“Hillbilly Heaven”

Goose Berry Patch
Ranked #2 of 6 Restaurants in Penrose
Cuisines: American
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Pueblo, CO
“Hillbilly Heaven”
Reviewed 29 January 2012

Upon entering Goose Berry Patch's lobby I was first struck by the "rustic" decor, creaking uneven floors, and claustrophobic lobby. We were warmly greeted and directed to sit "wherever." I passed by a medium-sized buffet boasting fried chicken, spaghetti, roast beef, and salad.

I started with a salad. I selected lettuce (iceberg), beets, black olives, egg, and parmesan cheese. I topped this with a surprising choice- creamy, low-fat raspberry viniagrette. I followed with roast beef and spaghetti. The beef was braised, so it's texture was difficult to discern from pot roast. This aside, it was tasty. Next, spaghetti. Blech. Awful. The worst part was the pasta- over cooked linguine! My husband said the fried chicken was delicious, not quite finger lickin', but good.

The waiter was a jovial Bob's Big Boy twin. He was prompt, pleasant, and helpful. My iced tea was always kept full. My husband was vexed to receive a can of coke instead of a bottomless fountain drink. The most disappointing part of the meal was the dessert: little plastic cups full of various colored pudding like "goo." Pie is not included in the buffet, which at $10.95 for lunch; I feel a slice should be included.

Warning- do NOT take a date here unless you both shop at Shepler's Western Wear. I kept expecting Jed Clampett and his clan to come walking through the door and "order up some vittles." On a side note, my father would love this place!

• Visited January 2012

Knoxville, Tennessee
“Very Good Country Style Food”
Reviewed 22 July 2011

My husband and I went for the buffet on a Sunday afternoon. The country style food on the buffet was very good. Nothing was greasy or too salty like some places that serve country style food. The salad bar was fresh and they had other kinds of salads to choose from. The fresh fruit was unexpected. The desserts to choose from were good but I think I will try one of thier homemade pies on the next visit. The restaurant looks like a country house and has a relaxing feeling inside. It's a nice place to stop on your way to Canon City, Pueblo, or Colorado Springs.

• Visited July 2011
1 Thank Candace71
Longmont, Colorado
“Good service, but average food”
Reviewed 17 July 2011

This restaurant has a country-style atmosphere and down home cooking. The people were friendly and the service was good, but I thought the food was just average. There was plenty of food to eat, but I didn't find the food titillating. They have a pretty good salad bar.

• Visited July 2011
Anacortes, Washington
“Oh, man, did I luck into this place!!”
Reviewed 9 November 2009

I was rather damaged one Sunday morning, and went for a drive from Manitou Springs to Canon City. Usually if I'm around Pueblo I have breakfast at Walking Stick Golf Course, but this morning I wasn't in the mood for interstate driving, & drove the back way. I was coming to the junction with the highway when a big house with a dozen cars around it and a small sign saying "restaurant" caught my eye. Hmmm. Small(actually almost no) town, Sunday morning, and a packed parking lot. I u-turned & parked & was instantly seated. I asked for a menu & was told "all we have is a brunch buffet, $5.95 all you can eat". The brunch buffet was just great, and I finished with a hunk of outstanding Rhubarb Pie....no strawberries in this, and when I started jumping up & down about the pie, my waitperson said she loved the Rhubarb, but that all the baked stuff was great.
A couple of years later en route to Glenwood Springs after golf at Walking Stick, a buddy & I rolled in around 1PM. Unfortunately, we'd missed the buffet, but had great hamburgers sitting out on the patio. That gave us a good foundation for the drive up & over Independence Pass, and a totally forgettable & overpriced dinner at the Buffalo Valley BBQ in Glenwood Springs. My buddy said after that we should have loaded up with to-go stuff at the Goose Berry Patch. I heartily agreed

1 Thank RealAles