“Drop Anchor Here for some Excellent Horsing Around”
Review of Anchorage Farm

Anchorage Farm
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Pine
Anchorage Farm
Ranked #2 of 3 Pine B&B and Inns
Colorado Springs, Colorado
“Drop Anchor Here for some Excellent Horsing Around”
Reviewed 2 September 2013

Kris and Jim Cooper are horse experts first and innkeepers second, and their passion for all things equestrian shows in every square inch of this beautiful mountain ranch. The indoor training arena (and the outdoor one) are first class facilities that meet every international standard, the animals are well cared for and live relatively posh horsey lives, there is a wide selection of top grade and well maintained tack to fit every rider, and the horses themselves are well trained, well mannered, and downright fun to work with. Kris and Jim are amongst the most knowledgeable, expert instructors you could ever hope to meet, with the right balance of patience and insistence to get you riding well before you know it. Anchorage Farm is just a few hundred yards from Highway 285 near Pine, but settled behind a large hill that keeps the highway noise from ever intruding upon your tranquility. Peaceful and starlit at night, the cool mountain air is perfect for sleeping after a day in the saddle. Our room was amazing, a Santa Fe themed retreat with a giant spa tub for two and the most amazingly comfortable king bed ever. Value priced B&B with amazingly low-priced riding lessons, the Anchorage Inn is a real find - we'll be going back soon!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple

Solo
Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Colorado Springs, Colorado
Reviewed 2 September 2013

My husband and I just finished the most wonderful weekend at Anchorage Farm. We were celebrating my birthday, so he went along with this choice of B&B so I could take a couple of lessons each day from Kris and Jim. (I had stayed here before on a mom's-weekend-away without my husband, and knew them to be superlative instructors with a stable full of top-notch horses.)

My husband, who is the best of sports, also agreed to take a riding lesson each day so he could better understand my enthusiasm. And -- lo and behold -- the lessons were so much fun for him that we were already talking on the drive home about going back for a dressage clinic later this fall. Jim and Kris are amazing teachers, and I watched my husband go from being a beginner to looking good at the rising trot in just three days. And all the while having a great time! I think they may have ignited the horse enthusiast in him!!!

Our room -- the Coyote Room -- was delightful, with Santa Fe decor, kiva fireplace, whirlpool-for-two, and incredibly comfortable bed. The farm is quiet and peaceful, and we both slept like babies.

The breakfasts were excellent and SUBSTANTIAL -- and made with fresh eggs right from the farm's hens.

We thoroughly enjoyed our hosts -- they are delightful, friendly, and fun, and filled with a thousand entertaining stories about life on a horse farm in the mountains. They made us feel so at home.

I'm still amazed at how much I learned about riding in three days of lessons. Kris and Jim are quite different in their teaching approaches, and it's a great experience to learn from one and then the other. They both cover the same principles, but in different ways, so what didn't sink in when I heard it from one did sink in when I heard it from the other. I felt safe with them and able to relax and soak as much in as possible.

We'll definitely be going back -- and the sooner the better!!!

Room Tip: The photos on the Anchorage Farm website are quite accurate, so it's easy to pick the right room...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Branwyn_3x3
Reviewed 6 July 2013 via mobile

What a treat to have found this wonderful B&B in Pine. Wonderful theme rooms -- stayed in the Coyote Room and Birds Nest. King size beds - so comfortable mattress, pillows and blankets. Quiet and natural surrounds. Kris and Jim are so dear and sweet. They also can cook up an amazing breakfast which keeps you full all day. This has been a great weekend!!!

• Stayed July 2013
1 Thank Agstravels
Reviewed 6 July 2013

We could not have done anywhere near the quality or value in the Denver area. The owners Jim and Kris were friendly, flexible and outstanding hosts. The rooms in this b&b are quaint and lack nothing when compared to a fancy hotel. The breakfast that comes included was top notch! We were stuffed! If you like the outdoors or horses then this is the place for you. We felt like we were at home here. The location was convenient for the wedding we came to attend at Lower Lake Resort. And need I comment on the beauty of this part of the country? In short I would highly recommend Anchorage Farm and will come here again.

• Stayed July 2013
1 Thank PDthree
Loveland, Colorado
Reviewed 17 June 2012

My husband and I spent a night here to get away from it all and found ourselves completely at home from the minute we walked in! We stayed in the Horse Room, which was very cozy and included a bathroom with a two-person jetted tub as well as a private sun-room. Our hosts were very gracious and welcoming as well. Our breakfast was amazing and we really enjoyed taking pictures of the horses and the local birds. Best of all, they don't allow kids! We will definately be back!

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Jen C
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed 27 March 2012

We spent a wonderful weekend at Anchorage Farm, a working horse ranch near quaint little Pine, Colorado. The welcoming hosts went out of their way to make our visit a special one at this charming B&B. The lovely accommodations & great breakfasts met our needs perfectly. This is a great place for experienced horseback riders and non-riders alike! Anchorage Farm has full horse-related facilities for individuals who travel with their horse(s). My husband & I really enjoyed learning about the horses and horseback riding from the gracious hosts. Pine offers great indoor and outside dining at Zoka's Restaurant, where we enjoyed three special meals. We would recommend the Anchorage Farm wholeheartedly to anyone wants to have a relaxing and fun-filled get-a-way about one hour from Denver.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank mikeanddebby
Gambier, Ohio, USA
Reviewed 12 September 2011

This is definitely a place for horse lovers! We also loved the breakfast--the best on our trip-- we had poached eggs with mushrooms and a cream sauce. The view from the front porch is pretty but looks down on the ring where students practice their maneuvers. I spent hours sitting by the lily pond in the back, quite peaceful, with a little waterfall and a bench. But we couldn't stay there because the dirt road to the stable and the indoor track ran right outside the sun porch to our room. We could smell the manure with the windows open. The barn cats do come inside, or at least it smells like they do in the entrance way -- I'm more sensitive than most, but my husband reacted strongly and nearly gagged. The rest of the house and rooms have no cat smell. Another problem was that the rooms were crowded and there were no closets for hanging clothes but a few hooks on the wall. But it definitely has character -- looks of neat ranch items in the rooms, very tastefully decorated and totally unlike any chain hotel.

Room Tip: Choose a room that faces the front -- same side as the deck.
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
donntano, Owner at Anchorage Farm, responded to this review, 16 December 2011
Thank you for bringing the cat odor to our attention. As anyone with pets knows, accidents can happen. No one has commented on this before. Bed and breakfast Innkeepers of Colorado, including their inspector, toured our inn recently. They spent a lot of time in this back hallway because they found the photos interesting. People also often comment how good it smells there - because it’s near the kitchen – where the good smells come from. We apologize for this hopefully unusual situation.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Pine
Hampton Inn & Suites Denver Littleton
#8 of 9 in Evergreen
The Grant Motel
The Grant Motel
#1 of 1 in Grant

Been to Anchorage Farm? Share your experiences!