“Fantastic family fun”

Sundance Trail Guest & Dude Ranch
Dubai, Dubai, United Arab Emirates
“Fantastic family fun”
Reviewed 3 October 2013

Visited in one of the last weeks of August 2013 with our 2 children aged 14 and 11. What a fantastic way to spend a week! Arrived in the pouring rain and tremendous storm, so everything was not looking its best when we arrived - lots of mud!! However, when the sun is shining, this is such a beautiful place. Endless trees and views, fresh air, sunshine, hummingbirds outside your window - wonderful. We stayed in a cabin away from the main lodge, which was perfect for a family of 4. Basic and clean and everything functioning. All meals are taken in the beautiful main lodge, so you get to meet and know all the other families and staff really well. The food was sublime - simple homecooked food and lots of it - Kay, you were a star!! Lots of riding on the same horses each day - the horses are very well trained and in lovely condition. You dont have to ride all the time if you do not want to - the itinerary is flexible and the staff very relaxed about what you want to do and when. As well as riding we loved the rock climbing (do not do it blindfold as my eldest daughter did!) and rafting and the chance to shoot on the range. Arena games on the last day is a great way to finish off the week. What really made the week enjoyable was the staff - very friendly and welcoming and above all really good fun. We had a great week at Sundance and I would recommend this for any family with a sense of adventure.

Room Tip: Ask for one of the cabins away from the main lodge for a true wilderness feel!
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank QueenMargarita

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Westfield, Indiana
Reviewed 23 June 2013

Our family visited in early June this year and had a fantastic size. Our large group of 4 families/15 people was easily able to intermingle with the 3 other families there. We loved that we had the same horse all week and were able to form a bond. The activities were abundant and a great mix! They had something for everyone from the most active in the group to the ones who just wanted to pick and choose. My tip: for many who are having their first time on horseback the one day trip looks daunting, but pick it...it was great! The rides out into Roosevelt National Forest are great, but you can also experience rock climbing, bouldering, riding and hiking without even leaving the ranch! I highly recommend this ranch and the experience. We loved it so much all 15 of us are returning in 2 years to do it again! (we had ages 7-62 in our group for reference)

p.s. the food is also plentiful and great!

Room Tip: Many cabins are attached to the main lodge, but two are a bit of a trek. I loved our cabin that was...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank UNC_Indy
Westmoreland, Kansas
Reviewed 14 June 2013

This was our first stay at a guest ranch. We had looked at almost all of the choices in CO over a year before deciding on Sundance. It looked to be more affordable, down-to-earth, inclusive and offered a wide variety of activities. Our stay was great - everything from the plentiful food to the relaxed atmosphere. We enjoyed and appreciated all of the activities. We plan on returning.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Reedcamp
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed 8 May 2013

We stayed in the B&B season (May 2013) with our family and another family. When we arrived they had just had 18 inches of snow and the property was blanketed in snow - just beautful. We loved the hospitality and person service, we all ate together at tables in the lodge. The food was delicious thanks Chad! Our kids were nervous about horse riding and by the third day it was so nice to see them overcome their fears and enjoy it. Thanks Dan and Nick! I loved the fact that the kids could run around and play - wander down to see the foal, head into the rec centre and play games in there and we didn't have to worry about whether they would be safe or not. I also enjoyed not being connected to electronic devices and seeing the kids enjoying not having their electronic devices. There were lots of board games to play, so we spent time playing them with the kids, going on walks over the boulders and just relaxing. The cabins were very roomy and had a really lovely rustic character. Thank you so much for a fabulous 3 days! From the Schwabe family

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Leanne S
Reviewed 8 March 2013

We stayed at the ranch during February 2013 and just had the most fantastic, homely, comfortable stay. We could not have been better looked after.

We enjoyed to lovely riding through the stunning countryside on beautiful, well cared for horses, that we easy and calm.

Even tried a little bit of shooting and spent a lazy afternoon in the hot tub!!

Dan & Ellen offer the warmest of welcome and along with their staff (Marion, Nick, Justin & Ray) looked after us like family, the food was just divine, wholesome, home cooking, we really could not have had a better stay.

It was quite cold there during February, however, the sun shone and wrapped up during our rides through snowed covered valleys made for an amazing experience, we very much hope to return sometime in the future....Thank you all!!

