“Good Value - Great Location - Skiing in October!”
Review of Quality Inn

Quality Inn
Ranked #9 of 14 Hotels in Pagosa Springs
Reviewed 17 October 2011

Went to Pagosa for the early ski season opening at Wolf Creek - yep great skiing in October! Went at last minute and found our regular hotel seeking a whopping $399 per nite (leaf turning season - lots of tourists)! Went directly across the street and friendly front desk gal gave us a very nice room for two nights at a fraction of the single night price that they quoted us across the street. OK so we didn't get unlimited access to the hot springs but the Oak Ridge does have a little pool and hot tub - and on Sat night it was a nice respite from the drunken teenagers and adults that over-ran the hot springs across the street (I have never seen so many cans of Tecate strewn all over the beautiful hot springs - pity they allow that to happen). The Oak Ridge also had a large bar/restaurant - not fancy but adequate, and nice happy hour prices and friendly staff, and decent pizza. Even though continental breakfast is included skip it and walk to a nearby cafe for something more satisfying. There is just something wrong about morning coffee in a little styrofoam cup, watered-down orange juice from a machine, and "Rainbow" white bread direct from the plasic bag for a "continental" breakfast. The room was clean and comfortable. And I will probably make this my usual hotel and save some serious cash every time I come up for the skiing.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank L K

Reviewed 15 October 2011

For the price, the Oak Ridge Lodge is a nice little place to stay in Pagosa Springs. I'm giving it four stars because it is a very good hotel for it's price, location, and atmoshere.My husband and I travel a lot, both in and out of the country, and we have stayed in both inexpensive and expensive hotels, and we were pleased with the quality of the Oak Ridge. The rooms are clean, comfortable and quiet. It is an older hotel, but well maintained. In a previous review, someone had written that the rooms smelled; we didn't notice that at all, but honestly, the whole town is a little odorous due to the lovely sulphur fragrance of the numerous hot springs. There's a coffee maker in the room; the complimentary breakfast is a little Spartan; however, there are hardboiled eggs, breads, and cereal, and you won't starve to death. The location is perfect for exploring the town. The pool is small, and the area is a little funky, but I had a great time swimming in the warm mineral water while my husband played on the hotel's old arcade machines (Pacman!) The bar/restaurant is small, and the menu limited, but it was a fun little place, the food was good, and the bartender and waitstaff were friendly and efficient. The owners and staff were also extremely helpful and friendly. As we were driving away to our next destination, we realized that we didn't have our GPS. I called the hotel in a panic, and they immediately sent someone to the room to check. They called back right away and informed us that we had indeed left it in the room and they were holding it for us. Honesty is so refreshing!

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank cgclearman
Reviewed 27 September 2011

Friendly staff people; energy conscious management. Clean and comfortable room with no frills and no road noise. Coffee pot in room and free Breakfast til 10!! Right across the street from the wonderful hot springs and admission ticket is slightly discounted if purchased at the lodge. Walk downtown easily. Good value!!

Room Tip: "Inside" rooms are quieter.
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank shs47
Reviewed 13 September 2011

