“Moths and trains”
Review of Pueblo KOA

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Pueblo
Pueblo KOA
Reviewed 4 June 2013

I wish I could rate this KOA above a three, because there were some things I really liked about it. The two things I didn't like about it though were enough to make our stay not as enjoyable.
My husband checked in, and received the key to our camping cabin. We were assigned cabin number four, which sleeps up to five people. We drove to the cabin, parked, and unlocked the door. We immediately saw that the cabin was full of dozens of moths flying around. They were everywhere. My ten year old daughters refused to even enter the cabin with all the moths flying around. My husband and son spent a good fifteen minutes clearing the cabin of all the moths. We checked the cabin from top to bottom and they appeared to be gone. The rest of the afternoon and evening, about every fifteen minutes we'd notice another moth flittering around inside the cabin. At first we thought they were getting in from a crack in the doorway. We soon realized the darn things were actually already IN the cabin: they were in the cracks of the wood paneling. My husband took a flashlight, and he could see them down in the cracks. Luckily our daughters were outside when he checked the cracks, and we kept up the illusion that the moths were coming in from outside. From 2:15 until 4:00 a.m. I could hear at least one moth bumping against the window above my head. The thought of multiple moths maybe landing on me while I was sleeping was enough to keep my insomnia into overdrive. After leaving the next morning, we found a moth in our mini-van. And today, back home in Iowa, I saw one of the same moths in our house! I can only guess it was in one of the sleeping bags.
My second complaint was the loud trains; the track is on the other side of the interstate. FOUR TIMES between 2:15 and 4:00 a.m. the trains went by, blowing their whistles multiple times. It woke me up, my husband, and the kids. We even had the air conditioner on to help block out noises, but it did no good. I could hear the semis on the interstate during the night too, but they didn't bother me like the train.
There were some things I liked. I loved the view of the mountains from our cabin. Beautiful! The front porch with porch swing faces the mountains, which was perfect. The land surrounding the campground is desert land, and pretty. Very windy too, until the sun went down. I saw two jack rabbits in the campground, and a few different species of birds.
The campground has TWO playgrounds, one of them bigger and with fun things like a large slide and a small merry go round. They also have a jumping pillow (additional fee) that my kids had fun on. A basketball court, tether ball, bike rentals, and the pool was tiny but looked clean. They also had an adults only hot tub that I didn't have time to check out.
We ordered pizza from the campground cafe that was good. Pizzas are small; each one feeds two, maybe three people. The employees were all very friendly.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family

Reviewed 23 October 2012

A thoroughly pleasant experience..We camp here every chance we get. The Stowe Family does campground right. The facilities and sites are exactly what an RVer looks for, either as an overnight stop during a trip, or as a destination. We recommend this KOA to any and all who would like to drive down I25 to EX.108 in Pueblo,CO. A footnote : Use Google Maps rather than MapQuest, for the later will get you lost in the desert !

Room Tip: This is a KOA Campground