“Under new management and looking fantastic”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Red Feather Lakes
Beaver Meadows Resort Ranch
Reviewed 18 November 2009

I just went up to Beaver Meadows last weekend and had a great time. The room was clean and beautifully decorated in rustic fashion. The Christmas lights shimmering through the falling snow made it look like a winter wonderland. The food was great and the service was timely. I would highly recommend this place for a weekend getaway, so beautiful and tons of activities to enjoy!

Stayed: November 2009, travelled with friends

Reviewed 11 June 2008

My husband and I just stayed there this past weekend for a wedding in condo #1. It was the worst $149.00/night ever spent. If we would have know how lousy it was we would have drove the 2 hours back home. The check-in people were extremely unknowledgable and didn't even know how to operate the credit card machine.

We were awoke at around 5:30am with the ranch hands from the libery stable next door screaming up the side of the mountain trying to get their horses to come down so folks could ride them. Then when we took a shower there was barely enough hot water to last one shower! The property hasn't been maintained in probably 15 years (peeling paint off the building, our bedroom window wouldn't shut-and it snowed that night, torn up carpet (we stepped on carpet tacks), etc.). There were even locals who were stealing the stacked firewood that was under the stairs! It was just gross all together.

I have to say that the wedding coordinator seemed like she did a good job with what she had to work with.

We were invited to brunch the next morning by the wedding party in condo #2 which was actually pretty nice. Obviously Beaver Meadows had done s-o-m-e upgrading their property from the 60's!

Stayed: June 2008
2  Thank ksullivan152
Reviewed 3 January 2008

Booked a one-night condo stay for our family during Christmas break based on a brochure that made this place look like a winter wonderland. Sadly it failed to come anywhere close to that promise.

Our condo (at $145/night) had numerous issues; it was fairly dirty, with flies (dead & alive), cobwebs, burned out light bulbs, curtain rods held up with rubber bands, etc. At the end of our stay we reported these items to the attending manager, who noted them and offered, "we've had issues with our staff recently".

The tubing hill, although fairly small, was a blast for the kids--at least until the rope tow unexpectedly shut down. No explanation was offered, just that it would probably be fixed by the next day. We had to argue for a while at the gift shop just to get a partial credit (in the form of coupons for our next visit) toward the $28 per person we'd spent.

We tried to eat at the on-site restaurant, arriving at 6 pm with our family of five, only to be told that they only had one person in the kitchen, and that it would be at least 45 minutes before they could serve us. As there was only one other table in the entire place (who had also just arrived), this seemed a little baffling. At least the waiter was kind enough to draw a map to the only other restaurant in the area--about 10 minutes away. Oh, and they weren't open the next morning for breakfast either.

All in all, we were really trying to like this place, but they missed the boat on so many levels that I just can't recommend it. Maybe it's better in the summer, but as it stands, I can't see us ever going back to use those coupons, or if we do, we DEFINITELY won't be staying the night.

• Stayed: January 2008, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank tikiking
Reviewed 2 January 2008

In an nutshell, this is probably a great place to come for a weekend if you live nearby, but if you're spending a lot of money to fly here from out of state, think twice.

We went to Beaver Meadows for a New Year's "retreat" with friends. I had mixed feelings about it. On the one hand, there are some fun winter activities, like a horse-drawn carriage ride, ice skating, cross-country skiing, and an innertubing hill with a rope tow. The staff were friendly, especially the two guys who ran the carriage ride. I will always have nice memories of riding behind the two white horses with their jingling bells, singing Christmas carols with friends.

On the other hand, I was disappointed by the run-down accommodations. We flew there from Oregon, and it was a long way to go to stay in a 1970s-style rental condo with peeling veneer and dirty carpets. We stayed in the condo the first two nights and in one of their two cabins the third night. Since we also had friends in other condos, we got to see several different accommodations. I liked the knotty pine, 1940s-style cabin the best, but it was very small. The condo we stayed in (#7) was much more roomy and had a nice view of the valley, but it lacked the charm of the cabin.

Highlights:
Range of winter activities
Nice selection of cross-country ski routes
Availability of horses for riding or carriage rides
Cute knotty-pine cabins
Friendly staff
Close to Ft. Collins and Denver

Drawbacks:
Excessive fees for every activity (for example, to rent skis for 2 hours costs about $17, PLUS a fee for using their trails). It costs $17 to use the innertubing lift for 2 hours.

Run-down accommodations. For example, the condo had two showers, but only one had any water pressure. The veneer was peeling off the cabinets in the bathroom. Kitchen fixtures were dated and sometimes didn't work. (Broken dishwasher, etc.) Motley selection of cookware, like in most rental houses. In the cabin, the "kitchenette" was a 1940s or 50s combo stove/refrigerator that had a certain rustic charm, but it froze our eggs solid (as with the previous reviewer), and the hi/lo markings on the stove knobs had worn off long ago. The most infuriating thing was that the plastic dustpan in the cabin had a huge hole in it so it could barely be used. How hard is it to replace a dustpan??

Early checkout time. Checkout time is 10:00 a.m., which is really early for a resort. Fortunately they did not seem to care when we checked out late.

And one last thing... the resort "store" has very minimal, dusty, dated merchandise. As a woman who needed some emergency "female supplies," this posed a major problem, almost necessitating an icy New Year's eve drive back to Red Feather Lakes. Women, come prepared.

By the way, the mice that the last reviewer complained about must be gone. We had temperatures below 5 degrees and no mice came to take shelter in the cabin (that we knew of, anyway).