I was just passing through on a road trip from Scottsdale to the Denver area. My first stop was the Visitor Center next to the Springs resort. I was delighted with the friendly reception and decided to stay for the night and check out the Springs. My first option would have been the Springs resort itself but they only had a suite available for $285. I was traveling solo and really didn't plan to spend any time in the room so I decided to check out the Oak Ridge right across the street. I was greeted by a very pleasant young man at the front desk. When told the AAA rate would only be $65 and they sell discounted tickets to the Springs, I decided to have a look. My room was in the section across the parking lot, on the second floor. I was pleasantly surprised when I entered and found a modestly furnished but immaculately clean room. There was a small sink and vanity outside the compact bathroom right inside the door. There was no closet but a wardrobe with a few hangers in the corner and a couple of drawers under the TV in the armoire. The carpet and bedspreads looked brand new. I opened my notebook computer on the desk top next to the armoire and easily logged on to the free hi-speed internet.
A short time later I was ready to walk across the street to the fabled Springs. I enjoyed a spectacular sunset from the "adults only, VIP section" on the terrace overlooking the San Juan river. There were comfortable loungers encircling a gas fire pit and several of the soaking pools are on this level. Most of the pools are on the lower level and each pool is uniquely shaped and a different temperature. I spent hours enjoying the therapeutic natural mineral spas and lounging near the fire. After showering in the Bathhouse I returned to Oak Ridge. The smell of sulfur from the tubs lingered in my hair and skin so I showered again and was impressed with the water pressure. By now I was spent and had no trouble drifting off to sleep.
I awakened early so I could stroll across the footbridge next to the Springs Resort that spans the San Juan river and leads to a lovely path alongside the river and to steps up to the historic old town. The brisk walk in the cool morning air after the relaxing evening the night before was invigorating.
Upon returning to Oak Ridge to gather my belongings and continue my journey I stopped in the restaurant to check out the complimentary breakfast. I was not impressed so I grabbed some coffee and headed out.
The Oak Ridge Lodge is a moderately priced motel in a beautiful location, convenient to many of the amenities in the area.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank 1AZKID
Reviewed 12 September 2011

Paid for three nights thru Priceline. The fishing was lousy with the low water and high temperatures in the San Juan so we left after two days heading for Telluride and fishing the Delores and San Miguel. We were charged the full price of the original stay on arriving plus $100 on a "hold" basis. When we checked out we were charged once again for the two nights. Total:$757 for two nights. After much calling and two and a half weeks it wasn't straightened out. This situation is ridiculous! With almost no one staying there, someone needed to walk upstairs, check the room and then get rid of the holds. By the end of the nine day vacation, I had over $1500 in holds/charges for rooms I had already paid for through Priceline and Hotwire. The motel must be used more in the winter and was ok other than being a little shopworn. The "free" breakfast ended up costing $3 but was very good and the service was quick and efficient. The location is right across the street from the hot springs and the attendant remembered us from last year and gave us "local" prices for the two stays in the pools.

Room Tip: Make sure to stay in the main building and not the annex
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank ChuckieC
OakRidgeLodge, Director of Sales at Quality Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 13 September 2011

Dear Guest,

I do apologize for the billing issues that occurred during your vacation. I have brought the situation to the attention of the General Manager who is taking all steps needed to make sure a situation such as this does not happen again. Guest satisfaction is the Oak Ridge Lodge highest priority.

Again I do apologize for the inconvenience that you experienced during your stay with us and I do hope that you will give the Oak Ridge Lodge another chance.

