“Unfair booking practices”

Rico Hotel Mountain Lodge
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Rico
Reviewed 12 June 2012 via mobile

On hotels.com the rate for a room with 2 queen beds was the same for 2 adults as it was for 2 adults plus 1 child. Priceline also had same rate for same room, but could not select number of people. Booked room through Priceline because of lower booking fees. When we arrived, surly owner demanded additional $25 for our 9 yr old daughter. I tried to explain what the online sites said but he just kept quoting the hotel policy which is disregarded if you book on hotels.com and not mentioned if you book on Priceline. He would not refund my money. He did however say he would knock it down to $20 if I paid in cash. I paid it because I had to. Hotel smelled funny, lots of late night noise, and bait and switch by owner. No thank you. This was the only hotel out of 8 that we stayed in on a Colorado-Utah road trip that was unfriendly and unfair.

• Stayed: June 2012
4  Thank havegunnwilltravel

Reviewed 3 June 2012

We've stayed here for two nights and the moment we arrived at the hotel, i was dumbstrucked by the appearance of the hotel. The frontage is not well trimmed with overgrown trees and bushes. I thought the hotel is already closed actually. We entered at the side door and saw this closed,unattended reception area, I thought that we've been riffed off because we pre-booked our stay but the hotel already been closed. out of nowhere, a man appeared and we showed him our booking. He processed our stay at the hotel in a very COLD treatment manner and he don't even make an effort to give information about the area (where's nearest resto or something about Rico). Actually, our destination is Telluride but we found this hotel offering affordable rate and its within driving distance from Telluride anyway. We been booked to a room just right in front of the reception area and man, you can hear every sound within the hallway, every creaking of the wooden floor, every convef\rsation that the other guest(?) and the receptionist made. Yes, Rico is very much a quiet town but not the hotel! I had a long driving time that day and I'm expecting a quiet room but its not! I even thought of leaving the hotel that night, minding not that we already paid our stay. Worst, my wife developed an bronchial allergy (its an old hotel with wooden structure, probably treated already) and this experience almost ruin our vacation in this scenic, prestine mountain get-away....I promise, i will never think anymore of coming back to this hotel and I will not recommend it to anyone....

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank RoadRunner206
Reviewed 30 May 2012

My boyfriend and I stayed here for a couple of nights to explore the area around Telluride. We enjoy unusual, off-the-beaten-path experiences, and the Rico Hotel was exactly that. This is definitely not a place to stay if you are looking for a fancy, chain-hotel type place - it is quirky, unique and homey. The staff were very friendly and the hotel (which feels more like a bed-and-breakfast) is very clean, but the accommodations are basic and the guest room we stayed in was fairly small. We enjoyed the unusual artwork, the rustic setting, the comfy bed and the fantastic home-cooked breakfasts. We also ate at the attached restaurant one evening and the food and service were excellent (Bill, our server, could not have been friendlier or more courteous). They also welcomed our dog for a small extra nightly fee. Overall, an incredibly pleasant experience and one we will remember fondly. Also note that the hotel is about a 20-30 minute drive to Telluride, depending on conditions and roadwork (but the drive itself is very scenic, so we considered it a bonus). Not much going on in the town of Rico so if you are looking for nightlife you may want to consider staying in Telluride itself - but we wanted a more quiet, out of the way location. Especially considering how reasonable the room rates were, we thought it was perfect!

Room Tip: Basic guest rooms are small - not much room to move around. But we weren't planning to spend a l...
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank raisingruckus
Reviewed 6 April 2012

My husband and I along with our 1 year old stayed here and it was great. Great little town with really amazing food. We were 1 of 2 couple to stay the night and woke to an amazing home cooked breakfast. Worth the price of the room just for the breakfast. Cant wait to stay again

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank FlagFamily3
Reviewed 14 February 2012

Three of us just spent a great get-away weekend at the Rico Hotel, Feb 10-12, 2012. We booked the third floor suite and it met our needs perfectly, to the quality of the beds, the complete kitchen, large bathroom and great views. And the Argentina Grill serves unbelievably good food and service, in a rustic, charming setting. With the same quality food, a full breakfast is served in the large lobby, replete with a roaring fire and comfortable tables and large sofas and chairs.
A mountain road drive, 25 mins. north to Telluride, makes this a perfect place to "do"
Telluride and avoid the crazy crowds and noise of the town.
Totally recommend this as a whim day trip and evening or part of a tour of the Rockies.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank Jan R
Reviewed 4 February 2012

We travel every year to the USA from the UK staying at inexpensive motels/hotels and usually quite satisfied.The only comparison with the Rico
is the inexpensive bit.An exceptional hotel and such a relaxing place to stay. The best inclusive breakfast eaten in an old fashioned lounge with a log fire and people talking to each other.The 30 min. drive to Telluride for the skiing was pleasant and there was easy parking there .Ate evening meal at the hotel and again exceptional fine dinning at cafe prices.

Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank kelvin n
Reviewed 22 January 2012

We traveled to Rico in June 2011 and because of the Rico Hotel, we are making plans to return in a few months. My husband found the Rico Hotel while looking for places to stay close to Telluride. We had the third floor apartment that had a bedroom, living room/kitchen, and bathroom. It was plenty of space and a gorgeous view of the summer mountains. The rooms were spotless! But the best part was the breakfast each morning. Fresh fruit, breads, breakfast casserole, coffee and juice. And the owner happens to be a world-renowned chef who left the fast paced life to settle down in this quiet town. The restaurant connected to the hotel is worth saving your pennies for. The service is outstanding as well. I have a much more detailed report on my blog with pictures of the rooms and meals. If anybody is looking to visit the Telluride area, consider the Rico Hotel.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank KatrinaRuns

Been to Rico Hotel Mountain Lodge? Share your experiences!