“Gem of an Alternative”
Review of Grand River Hotel

Grand River Hotel
Ranked #3 of 5 Hotels in Parachute
Reviewed 5 June 2013

If you are looking for a peaceful, restful hotel stay along I-70 in west central Colorado, you should seriously consider this hotel in Parachute, CO. Located between the much busier stops of Grand Junction and Glenwood Springs, the HI Express in Parachute is a gem of an alternative. I had driven 12+ hours from central Arizona and I was looking for just such a hotel. Without a reservation, I was placed in a nicely furnished room, with excellent TV and internet, away from the normal hotel noise (stairs, elevator, ice machine, vending etc.). Sensing that I really did not want to get back in my car, the front desk clerk recommended a local, family restaurant/bar right across the street. I had a wonderful meal followed by a blissful night's sleep. In the morning, the hotel provided a full buffet-style breakfast with more than one main selection. Throughout my two day stay, the management and staff were highly competent, courteous and willing to assist in any way possible. In each and every aspect, this hotel exceeded my expectations.

Room Tip: If you are anti-smoking request non-smoking floors.
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled solo
Tammy P, General Manager at Grand River Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 15 June 2013

Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience with us. We are truly delighted that you enjoyed our accommodations, amenities and services. We were humbled by your kind remarks.

My colleagues and I recognize the tremendous amount of lodging options available in our city. We are thankful you found us and honored for the opportunity to have earned your trust.

Reviewed 26 October 2012

Nice hotel, half a mile from I 70. The Hotel was clean and with a fine indoor pool and spa. With the distance to the Interstate it was in silent surroundings. The breakfast was better than normal motel standard.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 August 2012

We stayed in room 313 (they said because it was their only non-smoking king) but it was next to a bank of smoking rooms. The doors are hung poorly and at night you can see the gaps on all sides of the doors that let the smoke out of the smoking rooms - into the hallway - and then into the non-smoking rooms. The draperies in our "non-smoking" room reeked of stale ciggie smoke.

When we'd open the door to leave the room we'd be hit with a wall of ciggie smoke stink in the hallway. Same returning to out room when the elevator door opened into the hallway. No clue why they put a non-smoking room on the same floor as so many smoking rooms. The owner's attitude towards smoking was probably explained by the pack of Marlboros on the front desk counter.

The wifi struggled to get one little dot. Even in the lobby the wifi was just one little dot. Low bidder got the wifi contract. Why do they advertise wifi if there is no signal? Clerks were very nice and mumbled something about getting an upgrade soon.

A good breakfast set up and a good tv in the room were the highlight.

Room Tip: If you don't smoke stay off the third floor.
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Riverkilt
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Grand River Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 4 September 2012

Dear Riverkilt,

We appreciate your feedback regarding our property. Please allow me to apologize for the inconvenience and negative impression you may have had because of the smell of your room and the WIFI connection. The feedback we receive from our valued guests, like you, enables us to target problem areas and take the necessary actions to ensure similar situations can be avoided in the future. We appreciate the candid feedback we receive and welcome any opportunity to improve.

To better assist you on your next stay, please do not hesitate to approach the manager on duty.

Karen G.
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed 25 July 2012

I don't know how big the town of Parachute actually is, but I never saw it. I believe this is one of your two options for accomodations that I saw- one across from another. The scenery was exquisite, with the backdrop of the mountains in the background of the hotel in the valley. An odd situation at check-in for me made it strange, but the hotel manager quickly remedied the situation by giving me another room of my choosing. It was very clean and updated with details that you would expect from a more expensive hotel. The room was The staff was very helpful in accomodating a quick strategy session and business services in the breakfast room the night before our meeting. The pool was clean and workout facility was adequate for a quick cardio routine. The breakfast was quick with some of my favorite cheese omletes and sausage patties along with fruit and yogurt. It was a nice stay.

Room Tip: Third floor to get out from under other visitors, but it opens you up a little to the highway noise.
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 4 June 2012

This Holiday Inn is a good choice. My room was clean and very comfortable. The entire Hotel felt kind of closed in, really narrow hallways and small spaces. Very Clean and organized. My room, 220 had bad caulking around the window and a few ants were crawling in the sill area. My buddy changed rooms because of ants on the bed. Clean bathrooms and super clean toilets. Nice rooms.
The host at checkin was to the point and friendly. Quiet place to stay. Landscaping was nice, could use a little more maintenance keeping the weeds out. Pool and spa were very nice and spacious. small fitness center. big breakfast room and quality meal.

Thank you Holiday Inn for the quality and service!!!!

Room Tip: Just small and felt closed in, but big windows in rooms with views of the Beautiful state of Colorad...
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 17 September 2011

we were very pleased w/the room and hotel. Very clean, and they have a great breakfast

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 3 July 2011

The staff at this hotel was very friendly and helpful. We only stayed here one night while traveling on I-70, but found this hotel to be better than most on our travels. The rooms were spacious and quiet. We got a good night's rest and a good breakfast.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Parachute
Grand Vista Hotel
Parachute Inn
Parachute Inn
#5 of 5 in Parachute
Comfort Inn & Suites Parachute

Been to Grand River Hotel? Share your experiences!