“No Swimming?”
Review of Ridgway State Park

Ridgway State Park
Ranked #2 of 17 things to do in Ridgway
More attraction details
Owner description: Park that has a little bit of everything, from camping and boating to hiking and fishing.
Reviewed 23 July 2014

This is a great lake to kayak in and the swim beach is nice. We have not camped here, but all the campsites are far from the water, which makes it a pain if you have kayaks etc that you don't want to leave unattended while you go back to the camp for a meal. Swimming in the swim beach only. Why? I called and could get no explaination. I got fussed at by a park ranger (they are a pain here) because my kids hoped out of the kayak and were wading in knee-deep water! I see houseboats there with slides that go into the water and skiing is allowed (you have to get into the water to ski) but no swimming? Yes, the water is cold, but it feels great in 90 degrees!

1  Thank ccdking
"follow the rules"
"fifth wheel"
"cow creek"

Reviewed 21 July 2014 via mobile

We stayed 8 days in elk ridge and loved it. Lots of spAce for your site plus electric. The reservoir has a nice swimming area with a soft bottom. Lots of little walking and biking trails. The laundry facility was very nice. We booked it 6 months in advance. You so have to pay an additional daily charge so we bought a yearly pass. Fishing was very good as well. The scenic overlook was great for sunsets

1  Thank katebrymom
Reviewed 19 July 2014

Just came back from a 4 night stay at Ridgway State Park. Would definitely stay here again.

Pros: Restrooms were nice, very clean, nice large campsites for a 36' 5th wheel RV, many walking and biking trails, fishing ponds close by, also fishing available on the river, swim beach by the dam, beautiful views, no traffic noise, close to Ouray and Montrose. Make sure and visit the Ouray Hot Springs

Cons: Only 30 amp service available. Also, if you are staying during the summer bring your mosquito spray!

2  Thank Kathy T
Reviewed 18 July 2014

I stayed in Ridgway with the intention of spending my visit exploring the attractions in Ouray, Ridgway's neighboring town. However, Ridgway was a beauty in itself. My boyfriend and I stayed in a walk-in campsite on the rim of a canyon and had a breathtaking view of the beautiful reservoir. The walk-in campsites all have beautiful views, but the camp hosts said ours was the best view and we couldn't agree more! ...and the hosts were very congenial. They loaned us extra tent stakes and we enjoyed getting to know them and their adorable dogs.

You can spend a good deal of time in Ridgway State Park without needing to venture further for beautiful sites and things to do...but as a bonus, the town has many exciting activities, restaurants, bars, etc. to offer and Ouray, another charming town, is right next door!

3  Thank joansc47
See more reviews
Reviewed 18 July 2014

we stayed in c loop of the campgrounds at ridgway. Our campsite was great. It was a walk in, which we are usually skeptical of doing, but it was worth it because our campsite had an awesome view of the reservoir. We had bathrooms very close, and the showers were walkable, but we usually drove to them on the way out for the day.

I can't say we spent a whole lot of time at this park, although there was a pace to swim and fish and hiking trails. we did go to the Orvis Hot Springs which was an awesome experience. It was so relaxing, and it was such a non-judgmental environment. I loved the people of Ridgway. Also, if you camp or stay here, you must go to Ouray. we did a jeep tour there and we also explored some bars and restaurants. Such a great vibe there and the people are so passionate about their great city. I'm already planning my trip back next summer!! And I went a lot of different places on a cross-country road trip. If I had to pick, this was my favorite place.

2  Thank Cooper V