• Stayed: December 2007, travelled with friends
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank Olallie
Reviewed 16 August 2005

A friend and I stayed 3 nights here in mid August. We booked on-line at the Beaver Meadows Resort Ranch and were looking forward to a pleasant break from the summer city blues. The ranch is about 125 miles from Denver on good, paved roads, except for the last 4.6 miles.We reserved Cabin 2, up on the hill for $123.00 per night. In the description it listed a fully modern kitchen with electric stove and oven, refriderator, micro and free Dish TV. The cabin also had a full bath.
The pics on the web site showing the physical location and exterior shots of the ranch and cabins was accurate. The ranch is in a pretty valley with cabins on the hillsides with Aspen and Ponderosa pines. The main accomodation are in the valley fronted by a small, very pretty lake with an arched walkway separating two areas of the lake. Horses running in the fields, green Aspen and pines all around. Very nice. Ok, we arrived and checked in, drove up the hill and as we walked onto the big deck of cabin 2 the first thing we saw should have warned us to turn around and check out ASAP! The wood deck and door entry area was covered in potato chips. Looking over the deck we could see more potato chips scattered on the mountain grasses. There was also a large bag of garbage directly under the deck that was clearly visible and open with garbage strewn about.
The shocks continued for the entire 3 days.
Listed here are all the negatives that we encountered.
No screen door, filthy floors and rugs, mouse droppings in all the corners, under the table and beds. In one corner on the kitchen floor lay a mouse "bait" trap with the bait scattered on the dirty floor. Oh, by the way, I had my little Min Pin Millie with me. Just what I wanted, a sick dog on my hands, The cabin had large picture windows in both the bedroom and kitchen/living areas and the view should have been dramatic and beautiful. It would have been IF you could see throuh the grime, dirt, hand prints, and squashed flies and mosquitos(remember, no screen door). The bathroom had a rigged up shower that did work, but was clearly an afterthought. The bathtub sported 3 large Miller moths that had fossilised and had to be scraped off. The kitched area had an electric stove, a tiny sink (smaller than the 3 dinner plates provided), a "sports" refridgerator that held exactly 2 six packs, 12 eggs and a freezer compartment that held one totally frozen in ice tray. So, I went down to the office to get a fly swatter (none in the cabin), and to ask for someone to come up and clean the cabin. A very nice lady at the reception desk, who had checked us in, tried to find a fly swatter, but she "did'nt think they had any" and suggested we kill the flies and bugs with a newspaper, which she also did not have. When told of the terrible signs of rodent infestation, she cheerfully informed me that "Everybody had mice up here in the mountains" and, "just make sure you don't leave the door open and they won't get in". I must have appeared satisfied with these answers because she went right ahead and promised that "someone will be up to clean the cabin to "my satisfaction" Well.... that was about 3:00pm and we were still waiting for the cleaning crew as we watched the half moon come up through our dirty windows.
We cleaned the place ourselves before we fixed anything to eat. We played some CDs on a player that I brought and then went to bed. Uneasy as we were about mice in the night.
We did get, without asking, a 10% reduction on our final bill. This was given by another woman I had not seen before, because of the "problems" we had. Someone must have told her this, but we did not get an apology. I did fill out their comment card and listed all of the other things that were wrong about our stay. They were, in addition to all the above; the refridgerator FROZE the eggs solid, the oven did not work, the porch light, or the switch were defective, no light to take the dog out in,, the pipe under the mini sink broke on the evening of our last night, making it impossible to wash the 3 plates, and, of course, that LAST night in the cabin.
The first two days were warm and sunny, really great. The 3rd day dawned misty and cold and an all day rain ensued, That night it was downright cold and guess what? The mice decided to come in and get out of the cold! They did not arrive via the front door, as advertized. We had that closed all the time to keep the bugs out(remember, no screen door), so they may have teleported themselves in. I suppose, if had not had my dog with me, I would not have noticed our little furry visitors. I would have been asleep and unaware. However I did have my dog and she kept us up ALL night chasing the mice and growling in an alarming manner. Finally, we gave up and decided to take advantage of the two things that worked in that cabin....the tv and the microwave. While the dog zoomed around the room chasing the now visible little critters, we tried to enjoy popcorn and 3 back to back sci-fi movies on the tube.
At dawn we checked out as soon as the office opened and I will never go back to BMRR underthe present management. The location is wonderful, and I suppose that if you were looking for a real "ruffing" experience, or you don't mind nature in your bedroom and kitchen, you might like it. However, I have lived in Colorado all my life and have stayed in cabins in the Rockies all over the state. I have paid more at some very nice lodges and resorts and I have paid much less at Mom and Pop places that have not been "disneyized" like much of the accomodations in Colorado today. I never stayed in such an unsanitary and unpleasant cabin in my life, and certainly not with a plague of mice to contend with. A well organized and managed cleaning team would have taken care of many of our concerns. This place is only for the adventourous who would do much better to camp out in a tent. Much cheaper as well.

• Stayed: August 2005
35  Thank clive2
Also consider these accommodations in or near Red Feather Lakes
Sundance Trail Guest & Dude Ranch
Sundance Trail Guest & Dude Ranc...
#1 of 3 in Red Feather Lakes
Vista de la Luna Bed and Breakfast
Shambhala Mountain Center
Shambhala Mountain Center
#2 of 3 in Red Feather Lakes

Been to Beaver Meadows Resort Ranch? Share your experiences!