“Chipeta is a great place for chillin'”

Chipeta Solar Springs Resort & Spa
Ranked #1 of 2 Ridgway B&B and Inns
Reviewed 31 October 2007

This is review is admittedly a bit late, but the good memories remain. I had the pleasure of staying at the Chipeta Sun Lodge in March of this year on business. Our organization got good rates on its rooms because March was (I think) considered off-season.

The lodge has a wonderful view of the nearby mountains. If you're travelling with teenagers, take note of this - there's a skatepark just steps away from the front door! The staff, though rather young, seemed to work well together and seemd to all be "multi-taskers," working the front desk, restaurant, spa, etc.

I must confess I was a bit taken aback by the lack of TV in my room (no Law & Order? AAAAAH!), but this turned out to be a blessing in disguise, as I was able to really relax and hear myself think. The robes provided were nice and soft and I took full advantage of them when I used the hot tub, etc. Orvis Hot Springs is nearby, which I also enjoyed thoroughly (with clothes on, tee hee!).

The highlight of my stay was dinner at the on-site Ache restaurant. They are pricey, but I was on an expense account, so what the hey (thanks, boss!). I thoroughly enjoyed my pumpkin soup and goat cheese salad, served by the chef personally. The wine was delicious and they had a singer/pianist who complimented the place's intimate atmosphere perfectly.

The proprietors of Ache also provided banquet services for our organization's various functions. I think they might have less experience in this arena as the dinner the next night tasted like it had been under a heat lamp too long & dishware for the next morning's continental breakfast was a bit mish-mash. The meeting facilities themselves though were beautiful - not your typical sterile banquet room!

The lowlight of my stay was the massage I had. Well, the massage itself was great, provided by a young man who worked part-time as a jeep tour guide. The "lowlight" came after it was over, when I told him to look me up if he ever came round my hometown. He had the nerve to make a derogatory comment about my town! I'm sorry, but when you're in customer service, you keep your opinions to yourself.

Would I come back to Chipeta again? In a heartbeat!

• Stayed: March 2007, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank K-Bot
There are newer reviews for Chipeta Solar Springs Resort & Spa

Reviewed 5 September 2007

Stayed in one of the most expensive rooms, The Canyon De Chelly, which left a lot to be desired. This is the only room I have ever stayed in where there is no full wall separating the sleeping area from the bathroom. What good does a bathroom door do if the wall between the bathroom and the sleeping area is not all the way up to the ceiling? That may be too much intimacy for some. There also was very poor lighting throughout, the room was in some disrepair and the overall service also left a lot to be desired in terms of getting things corrected. The only good thing about this property was it's proximity to Telluride, Ouray and The Black Canyon of the Gunnison National Park which is not to be missed.

• Stayed: July 2007, travelled as a couple
3  Thank carlybaby1
Chipeta_Managment, Management at Chipeta Solar Springs Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 20 November 2007

It is correct that the Chipeta Sun Lodge is in a prime location between Ouray, Telluride and Montrose, giving our guests the best of all worlds in Western Colorado. Our Canyon DeChelly room is our “Honeymoon Suite” which is requested on a regular basis by return guests. It has a queen size bed, a two person spa bathtub with steamer, a gas log fireplace and a private hot tub that is on the rooftop of the room overlooking the entire valley and San Juan Mountain Range. The views from inside the room are magnificent as well with windows framing the southern mountains. The architecture is more rustic with stucco walls. As far as the walls not reaching the ceiling, the room was designed this way by the architect to cut down on the amount of energy we are using by having an open space throughout the room. The Chipeta Sun Lodge and Spa is dedicating its future time into becoming a Green Hotel.

