“Rejuvenating getway”

Ranked #1 of 2 Ridgway B&B and Inns
Knob Noster, MO
“Rejuvenating getway”
Reviewed 6 January 2008

My husband and I just got back from spending our New Years' vacation at Chipeta Sun Lodge. We have stayed at Chipeta a few times in the past and decided to splurge on a Kiva Suite for our holiday stay. It was so relaxing to be able to sit in our hot tub and look at the snow covered San Juan mountains! Our room was beautiful, roomy and private. On this trip my husband and I visited the spa. We had a couple's massage, and it was so wonderful! Our massage therapists were very friendly and seemed to be very skilled.

We were pleasantly surprised at the addition of the restaurant, Ashe. It was so nice to have a restaurant on site. We felt that the prices were very reasonable considering the high quality of food that was served.

In addition to having a relaxing vacation, we hit the slopes for the first time in Telluride. The skiing was great, the snow wasn't iced over, perfect powder. We were fortunate enough to get free lift tickets with our reservation, making our day that much more enjoyable!

As always, the entire staff was helpful and accomodating from the time I made our reservation to the time we checked out. The front desk staff, housekeepers and even the management were always ready and willing to answer any questions about the area and give us ideas on activities for the day. We are really hoping to make another trip to Colorado and stay at Chipeta again soon!

• Liked — The peaceful location, spa and the staff
  • Disliked — nothing, we keep returning
  • Stayed December 2007, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Jess_Jon

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (65)
Louisville, Kentucky
Reviewed 25 December 2007

My daughter and I booked 5 nights at the Chipeta Sun Lodge. We rented a condo, so that we could have a kitchen and a separate bedroom. The accommodations were very nice, clean and comfortable. We were there at Christmas time, so having a fireplace and whirlpool/steam bath was really great. The area was absolutely beautiful, covered in white, powdery snow and surrounded by snow-capped mountains. We loved having a gym to work out in every morning. Most of the classes had been canceled and the pool, which was outdoors, was closed.

Our first disappointment was the spa, not the treatments themselves, but the prices! I had a special "ayurvedic" facial.The cost was $120!. The therapist was good, but the treatment, itself, left a little to be desired, especially the part where they dripped oil all over my forehead and hair for 10 minutes. It took many washings to get the oil out and to get my hair back to normal. The massage I really wanted was $175, so I switched to the 50 minute Chipeta massage for $80, which turned out to be ok.

The next disappointment was the Ashe Restaurant, at the Chipeta Lodge. The owner is the chef. And the food was pretty good , but not worth the $240 it cost us. I did not order anything to drink; my daughter had a couple glasses of wine. We had Cornish Game Hen, with salads. The stuffing in the birds was like hard clumps of damp bread and the gravy was bland and way too thick, the yams on the side were good. We shared dessert and I had coffee, which was pretty bitter. All in all not a bad meal, but certainly not worth $240.

Ridgeway is charming and Telluride and Ouray are beautiful. We loved the area, don't think we'd go back to Chipeta.

• Liked — Our condo and the area
  • Disliked — The several flights of stairs to our room
  • Stayed December 2007, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank KeepingBusy77
Chipeta_Managment, Managment at Chipeta Solar Springs Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 6 January 2008
Chipeta Sun Lodge and Spa is a beautiful location surrounded by the snow peeks of the San Juan Mountain Range in the winter. Our Spa offers an array of different treatments, one of which is the Ayurvedic Facial which fuses Ayurvedic principles and western anti-aging technology. Time honored herbs grown and harvested in the foothills of southern India and organic essential oils are used to bring balance to your skin. While the facial is working you can have a Shirodara treatment which is a traditional East Indian treatment which deeply conditions the scalp and hair using herbal infused oil. This treatment is optional with our facials. Our spa prides itself in using the finest products in the county which leads to more expensive treatments. We are not a simple day spa, we strive for luxurious relaxation. As a full service spa there is a plethora of other treatments available ranging from $50 to $175, being the most expensive treatment on our menu. All treatment prices are clearly advertised and posted. When a customer requests one of the most expensive treatments they are well aware of the price before the treatment begins. Our Restaurant was having a special dinner for Christmas which was a five course dinner. Generally Ashe Restaurant entrees are priced from $12 to $32 per plate, this special in particular was advertised for $67 per person for those who wanted to eat at Ashe for Christmas Dinner. Ashe also has a vast wine selection with bottles of basic wines to more expensive bottles for a more sophisticated taste. This customer in particular ordered a bottle of wine which was priced at $100 per bottle but was discounted for that night at $70 per bottle. All of our wine prices are clearly displayed on the wine list and confirmed before the bottle is opened. They certainly could have ordered a more affordable wine for the occasion. Often times there is buyers remorse when extra fun has been had, but we do not question our customers wishes when they ask for a product, we deliver. We here at the Chipeta Sun Lodge and Spa pride ourselves in exceptional customer service as every member of our staff is dedicated to exceptional guest satisfaction.
Evanston, Wyoming
Reviewed 31 October 2007

