunches of Oats Cereal. Seriously? Yes seriously. Then I got charged $8 for it. I could have bought multiple BOXES of cereal for $8.
Third, the women's restroom had no toilet paper, no paper towels, and no hand soap. Not only did this leave me in a pickle, but does this mean that the female waitstaff doesn't have to wash their hands due to the lack of soap?
Fourth, this place is cash or check only. Fine. No problem. But don't get huffy at me because you are having a hard time making change for me. I paid in cash like you asked.
Go somewhere else. This place is a waste of time.

1  Thank MTNKRISTIN
Reviewed 18 August 2013

So after a long trail hike throughout the day we decided to give this place a try for the Smoothies they were advertising. It was a circus inside. It took them literally 15 minutes to leave the place in order to find this girl who I guess was the only one that could make them.

When she showed up she was going a 100 miles per minute. She went through 4 blenders right up in the front of the place. Complaining about the place and some angry employee who may have left with the best blender because she was really really mad.

So after about 40 minutes we received 2 smoothies that tasted pretty good but had big chunks of fruit left in them.

The craziest thing was that I paid with a $100 bill. The girl opened her purse and put it in it. She then reached for the change from the cash box. That got me thinking a little.......

So for 45 minutes of hearing complaints from the two employees, the blender issues, and he exchange of money it was less than a great experience.

3  Thank TheCoach14