Reviewed 27 July 2007

We booked here because it is near our son's place in Ridgway and this was our first visit to the area. Our son said it was a nice place. For us this did not hold true. Although the Lodge is attractive our room was small, very hot with no ventilation and I had to climb a winding stairway which was difficult because I use a cane. I had to laugh because there is handicap parking but no provisions otherwise. Our room was very small and dark (painted green) with dim 40 watt light bulbs. As stated in previous reviews, there were no windows to open for fresh air and no cooling system in the room. Perhaps they should have had a sign that said 'Senior Citizens are not welcome." It sure felt that way. We visited their restaurant for breakfast (Not free, $12.00 was the minimum) and were forced to sit outdoors even though we would have preferred not to. We were told the inside was being set for dinner. This at at 9:00 AM. The eating counter was wet and had a dead fly on it. At this point we only ordered coffee and tea and my tea was luke warm. Did not dine there again. With this property you are locked in to paying for the duration and cannot get your money back. Otherwise we would have sought out someplace else to stay the week. It was way over-priced! Beware before you book.

• Stayed: July 2007
6  Thank fortnight
Reviewed 6 July 2007

While it doesn't look like much as you're coming up the road, this inn is really quaint and lovely. The lobby offers several seating areas and refreshments (lemonade, tea, cookies) for guests.

There is a nice outdoor lap pool with comfy chairs and tables. There were plenty of "noodles" for the kids to use in the pool. The hot tub has great views of the San Juans.

We had a one bedroom suite. No complaints there - it was nicely appointed and arranged and very comfortable for 2 adults and 2 kids. There was a cute little raised double bed in the living area for the kids. The bedroom with queen bed was small but comfortable. There was a nice deck outside our door with a table and chairs. The kitchen served us fine; however the bathroom was a standout. A huge shower/tub with a big skylight.

There is a small restaurant, which is open for breakfast and dinner. The breakfast was good, and the drinks (especially the margarita) were great.

Now the but,....
While I would highly recommend the facility itself, the service was very strange. It seemed as most of the people that used the pool were locals and most of the people staying there were friends or somehow connected to the owners. We felt like we were the unwelcome guests to their summer home. While I can deal with indifferent service, a couple people were just plain obnoxious. For that reason, I chose not to do the spa, although it looked very nice.

Ridgeway itself is very laid-back and "mountainy". It was a good place to take treks to the Black Canyon and Ouray. There were a few interesting restaurants within walking distance with friendly service and good food.

• Stayed: July 2007, travelled with family
5  Thank franceforthememories
Reviewed 18 June 2007

We just retuned from a weekend stay at Chipeta. I was disappointed. It is not everything it appears to be. From their advertisment, and pricing of their rooms, I expected a very nice, clean, well maintained Inn. Chipeta is average at best, and there were many problems with the hotel. First, it was advertised on their brochures to INCLUDE a buffet breakfast, but they NO LONGER provide this.(no reduction in room pricing) Second, it is NOT air conditioned (at least our 2 bedroom condo was not), and it is very Hot here in the summer. The temperatures were near 90 (above average for June). Third, it is pet friendly, but the pet rooms are on the third floor, no elevator, and the stairs are sharp metal (snow stairs). You can carry your small pet up, but larger dogs hurt their pads climbing these stairs. Fourth, the rooms were not maintained well, broken and non working items (shades, light switches, etc...) and cleaning could be better. This looks like an average place to stay for ski season, but as far as a summer vist - no. Very over priced.

• Stayed: June 2007, travelled with family
4  Thank Arapahoetravel
Reviewed 31 July 2006

We stayed at the Chipeta Sun Lodge and Spa in mid-July, and like another reviewer below, we stayed in the Loghill room. Perhaps since we visited in mid-July, we paid only $95/night through the hotel's website. Of note, however, they charge a $10 resort fee (not per day) which is embedded in to the "tax" calculation and which thus makes it appear that you are paying absurd tax rates.

LOCATION: We chose the lodge on the basis of its proximity to both Ouray and Telluride. Both my wife and I had visited Ouray previously and we wanted to try something different. In addition, we had already planned on heading to Telluride and didn't want to pay the exhorbitant rates. Ridgway is ideally located at the "fork in the road" between these two cities. Ouray was a short, 15-20 minute drive, while Telluride was double that. While the hotel has ski packages in conjunction with Telluride, visitors may find the drive too long and perhaps, too busy, during the high winter season.