This is review is admittedly a bit late, but the good memories remain. I had the pleasure of staying at the Chipeta Sun Lodge in March of this year on business. Our organization got good rates on its rooms because March was (I think) considered off-season.

The lodge has a wonderful view of the nearby mountains. If you're travelling with teenagers, take note of this - there's a skatepark just steps away from the front door! The staff, though rather young, seemed to work well together and seemd to all be "multi-taskers," working the front desk, restaurant, spa, etc.

I must confess I was a bit taken aback by the lack of TV in my room (no Law & Order? AAAAAH!), but this turned out to be a blessing in disguise, as I was able to really relax and hear myself think. The robes provided were nice and soft and I took full advantage of them when I used the hot tub, etc. Orvis Hot Springs is nearby, which I also enjoyed thoroughly (with clothes on, tee hee!).

The highlight of my stay was dinner at the on-site Ache restaurant. They are pricey, but I was on an expense account, so what the hey (thanks, boss!). I thoroughly enjoyed my pumpkin soup and goat cheese salad, served by the chef personally. The wine was delicious and they had a singer/pianist who complimented the place's intimate atmosphere perfectly.

The proprietors of Ache also provided banquet services for our organization's various functions. I think they might have less experience in this arena as the dinner the next night tasted like it had been under a heat lamp too long & dishware for the next morning's continental breakfast was a bit mish-mash. The meeting facilities themselves though were beautiful - not your typical sterile banquet room!

The lowlight of my stay was the massage I had. Well, the massage itself was great, provided by a young man who worked part-time as a jeep tour guide. The "lowlight" came after it was over, when I told him to look me up if he ever came round my hometown. He had the nerve to make a derogatory comment about my town! I'm sorry, but when you're in customer service, you keep your opinions to yourself.

Would I come back to Chipeta again? In a heartbeat!

• Liked — Peace and solitude, spa services
  • Disliked — Tactless masseur
  • Stayed March 2007, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank K-Bot
Pembroke Pines, Florida
Reviewed 5 September 2007

Stayed in one of the most expensive rooms, The Canyon De Chelly, which left a lot to be desired. This is the only room I have ever stayed in where there is no full wall separating the sleeping area from the bathroom. What good does a bathroom door do if the wall between the bathroom and the sleeping area is not all the way up to the ceiling? That may be too much intimacy for some. There also was very poor lighting throughout, the room was in some disrepair and the overall service also left a lot to be desired in terms of getting things corrected. The only good thing about this property was it's proximity to Telluride, Ouray and The Black Canyon of the Gunnison National Park which is not to be missed.

• Liked — Proximity to areas of interest
  • Disliked — Lack of desired privacy, very poor lighting, overall condition of room.
  • Stayed July 2007, travelled as a couple
3 Thank carlybaby1
Chipeta_Managment, Management at Chipeta Solar Springs Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 20 November 2007
It is correct that the Chipeta Sun Lodge is in a prime location between Ouray, Telluride and Montrose, giving our guests the best of all worlds in Western Colorado. Our Canyon DeChelly room is our “Honeymoon Suite” which is requested on a regular basis by return guests. It has a queen size bed, a two person spa bathtub with steamer, a gas log fireplace and a private hot tub that is on the rooftop of the room overlooking the entire valley and San Juan Mountain Range. The views from inside the room are magnificent as well with windows framing the southern mountains. The architecture is more rustic with stucco walls. As far as the walls not reaching the ceiling, the room was designed this way by the architect to cut down on the amount of energy we are using by having an open space throughout the room. The Chipeta Sun Lodge and Spa is dedicating its future time into becoming a Green Hotel.

