“Great value!”

Ranked #1 of 2 Ridgway B&B and Inns
Cortez, Colorado
“Great value!”
Reviewed 22 August 2008

We just returned from a wonderful 2 night stay. We stayed in a 1 bedroom condo, that was excellent. Beautifully decorated and very well maintained. The unit was on the 3rd floor and right next to a little creek, it was so relaxing to go to sleep with the sound of the creek. We enjoyed a wonderful evening at the roof top bar, where they had a wonderful singer and guitar player, she was great! We also ate breakfast at the restaurant, the food was outstanding! The grounds to the property are very well maintained and the views of the mountains are beautiful. We are already planning to go back in the fall.

• Stayed August 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank northfork02

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (69)
Grand Junction, CO
Reviewed 8 August 2008

We had the most wonderful and peaceful weekend at the Chipeta Sun Lodge.

Our room was so comfortable and cozy. Had our own hot tub on our deck looking towards the majestic San Juan Mountains.

The restaurant food was incredible and our couples massage at the spa was much more than we expected. We were so relaxed we couldn't believe it.

What really impressed us was that every single employee that took care of us acted as if our wants and needs were the only thing that mattered. They were all so very pleasant and accomodating.

We can hardly wait for our next trip to the Chipeta Sun Lodge.

• Liked — Every comfort was taken care of.
  • Disliked — We coudln't stay longer.
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank lmullen
Glenwood Springs, CO
Reviewed 23 June 2008

Spent one night here. The room was large but there was NO AIR-CONDITIONING. The thermostat on the wall said it was 83 degrees in the room, and that temperature didn't change. It was miserable. Even with the door and windows open it was still hot. Also the curtains on the two windows were useless, they didn't block out the light nor offer any privacy inside the room. The light bulbs and windows were covered in spider webs, and it looked like there was mold growing on the ceiling. The "couch" and chair were uncomfortable and useless. We could hear our upstairs neighbors too well. And our view was of a giant electrical transformer and dusty field of weeds. The TV was tiny but at least our room had one because there is NOTHING to do in Ridgway in the evening - they roll up the sidewalks at 5pm. And not that this is the hotel's fault but the volunteer fire department siren from hell went off at midnight for 15 minutes and it sounded like it was right next to the hotel. I would not stay here again if for no other reason than the lack of air-conditioning.

• Liked — The pool looked nice
  • Disliked — NO AIR CONDITIONING!!!!!
  • Stayed June 2008, travelled on business
3 Thank Brian G
Auckland, New Zealand
Reviewed 9 April 2008

We stayed in a 1 bedroom condo for 3 nights while visiting Ouray and Telluride. Ouray and Telluride are nice places to visit, Ridgway doesn't have anything unless you're into art galleries.

The room we had was not worth the price, and could have been cleaner. The Lodge sits at the edge of town with a basketball court, soccer field, and empty fields next to it. The Lodge has a pool, hot tub, gym, and spa facitlities (with fitness classes such as yoga). The place may be worth the cost if you use all the spa facitlities.

There was a small TV in the lounge that requires two remotes (one for TV and one for sattelite). We only had one remote, I told the front desk and the cleaner about it, but nothing happened. Not a big deal, but would have been nice for the cost of the place.

Had a full kitchen which was nice. Had wireless internet which was good. Bed was comfortable.

The shower/tub had some jets in it which we didn't use - there was grime around some of the jets. The bathroom was generally clean, but a dead fly hanging from the shower ceiling, clumps of dust in the corners and don't look too closely at the toilet.

There's oranges, apples, and coffee available in the lobby.

We used the market on the mainstreet, and the staff were friendly and suggested options for dinner.

• Stayed April 2008
1 Thank AucklandMillar
Knob Noster, MO
Reviewed 6 January 2008

My husband and I just got back from spending our New Years' vacation at Chipeta Sun Lodge. We have stayed at Chipeta a few times in the past and decided to splurge on a Kiva Suite for our holiday stay. It was so relaxing to be able to sit in our hot tub and look at the snow covered San Juan mountains! Our room was beautiful, roomy and private. On this trip my husband and I visited the spa. We had a couple's massage, and it was so wonderful! Our massage therapists were very friendly and seemed to be very skilled.

We were pleasantly surprised at the addition of the restaurant, Ashe. It was so nice to have a restaurant on site. We felt that the prices were very reasonable considering the high quality of food that was served.

In addition to having a relaxing vacation, we hit the slopes for the first time in Telluride. The skiing was great, the snow wasn't iced over, perfect powder. We were fortunate enough to get free lift tickets with our reservation, making our day that much more enjoyable!

As always, the entire staff was helpful and accomodating from the time I made our reservation to the time we checked out. The front desk staff, housekeepers and even the management were always ready and willing to answer any questions about the area and give us ideas on activities for the day. We are really hoping to make another trip to Colorado and stay at Chipeta again soon!

• Liked — The peaceful location, spa and the staff
  • Disliked — nothing, we keep returning
  • Stayed December 2007, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Jess_Jon
Louisville, Kentucky
Reviewed 25 December 2007

My daughter and I booked 5 nights at the Chipeta Sun Lodge. We rented a condo, so that we could have a kitchen and a separate bedroom. The accommodations were very nice, clean and comfortable. We were there at Christmas time, so having a fireplace and whirlpool/steam bath was really great. The area was absolutely beautiful, covered in white, powdery snow and surrounded by snow-capped mountains. We loved having a gym to work out in every morning. Most of the classes had been canceled and the pool, which was outdoors, was closed.