ROOM: The room was very nicely decorated in a rustic, southwest style, and had a nice balcony with a shaded view of the hills. The lodge is at the end of a street (currently) in a residential neighborhood. Because of the roof overlying the balcony and the balcony of the adjoining room, the Loghill room receives modest afternoon light. The room faces west so it doesn't receive direct natural morning sunlight. As someone below pointed out, the bathroom doesn't have exhaust fans but I don't see why that matters (perhaps in winter). We were there in mid-summer, and I prefer to take cool showers. Our room also had a wet bar with a small refridgerator and sink. We used it to cool our water for the following day's hike.

Of note, the website allows you to choose from a number of different rooms. Our room did not have a TV but we didn't find that a problem. In order to get a room with a TV (all the TVs have digital cable or direct TV), you needed to upgrade to something more expensive and we weren't interested. There is a large flat screen TV in one of the common areas downstairs and it's open and available 24 hours a day.

Beyond that, the "Courthouse Room" is directly opposite the Loghill Room on the top floor. It is facing east and thus receives much more natural light. Furthermore, there no trees outside the balcony which makes for some sweeping vistas. The Mears Room is directly below the Loghill Room and is quite similar although not quite as large.

The only rooms I would AVOID are the Ouray Room and the Chipeta Room. These rooms do not have any outside windows. Their "outside" windows face south and open to the lodge's large solarium windows facing the front of the building. Thus, you don't have any access to outside air and there is no balcony. The rooms are all well appointed, but not having an outside window is one of my "pet peeves." In addition, the hallways outside these rooms are often used, so you may feel the need to keep the blinds shut to afford some privacy. Finally, these rooms sit just above the breakfast area, which \may be a bit noisy in the early morning if you aren't an early riser. Surprisingly, they were the same cost as the Loghill room.

SPA: My wife had a 1 hour massage in the Spa which she said was terrific. The massage ran us $75. The spa has a strong local following. It seemed to me that the area tends to attract folks in the holistic and "integrative" medical community. The spa offers a broad range of classes tha you might find in any local health club (primarily yoga and mind-body based rather than sweating to the oldies type stuff). It also has a sauna and steam room that's free for anyone using the spa (and I think hotel). We aren't the holistic medical types, and we thought that the other guests represented a good mix of alternative medicine types and "average" tourists.

BREAKFAST: Was very good! Each morning they had a large amount of fresh fruit, juices, granola, cereals, bagels and english muffins and some sort of hot entree, typically eggs and hash browns. In addition, they were willing to make pancakes and eggs to order. As it stands, the breakfast is easily an additional $25-30 value. The hash browns weren't spectacular but since it's supposed to be a continental breakfast, I wasn't expecting much. Also, they have fresh juice, iced tea, and lemonade available throghout the day along with some fresh cookies.

ENVIRONS: Ridgway is a two street town. There's not much going on there, but then, that's the point. We were surprised at the amount of construction in the neighboring areas, particularly Montrose. Apparently the area is expanding due to a large number of retirees flooding the area. It's not hard to understand why.

FOOD: We are mexican food junkies and we at at the Adobe Inn. We both thought the food was EXCELLENT. If you like mexican food, especially with a native american/southwestern influence, then you shouldn't pass this place up. The corn epazote is worth the visit in and of itself.

Overall, the value of the Chipeta Lodge is what garners it five stars. For $140/night, as someone else paid below, it would still be the same excellent lodge, but I would probably give it a solid 4 stars.

ENJOY YOUR STAY!

• Stayed: July 2006, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
7  Thank MDTrekker
A TripAdvisor Member
Phoenix
Reviewed 25 November 2005

Between the views, the private hot tub on our balcony and the beautiful spa, this was the best way to see Colorado. The staff was great and ready to help in anyway. The property had just been upgraded and we hear they are adding on a restaurant this spring. We will be back to try the newest addition to this Colorado getaway.
Thanks for everything.

Stayed: October 2005
4  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ridgway
Ridgway-Ouray Lodge & Suites
Adventure Inn Durango
#2 of 33 in Durango
Homewood Suites by Hilton Durango
DoubleTree by Hilton Durango

Been to Chipeta Solar Springs Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!