Reviewed 6 September 2011

We are a senior couple who stayed at the Oak Ridge because it was near the Folk Festival. I will just say it was a very bad place to stay for $109. before taxes. No elevators, dirty, dead plants everywhere, smells bad, rough poor quality towels, dirty windows that don't open, stuffy room, dirty cheap bead spread, only two pillows on a king bed, curtains fell off the rod when we opened them. I was chased by 3 loose dogs in parking lot, owners did not have on lease, one was a rotweiller...I was petrified. I went to breakfast the next morning at 9:20 and it was already being taken away...supposed to end at 9:30, when I told her she was early she said rudely.."not by our clock". The next morning my husband went with me and it was 8:30 and 4 tables were not cleaned off and there was no where to sit. There was no coffee, or silverware, so we could not even have coffee while we waited. We sat at the bar and decided to buy the $4. extra hot breakfast because all they had was cold cereal, hard boiled eggs, and some old looking sliced oranges and grapefruit, very cheap bread and one toaster. I had to go to the kitchen door to ask for someone to wait on us and told them there was no coffee. I was grossed out at the filth in that kitchen. We waited for almost a half hour and had to ask the other waitress and she went in and got it..it had been sitting there a while. I had to get my own silver ware and there still was nothing to eat with. I poked my head in the kitchen again and the staff were yelling at each other. When I told them what was needed they yelled at me " We are very busy" in a rude manner....I said "You don't need to say anything to me..just get out here and take care of your customers" One of the cooks followed me out to the dining room in an aggressive and hostile manner and said "is there a problem"? I was flabbergasted at this unbelievable unprofessional behavior. I went to the receptionist to complain and asked to speak to the manager and was told they were not there. I later found out the manager was the rude person from the kitchen. My husband could not eat his sausage, or the coffee..terrible food. He left upset to go somewhere for a cup of coffee. I went to the hot springs to try and soak off the horrible mood from this experience and when I went back to my room to shower, there were no towels. I called the front desk and they said ok. 30 minutes later, still no towels... I asked a woman who was cleaning the room across the hall for towels...she did not speak english. She called the desk and gave the phone to me...I had to ask for towels again and was told there were none, no apology...just there were none. I asked him, to ask her, to get some from another room. Again my mood was ruined by the lack of care for their customers. Upon check out I asked if we would get some compensation for the way we were treated but was told the manager had a family emergency. The woman from the kitchen called my room when I was packing up and said she was the manager. She did nothing but argue, make excuses, no apologies, and no compensation for our bad experience. She said that the next time we stay there she will give us a good deal. I will NEVER stay there again, even if it were free. I am still upset at this awful experience that cost us almost $400. I plan to contact AAA, the better business bureau and the Pagosa Chamber of Congress. Pagosa should be ashamed to allow this business to be open.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank nanbrad
OakRidgeLodge, Director of Sales at Quality Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 8 September 2011

Dear guest, please be assured that the Oak Ridge Lodge takes pride in the service that we provide our guests and pride in our community. I do apologize for the trouble you encountered during your stay, but if you take a look at our website you will see the amount of wonderful comments that we get from a number of our guests. We receive many compliments on how clean our rooms are, how nice they feel and how much they enjoyed their stay with us. Our pet policy includes a leash rule. No dog is allowed on property without being on a leash. This has been our policy for many years and it has been a well guarded policy that includes the manager’s pets. We believe that although we are unable to keep all dogs from barking at all times, the safety and security of our guests is our highest priority. Yes our plants and flowers are starting to show the end of their seasonal life; however they still have plenty of beauty left in them.

The Oak Ridge Lodge is an equal opportunity establishment who will not discriminate against any race or religion. Our Spanish speaking employees provide us with a wonderful opportunity to communicate with no English speaking guests.

Squirrel’s Pub & Pantry is a very well known restaurant in Pagosa Springs with good food and a comfortable atmosphere. Please again visit our website to view wonderful comments regarding our onsite restaurant. I am sorry the time you spent in our restaurant was not a pleasant one, but please keep in mind that the time you chose to come down was the peak time and we were doing our very best to satisfy our guests which whom were very understanding and patient. The Oak Ridge Lodge happily provides a cold continental breakfast for our guest with a choice of hot upgrades. Unlike many hotels, the continental breakfast at the Oak Ridge consists of a variety of choices such as, Milk, hard boiled eggs, 2 types of cereal, coffee cake, fruit, toast, coffee and 3 types of juices.

Again I do apologize that you feel you had an unpleasant experience, and as the manager offered to you in your conversation; we would be happy to work something out for the next time you come to Pagosa. Give us another chance, you will not be disappointed!

Reviewed 3 September 2011

Reservations for 2 nights, called to stay 1 more. No problem they said. Came back to our room about 10:30 Sun. room locked. No one on duty, no one to answer phone. Called 911, found night number on door ,but no light to see. My husband is on oxygen and was about out. If we hadnt been able to get in the room in time it would have been bad.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with friends
OakRidgeLodge, Director of Sales at Quality Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 6 September 2011

The Oak Ridge Lodge takes pride in the security they provide for our guests. There is a person on property 24-7 to make sure that all situations are taken care of. The hours of the front desk are from 6am to 10pm Monday – Thursday and 6am – 12am Friday and Saturday. There is information provided for our guest at the front door and on the front desk on how to reach the person on call. I do apologize for the inconvenience and thank you for choosing the Oak Ridge Lodge.