Our first disappointment was the spa, not the treatments themselves, but the prices! I had a special "ayurvedic" facial.The cost was $120!. The therapist was good, but the treatment, itself, left a little to be desired, especially the part where they dripped oil all over my forehead and hair for 10 minutes. It took many washings to get the oil out and to get my hair back to normal. The massage I really wanted was $175, so I switched to the 50 minute Chipeta massage for $80, which turned out to be ok.

The next disappointment was the Ashe Restaurant, at the Chipeta Lodge. The owner is the chef. And the food was pretty good , but not worth the $240 it cost us. I did not order anything to drink; my daughter had a couple glasses of wine. We had Cornish Game Hen, with salads. The stuffing in the birds was like hard clumps of damp bread and the gravy was bland and way too thick, the yams on the side were good. We shared dessert and I had coffee, which was pretty bitter. All in all not a bad meal, but certainly not worth $240.

Ridgeway is charming and Telluride and Ouray are beautiful. We loved the area, don't think we'd go back to Chipeta.

• Liked — Our condo and the area
  • Disliked — The several flights of stairs to our room
  • Stayed December 2007, travelled with family
1 Thank KeepingBusy77
Chipeta_Managment, Managment at Chipeta Solar Springs Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 6 January 2008
Chipeta Sun Lodge and Spa is a beautiful location surrounded by the snow peeks of the San Juan Mountain Range in the winter. Our Spa offers an array of different treatments, one of which is the Ayurvedic Facial which fuses Ayurvedic principles and western anti-aging technology. Time honored herbs grown and harvested in the foothills of southern India and organic essential oils are used to bring balance to your skin. While the facial is working you can have a Shirodara treatment which is a traditional East Indian treatment which deeply conditions the scalp and hair using herbal infused oil. This treatment is optional with our facials. Our spa prides itself in using the finest products in the county which leads to more expensive treatments. We are not a simple day spa, we strive for luxurious relaxation. As a full service spa there is a plethora of other treatments available ranging from $50 to $175, being the most expensive treatment on our menu. All treatment prices are clearly advertised and posted. When a customer requests one of the most expensive treatments they are well aware of the price before the treatment begins. Our Restaurant was having a special dinner for Christmas which was a five course dinner. Generally Ashe Restaurant entrees are priced from $12 to $32 per plate, this special in particular was advertised for $67 per person for those who wanted to eat at Ashe for Christmas Dinner. Ashe also has a vast wine selection with bottles of basic wines to more expensive bottles for a more sophisticated taste. This customer in particular ordered a bottle of wine which was priced at $100 per bottle but was discounted for that night at $70 per bottle. All of our wine prices are clearly displayed on the wine list and confirmed before the bottle is opened. They certainly could have ordered a more affordable wine for the occasion. Often times there is buyers remorse when extra fun has been had, but we do not question our customers wishes when they ask for a product, we deliver. We here at the Chipeta Sun Lodge and Spa pride ourselves in exceptional customer service as every member of our staff is dedicated to exceptional guest satisfaction.
Evanston, Wyoming
Reviewed 31 October 2007

This is review is admittedly a bit late, but the good memories remain. I had the pleasure of staying at the Chipeta Sun Lodge in March of this year on business. Our organization got good rates on its rooms because March was (I think) considered off-season.

The lodge has a wonderful view of the nearby mountains. If you're travelling with teenagers, take note of this - there's a skatepark just steps away from the front door! The staff, though rather young, seemed to work well together and seemd to all be "multi-taskers," working the front desk, restaurant, spa, etc.

I must confess I was a bit taken aback by the lack of TV in my room (no Law & Order? AAAAAH!), but this turned out to be a blessing in disguise, as I was able to really relax and hear myself think. The robes provided were nice and soft and I took full advantage of them when I used the hot tub, etc. Orvis Hot Springs is nearby, which I also enjoyed thoroughly (with clothes on, tee hee!).

The highlight of my stay was dinner at the on-site Ache restaurant. They are pricey, but I was on an expense account, so what the hey (thanks, boss!). I thoroughly enjoyed my pumpkin soup and goat cheese salad, served by the chef personally. The wine was delicious and they had a singer/pianist who complimented the place's intimate atmosphere perfectly.

The proprietors of Ache also provided banquet services for our organization's various functions. I think they might have less experience in this arena as the dinner the next night tasted like it had been under a heat lamp too long & dishware for the next morning's continental breakfast was a bit mish-mash. The meeting facilities themselves though were beautiful - not your typical sterile banquet room!

The lowlight of my stay was the massage I had. Well, the massage itself was great, provided by a young man who worked part-time as a jeep tour guide. The "lowlight" came after it was over, when I told him to look me up if he ever came round my hometown. He had the nerve to make a derogatory comment about my town! I'm sorry, but when you're in customer service, you keep your opinions to yourself.

Would I come back to Chipeta again? In a heartbeat!

• Liked — Peace and solitude, spa services
  • Disliked — Tactless masseur
  • Stayed March 2007, travelled on business
2 Thank K-Bot
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ridgway
Hot Springs Inn
Hotel Ouray
Hotel Ouray
#2 of 15 in Ouray
Box Canyon Lodge & Hot Springs

Been to Chipeta Solar Springs Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!