“Best 2 nights away in a long time!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Maraylya
Billabong Retreat Sydney
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Sydney, Australia
“Best 2 nights away in a long time!”
Reviewed 25 March 2014

This place is amazing. It is so close to Sydney, the drive is simple and easy.
The moment you arrive you feel relaxed.
Rooms are small but clean and just what you need. I stayed with my husband in the treehouse with the bath on the balcony. So quiet and peaceful.
Food was amazing, so fresh and healthy and super yummy. We had 3 different yoga teachers and they all taught great classes and explained really well. Movie night was fun. The swim the billabong scary but very refreshing.
The massage I booked was one of the best massages I have had.
There is not a single bad thing I can say about this place.
Will have to go back soon for sure.
Such good value for money, its hard to find these days.
A MUST DO PLACE TO GO!

Room Tip: All rooms are comfortable and clean, you can choose to bring your own sheets or hire them there. We...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
BillabongRetreat, Manager at Billabong Retreat Sydney, responded to this review, 4 April 2014
Wow! Thank you so much for your beautiful review! - we really appreciate it and are so happy to hear how you enjoyed your time here. Paul, Tory, Mignon, & Basia.

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (76)
Reviewed 21 March 2014

Wonderful experience! My partner and I did the 3 day mindfulness retreat, having specifically looked for a mindfulness course. Being close to Sydney and offering value for money, the retreat was an excellent option. Our treehouse Pavillion was lovely, really beautiful. The food was delicious. On top of the mindfulness classes there were opportunities to learn about nutrition and yoga (in relation to mindfulness) - we left feeling very supported and aware. Looking forward to continuing the practice at home - meditation is not as easy as it seems but the 3 day retreat has given me a much needed kick in the bum to really wake up and enjoy the present moment! Thanks to our hosts for all the great classes and guidance.

• Stayed March 2014
BillabongRetreat, Manager at Billabong Retreat Sydney, responded to this review, 2 April 2014
Reviewed 15 March 2014

Ive stayed at Billabong twice over the past year and both times have come away feeling like Ive topped up the batteries and recharged. Its great to have such a nurturing, relaxing place so close to Sydney so that the drive there and back doesn't stress you out more. The food is made with such care and thought, love the yoga and meditation and great to wake up in such a beautiful place. Thanks for maintaining the care and quality.

Room Tip: Worth paying the bit extra to get your own room or share with friend. The cabin with the bathtub on...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
Thank you so much for your beautiful review! - we really appreciate it and are so happy to hear how you enjoyed your time here. It is a place that isn't too far from Sydney, far enough to feel like your away from it all but close enough to not cause you grief getting here. :) Paul, Tory, Mignon, & Basia.
Reviewed 12 March 2014

I've just done the 3 day Relaxation Retreat. What a beautiful place to tick over to my 50th year. Had a fabulous time. Food was fantastic, thank you Mignon - you are very dedicated. The yoga and meditation by Basia and Paul was perfect for me to relax for a few days. I stayed in Harmony Cottage - decided to have room to myself. All clean and Eco sensitive. Fantastic massage by Michael yesterday and very much enjoyed nutrition talk with Tory. And did I mention the food - yum! Awesome setting in the treetops. Nel

• Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 March 2014

Great yoga retreat that would suit beginners as well as more experienced yogis. If you're really serious about yoga that will push you, then come for the location and the peaceful atmosphere. Delicious food, lovely friendly fellow guests, and swimming in the billabong was an unexpected treat. Really convenient from Sydney, too.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
Thank you so much for your beautiful review! - we really appreciate it and are so happy to hear how you enjoyed your time here. Happy to hear you enjoyed your swim in the Billabong, it is an extra treat :) Paul, Tory, Mignon, & Basia.
Hungary
Reviewed 4 March 2014

I was spellbound by the beauty of Billabong and the design of the dwellings stunningly nestled into the landscape. The food was simply stunning; the yoga teachers gentle and the bell birds calls frequent. It was a fabulous break from 'normal' life.
However we had the misfortune to be placed in the tree hut nearest the entrance which backed onto the pubic road less than 30m from our heads. Due to changing traffic conditions we had heavy transport trucks and Mac trucks taking the 3 main turns - right at our hut - throughout the night. Rumble follow by gear changes and brakes and then headlights left and right and then all again as they left the area. It would have been hilarious except I was seeking a relaxing break and being sleep deprived like that rally didn't work on a yoga retreat where so much is about mindfulness. Sadly the owner was less than concerned; even in my offering of the info for future guests. SO - I'm offering to you - don't stay unless you are guaranteed a tree hut way away from the entrance. Or that Paul himself has stayed in that 1st hut… I'd say some design changes would be implemented if he actually had the experience himself.

Room Tip: DO NOT STAY UNLESS THEY CAN GUARANTEE YOU ARE AS FAR FROM THE ENTRY ROAD AS POSSIBLE; right down on...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
6 Thank jackhun73
PaulvonBergen, Owner at Billabong Retreat Sydney, responded to this review, 7 March 2014
Hi

I am sorry you didn't have a satisfactory experience - we try very hard to ensure all guests do and I am sorry you didn't feel that I took your concerns seriously - I do.

Unfortunately there is a council mandated traffic diversion for a few weeks while they repair a bridge on a main road which they have had to close. We don't have any say in this. Council have assured us that all traffic relating to the bridge work is between 7am and 4pm and have assured me that no night work is taking place. We have been told that there are about 1-2 trucks per hour that pass by and I agree sometimes the drivers are not considerate.

If you would like to contact me directly and suggest what we could have done differently to make it a better experience for you that would be appreciated.

Kind regards

Paul
Owner
02 4573 6080
Reviewed 3 March 2014

The location is beautiful, the tree houses and cabins are a lovely idea. However the accommodation is not designed for a couple and the single beds are too close together if you're sharing with a stranger.
The reviews I read implied that food will be amazing and tasty, but in reality it was tasteless and bland. I did go on a detox retreat, but I don't understand why spices like turmeric, cumin, mustard seeds or fennel couldn't be added to make for a better and tastier dish?
Yoga was good, but it's tailored at complete beginners and poses no challenges for those who want to work out or workshop a difficult pose. Also, I found it massively disappointing that the first guided meditation we had was played on CD. This is something we can all do at home!
However, the people running the place are nice and lovely - though take some medicine with you in case of an upset stomach because they won't cater you for it!

Room Tip: Cabins are nicer than cottages.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Hi

Thanks for taking the time to review and I am sorry you found the food 'tasteless and bland'. We try very hard to serve food that is seasonal, locally sourced, organic and wholefoods and cooked with love. The majority of our guests rave about our food more than anything else. I am sorry this was not your experience.

Regarding the yoga I do not believe that working out or gymnastic style poses are a part of authentic yoga. We teach classical yoga where yoga is about getting the body, mind and breath in alignment. Advanced yoga is the ability to focus the mind. If in any way you think that we gave an impression that our yoga would be different please let me know so I can adjust our marketing.

We are building cabins with large four poster beds for couples this year - I agree - the twins are not great for couples.

Thanks again for taking the time to feedback - if there is anything we can do you remedy your concerns please call me on the number below.

Kind regards

Paul
Owner
02 4573 6080
Also consider these accommodations in or near Maraylya
Spicers Sangoma Retreat
#1 of 2 in Wisemans Ferry
Bingle Tree Retreat
Bingle Tree Retreat
#2 of 2 in Maraylya

Been to Billabong Retreat Sydney? Share your experiences!