“Beautiful, life-changing experience” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Billabong Retreat Sydney

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Maraylya
Billabong Retreat Sydney
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Australia
“Beautiful, life-changing experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 May 2014

I recently went on the Mindfulness Retreat at Billabong. I had no idea what I was in for, went by myself and it was probably the best thing I've ever done. I learnt so much about myself and how to deal with the everyday stress and anxieties of life, and really learnt ways to cultivate self-love, and inner peace through the meditation, talks, and yoga there. Food was amazing!!! Felt completely safe and looked-after, and what I learnt and experienced was exactly what I needed to help turn my life around. :)

• Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
BillabongRetreat, Manager at Billabong Retreat Sydney, responded to this review, 13 June 2014
Thank you so much for your beautiful review! - we really appreciate it and are so happy to hear how you enjoyed your time here. A lot of people come on their own so its great to hear how much you enjoyed your experience. Paul, Tory, Mignon, & Basia.

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (74)
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 May 2014

I booked this retreat as a gift for my wife in April, not really knowing to much what it was all about. When we arrived I was the only male in the group and was surprised (and possibly more scared!) about our yoga/meditation itinerary for the next couple of days. Having a very stressful job and having attempted to mediated in the past with not much success, I decided to be open and take it all in whilst I was there.

I thoroughly enjoyed the retreat and found the instructors to be great. Every class was practised at each individual's pace and they emphasised that if there was an activity or class that we did not want to do, we did not have to do it.

Being a massive meat eater I initially struggled with the vegetarian menu however by the end of the trip my body felt great.

We got the cabin with the outdoor bath and enjoyed waking up in the morning and having a relaxing bath on the verandah. The accommodation was simple and if there was one minor fault, it would have to be our mattresses as they were abit uncomfortable.

However besides that minor part, my wife and I had a great time. The retreat provided us with yoga/meditation techniques to practice back home and up until today, I practice that same technique every morning. Highly recommended

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Yby F
BillabongRetreat, Manager at Billabong Retreat Sydney, responded to this review, 20 June 2014
Thank you so much for your beautiful review! - we really appreciate it and are so happy to hear how you enjoyed your time here. It's great to hear how much you enjoyed your experience and we will look into the mattress. Paul, Tory, Mignon, & Basia.
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 May 2014

Just got home from a few days away with a friend on the mindfulness course at Billabong. Really enjoyed the talks, the food was great and the retreat is lovely, no frills but has everything you need and is very cosy. The staff were friendly and made you feel welcome and the surroundings are magical. I would have liked a bit more movement and yoga thrown in as I felt I was sitting around a lot but am really glad I went and now feel quite relaxed, I will make the things I learned a part of my yoga practice and hopefully will be back at Billabong again soon.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Thank you so much for your beautiful review! - we really appreciate it and are so happy to hear how you enjoyed your time here. Our mindfulness retreats do focus more on meditation then physical asana but we still try to include some classes with physical components. Paul, Tory, Mignon, & Basia.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 April 2014

I needed some time away from the kids and hectic lifestyle, so chose to head to Billabong Retreat for a weekend by myself. I shared a treehouse cabin with someone else, plenty of room and due to all the yoga and space we hardly saw each other. The yoga was varied and you could easily do it as a beginner through to a more advanced student. Meditation was great. There was no pressure to go to the scheduled classes, you could wander around the biillabong or read or sleep all day and no-one would care. The food is awesome! Vegetarian meals of the best quality and I was never hungry! The other people on the retreat are just like you needing some time out, but you could easily sit and chat over tea with everyone if you were keen to get new ideas and experiences. I can't wait to go again! Book a massage too - totally worth it!

Room Tip: Treehouse rooms had the best views, but for the budget harmony house was just as lovely as I didn...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
BillabongRetreat, Manager at Billabong Retreat Sydney, responded to this review, 21 May 2014
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 April 2014

I just spend the weekend at Billabong Retreat and I loved it! The Yoga teachers, the food, the services, the place itself, was everything amazing! Had a quiet and restful weekend.

Highly recommended to go on your own or with some friends.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you so much for your beautiful review! - we really appreciate it and are so happy to hear how you enjoyed your time here. Paul, Tory, Mignon, & Basia.
Tumbi Umbi, NSW
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 April 2014

I returned home yesterday after a beautiful 3 days at Billabong Retreat. I chose to go there as I have been so busy and distracted over the last year, it was time for some time for me. From the moment I arrived, I was taken in with the serenity of the surroundings and how well everything was organised and run. I was a complete novice at Yoga, and thought that the different instructors that we had were all so wonderful. Nothing seemed too hard and they have all given me tools to come home and continue to explore relaxation techniques. The timetable of activities was perfect...with the right amount of chillax in between and the felling that you did not have to participate in something if you didn't want to ... if you wanted to curl up and read a good book instead of doing a relaxation session, you could. Nothing was a drama!

THE FOOD!!!! Delicious, whole foods, plentiful, and lovingly prepared!

THE MASSAGES!!! Divine. Amanda found my sore spots... and now she has worked on them, they are gone!

THE COMPANY!!! A fabulous group of people, all thrown together and hardly anyone knew each other, and we had lots of laughs and conversations around the fire and hope to keep in touch

Thanks to the creators of Billabong for a wonderful place to go and unwind and find some peace.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you so much for your beautiful review! - we really appreciate it and are so happy to hear how you enjoyed your time here! It makes us so happy to know we have created a wonderful place people can unwind and find some peace :) Paul, Tory, Mignon, & Basia.
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 April 2014

I booked this week end as I wanted to enjoy some yoga in a relaxing environment.

I went on my own and was happy to share a cabin. The treehouse cabin overlooked the billabong which was filled with lilies and ducks. Throughout the stay, there was hardly a sound-just trees rustling, the occasional duck and birds. Beautiful

Across the way, I enjoyed a massage in the Balinese style hut. It wasn't the best massage I've ever had, but it helped the relaxation.

The vegetarian meals were simple yet delicious and enjoyed int the communal meals room where everyone mingled over the meal.

The only disappointment for me was that the yoga was extremely basic. It surprised me that just about everyone was a beginner, except for me and one other. Being more than one teacher, the same asanas were repeated making it slightly repetitive. Perhaps the teachers could discuss what they are going to do prior to avoid this.

The only suggestion I have is that perhaps grade the week ends so those wanting more intermediate classes aren't disappointed.

Overall, though, a lovely escape from our usual routine.

Room Tip: I had cabin 6 in the tree house at the end of the track overlooking the billabong. Lovely and quiet...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank lisa m
Thank you so much for your beautiful review! - we really appreciate it and are so happy to hear how you enjoyed your time here. We do make the yoga that we teach here approachable especially for beginners but we are looking into offering an option for more advanced classes in the future. Paul, Tory, Mignon, & Basia.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Maraylya
Grand Mercure The Hills Lodge
The Sebel Resort & Spa Hawkesbury Valley
Spicers Sangoma Retreat
Spicers Sangoma Retreat
#1 of 2 in Bowen Mountain

Been to Billabong Retreat Sydney? Share your experiences!