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Smurfy71
DanMorin, Owner at Sundance Trail Guest & Dude Ranch, responded to this review, 16 March 2013
We're so glad that you enjoyed your visit! The staff did not want you to leave, they were having so much fun with you and the horses. Winter riding in the mountains is a completely different experience than summer riding: cold and sunny. I've been told (by a cowboy who NEVER exaggerates) that Colorado has an average of 385 days of sunshine each year! Thank you for your kind words, and until next time, happy trails.
New York
Reviewed 3 March 2013

My family and I visited Sundance Trail Guest Ranch in August of 2012. I researched ranches for a year before deciding on Sundance Trail based on the small number of guests, their philosophy that families should vacation together and the activities available. We were not disappointed. I agree with the other reviews that say it is like staying with family. Family with horses, rifles, whitewater rafting and a place where your children can run, play and explore with no worries. The accommodations were nothing fancy, but were spacious, clean and comfortable. The meals would not satisfy a foodie, but was plentiful and tasty. Maybe stop at Walmart on your way from the airport to get some extra snacks - the cookie jar wasn't enough for my kids. The atmosphere was relaxed and very family friendly, however there is an empasis on safety. Kids can run free, not wild. There was a basic schedule for activities, but was very flexible. If you wanted to do something off schedule all you had to do was ask. If they could accommodate you, they would. Addtional rock-climbing and and horseback riding were a little harder to accommodate because you needed certain wranglers to take you to do it. If it's something you really want to do more of, you should tell them in advance. Most families did everything together. If your family can't agree on an activity, no worries, they will split you up. I never worried about the kids when they weren't with me. My kids went off with the friendly and competent wranglers happily and I was happy to take a peaceful ride without them. One of the highlights of the trip was the whitewater rafting. However, if this is something you want to do, you should ask about when the season is. Usually trips don't run at the end of August as the water flow is not sufficient. Also, tips are not included so bring about $60 (family of 4). You should wear water shoes or shoes that can get wet (no flip flops) and be prepared to change into something you can swim in while in the raft (shoes on!) - leave anything that can't get wet in your car. To sum it up, when Dan dropped us off at the airport, my kids gave him a big hug and cried the whole way into the terminal. Oh and BTW, when the horses are being assigned, if you are a boy under 10 - ask for Oreo.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
6 Thank traveljunkieNewYork
Hi! (This is Oreo,) Thank you for your very kind words! August was indeed an awesome month, because we had a house full of awesome guests and kids!

You're right, we are one of the smallest dude ranches in Colorado. We aim to be very flexible and we believe strongly that families should play together making memories.

And yes, we want those kids to get very tired, very dirty, and even maybe a little sore every day! We "kids-horses" (I am a Peruvian Passofino - Quarter Horse cross, a little closer to the ground than the big guys.) love to watch the children develop skills over the week.Maybe a few will get addicted to horse back riding and come back to work as wranglers, like Alex!

Did I hear that we ran out of cookies? NEVER AGAIN!!! Laura will be back again next summer, and we will be sure that she has everything she needs to keep those cookies coming out of the oven!

Again, thank you for your kind memories. Until next time, happy trails!
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 14 January 2013

First, let me say, I've never written a review like this before but my vacation at Sundance Trail Guest and Dude Ranch was one I'll never forget. I stayed at this ranch over the Christmas holiday 2012 and couldn't have picked a better place. The owners, Dan and Ellen, are the nicest people you will ever meet. The two wranglers I had the pleasure of getting to know, Nick and Marion, took me on some of the most beautiful trail rides in the Roosevelt National Forest and told me a lot about the history of the area. The ranch manager, Justin, was great and very informative about the activities involved in running a ranch. They currently have 40+ horses and there's a lot of work that goes on to keep them in the tip top shape they're in. There's so many activities to keep you occupied such as horseback riding, clay pigeon shooting, hiking, billards, etc., etc. The horses are beautiful, friendly and healthy which was very important to me. My accomodations were clean and cozy and the meals were fabulous. You will never be hungry, that's for sure. What I really enjoyed about this ranch is that it is smaller than many I researched but full of great adventures to keep you busy. It felt warm and friendly because of the owners and their staff. They sit down with you during all meals and you really get to know them and they get to know you. You instantly feel like family. I'm already planning a return trip, or two, this year. I can't say enough about what a wonderful place this is to vacation!! Thanks Sundance Trail for helping me make wonderful memories!!
Your friend, Connie from Atlanta :-)

• Stayed December 2012, travelled solo
7 Thank ConnieT62
Aw, shucks, Miss Connie, you (and Miss Deb) were so much fun! You're right, being small allows us to get to know you, and allows us to be flexible in scheduling and activities. Connie, you and your "cheese head" buddy from Wisconsin made this a delightful Christmas! Happy Trails until next Christmas! P.S. Wrangler Marian just left to visit her... ahem... "friend" in South Africa!

Been to Sundance Trail Guest & Dude Ranch? Share your experiences!