“Cozy Mining Lodge with great food!”

Rico Hotel Mountain Lodge
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Rico
Reviewed 12 July 2012

The restaurant is amazing! If you stay here, eating dinner at The Argentine Grill is an absolute must. The filet is to die for.... The rooms are small, but they are cozy and clean, and the sign on the back of the hotel says it was established as a miners bunkhouse in 1925, which adds to the rustic mountain experience. Definitely will come back again, and will recommend both the hotel and restaurant to our friends and family.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Melody S

Reviewed 10 July 2012

The location is great but do not get a room downstairs. The hotel is very old and the floors creak real loud when people are walking. I asked to be moved to a quieter room and he wanted to charge me more to be moved upstairs. The room was hot June 30th so we had to open the windows, no air conditioning, but they also own a restaurant in the hotel that had open windows. It was loud so we could not sleep until 3:00 am or so. The restaurant has great food but I think the owner spends more time with the restaurant being good then the hotel and the comfort of the guests. We had to ask for a fan for the room the second night, twice, but it was still loud. We checked out one night early and the owner said he does not give refunds. We left anyways.

Room Tip: Upstairs rooms at the end of the hall away from the restaurant or the living room may be better. Bri...
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Tina L
Reviewed 4 July 2012

We did not book ahead but noticed the hotel as we drove through town. The hotel was not full and we did not have that tiny room others mention. We had no problems with noise, though we thought we might, it being an older building. Our room was very nicely decorated and clean. The restaurant was outstanding, as good as most upscale restaurants in Boulder, but not as expensive. Breakfast in the hotel lounge was one of the best I have ever had, and it was included in the cost of the room. The staff was friendly and helpful.

To the reviewers who thought the rooms were small and/or noisy, I suggest sticking with the major chains. Of course you're not going to have a large room and generous sound insulation in a historic building.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Pru N
Reviewed 4 July 2012

I was really looking forward to staying at this hotel, it sounded like it would be a really interesting place. The food at the Argentine Grill was good, but the service was lacking for sure.

The hotel was terrible, the rooms are very small, smaller then a room in a camper! The bathroom door could not open with out hitting the bed. The person that runs the hotel is very disorganized and not very friendly at all. If you are a light sleeper you do not want to be at this hotel, you can hear everything that is going on in the entire hotel, dogs barking, people laughing, babies crying... the restaurant. The breakfast was the same every single day and nothing special. You will not eat or get coffee before 8:00 so if you are on a schedule you will have to miss it. There is a coffee shop with in walking distance that is very good and open @ 6:30. I would go there and did!

I would skip this place and pay a little more and go to Delores or Telluride.

Room Tip: Get the most expensive room the cheap ones are very small.
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
4  Thank MaxRicMyner
Reviewed 27 June 2012

Horrible service...we had to wander the hotel and go in to the restaurant to find someone to check us in. We had booked the room online, but had to pay extra for 2 children, even though it was not stated before, and we were using the same area, no cots, etc. Heard everyone that wandered in late from inside and outside. It was definitely NOT worth the money we spent on the room. The owner was the crabbiest, surliest, most unfriendly man I have ever come across in that kind of business. SAVE YOUR MONEY!

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
4  Thank Luv2Trvl2365
Reviewed 22 June 2012

Note: The electricity had been out earlier in the day which may have affected some of the things below and we didn't have a prior reservation.
We saw this along the road after a long drive and got the last room. It was definitely cozy, like being on a cruise ship (not much larger than the queen bed in the room). You couldn't open the bathroom door all the way because it hits the bed.
The hotel has retained the historic look, breakfast is great, but our room had what appeared to be doggie kibble on the floor by the bed, the heater didn't seem to kick on (though under the covers, we were warm enough), used soap was in the shower, and there was hair on the light switch. Be aware, the walls are paper thin. We could hear every conversation in the lobby and the gentleman snoring next door.
It has a ski lodge/dorm feel. The food is definitely worth the trip. Based on the smells in the hallway, we wished we had arrived in time for dinner. Hate to say anything negative since we were grateful for a room, just expected more based on the reviews on TripAdvisor.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank G_K09
Reviewed 20 June 2012

The best hotel in Rico . . . Of course it is the ONLY hotel in Rico. My room was tiny- barely large enough for the queen size bed. I'm not really hard to please (I frequent Motel 6's)- but this room was not worth the $80 I paid for it. The bathroom looked like it belonged in an RV- a small RV! Plus, there were no towels. I asked a staff member for one and he informed me that he did not work in housekeeping and the house keeper would be in an hour or two. Thankfully, I had a towel with me. Rooms come with a breakfast, but I was not able to take advantage because I had to get an early start and they didn't start serving until 8:00. The common area us really nice with a stone fireplace and nice comfy sofas- has a really mountain lodge feel to it. Unfortunately, the hotel is right on the highway and my room was up front, so I heard every vehicle that pulled through town. Just didn't feel like I got good service and value for my money.

• Stayed: June 2012
3  Thank Whitewaterman
Also consider these accommodations in or near Rico
Circle K Guest Ranch
#1 of 1 in Placerville
The Hotel Telluride
The Hotel Telluride
#1 of 11 in Telluride

Been to Rico Hotel Mountain Lodge? Share your experiences!