Chicago Area
Reviewed 27 July 2007

We booked here because it is near our son's place in Ridgway and this was our first visit to the area. Our son said it was a nice place. For us this did not hold true. Although the Lodge is attractive our room was small, very hot with no ventilation and I had to climb a winding stairway which was difficult because I use a cane. I had to laugh because there is handicap parking but no provisions otherwise. Our room was very small and dark (painted green) with dim 40 watt light bulbs. As stated in previous reviews, there were no windows to open for fresh air and no cooling system in the room. Perhaps they should have had a sign that said 'Senior Citizens are not welcome." It sure felt that way. We visited their restaurant for breakfast (Not free, $12.00 was the minimum) and were forced to sit outdoors even though we would have preferred not to. We were told the inside was being set for dinner. This at at 9:00 AM. The eating counter was wet and had a dead fly on it. At this point we only ordered coffee and tea and my tea was luke warm. Did not dine there again. With this property you are locked in to paying for the duration and cannot get your money back. Otherwise we would have sought out someplace else to stay the week. It was way over-priced! Beware before you book.

• Liked — nothing
  • Disliked — having to climb the stairs and the dark hot stuffy room
  • Stayed July 2007
6 Thank fortnight
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed 6 July 2007

While it doesn't look like much as you're coming up the road, this inn is really quaint and lovely. The lobby offers several seating areas and refreshments (lemonade, tea, cookies) for guests.

There is a nice outdoor lap pool with comfy chairs and tables. There were plenty of "noodles" for the kids to use in the pool. The hot tub has great views of the San Juans.

We had a one bedroom suite. No complaints there - it was nicely appointed and arranged and very comfortable for 2 adults and 2 kids. There was a cute little raised double bed in the living area for the kids. The bedroom with queen bed was small but comfortable. There was a nice deck outside our door with a table and chairs. The kitchen served us fine; however the bathroom was a standout. A huge shower/tub with a big skylight.

There is a small restaurant, which is open for breakfast and dinner. The breakfast was good, and the drinks (especially the margarita) were great.

Now the but,....
While I would highly recommend the facility itself, the service was very strange. It seemed as most of the people that used the pool were locals and most of the people staying there were friends or somehow connected to the owners. We felt like we were the unwelcome guests to their summer home. While I can deal with indifferent service, a couple people were just plain obnoxious. For that reason, I chose not to do the spa, although it looked very nice.

Ridgeway itself is very laid-back and "mountainy". It was a good place to take treks to the Black Canyon and Ouray. There were a few interesting restaurants within walking distance with friendly service and good food.

• Liked — The views
  • Disliked — The staff
  • Stayed July 2007, travelled with family
5 Thank franceforthememories
Littleton
Reviewed 18 June 2007

We just retuned from a weekend stay at Chipeta. I was disappointed. It is not everything it appears to be. From their advertisment, and pricing of their rooms, I expected a very nice, clean, well maintained Inn. Chipeta is average at best, and there were many problems with the hotel. First, it was advertised on their brochures to INCLUDE a buffet breakfast, but they NO LONGER provide this.(no reduction in room pricing) Second, it is NOT air conditioned (at least our 2 bedroom condo was not), and it is very Hot here in the summer. The temperatures were near 90 (above average for June). Third, it is pet friendly, but the pet rooms are on the third floor, no elevator, and the stairs are sharp metal (snow stairs). You can carry your small pet up, but larger dogs hurt their pads climbing these stairs. Fourth, the rooms were not maintained well, broken and non working items (shades, light switches, etc...) and cleaning could be better. This looks like an average place to stay for ski season, but as far as a summer vist - no. Very over priced.

• Liked — The bed was comfortable
  • Disliked — Over priced and no air conditioning
  • Stayed June 2007, travelled with family
4 Thank Arapahoetravel
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ridgway
Ridgway-Ouray Lodge & Suites
#9 of 15 in Ouray
The Hotel Telluride
The Hotel Telluride
#1 of 11 in Telluride

Been to Chipeta Solar Springs Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!