“LOVE it and views are magnificent!!”
Review of Last Dollar Road

Ranked #3 of 16 things to do in Ridgway
Ripley, Ohio
47 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 58 helpful votes
“LOVE it and views are magnificent!!”
Reviewed 31 May 2013

When in Colorado we try to do as many "back" roads as we can and Last Dollar Road is one we do everytime we can. It's not too rough, has beautiful aspen groves, and the views are unbelievable A great road to get you to beautiful Telluride!!

Visited May 2013
3 Thank DebbieAdkins

Waxahachie, Texas
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“Some of the best scenery in Colorado”
Reviewed 22 February 2013

We've been there twice in the fall as the Aspens were turning, and this road has some of the most beautiful scenery anywhere. You'll also pass the homestead used in the original True Grit. At the "Y," go right onto Saw Pit Road to further your adventure, especially if you're not in a 4-wheel drive vehicle. Last Dollar to the left goes to Telluride and isn't for 2-wheel drive.

1 Thank mr_gokart
Texas
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 16 helpful votes
“The most beautiful road in Colorado”
Reviewed 6 November 2012

Last Dollar Road comes south from Hwy. 67, west of Dallas Divide. It turns left toward Telluride, but you need 4-wheel-drive for that section, so you can stay to the right and continue onto Sawpit, which will take you just west of Telluride. It has the most beautiful scenery I've ever seen, and you can see the remains of the homestead from the original True Grit movie on the west side of the road.

2 Thank Business_Traveler105
Dallas, Texas
73 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 157 helpful votes
“Beautiful Scenic Drive out of Telluride Towards Montrose”
Reviewed 1 November 2012

This back-country road allows for two-wheel vehicles with reasonable ground clearance to enjoy the mountain scenery normally reserved for more rugged drives. Be wary, however, if the weather is wet - you could get stuck!

Visited August 2012
3 Thank Lon B
Memphis, Tennessee
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 28 helpful votes
“A MUST if you can! The highlight of our trip!”
Reviewed 8 October 2012

The Last Dollar Road is one of the most beautiful scenic drives I have ever experienced. If you are staying in Telluride or Ridgeway and have a capable vehicle, you MUST travel the Last Dollar Rd! We started our drive from Telluride one morning, and arrived in Ridgeway just in time for lunch. This drive can be done in 2-3 hours, but you will want to allow at least 5-6 hours because you will be wanting to stop each mile for pictures! There are SO many incredible photo opportunities! My husband and I were stopping every 5 minutes because we just couldn't get enough of the breathtaking views. We timed our visit just right because the aspens and fall foliage were at it's peak. I would say that fall must be the best season to experience this drive. The colors are amazing!! We had perfect weather during out visit (no rain yay!) So the road was dry and easy to travel. However, there were a few spots (only 2 or 3) with large holes still filled with water. These intimidated us, but my husband got out and checked before trying to drive through each one. We had a vehicle with all wheel drive so that helped. If it has been raining a lot and you do not have a 4-wheel drive, you may not be able to travel the entire road (at least from the Telluride end) That is where we encountered all the holes. Also, there is one section of the road where you are driving along a cliff (kinda scary to me, but maybe that is because I was on the passenger side haha) Besides, I hear that the Million Dollar Highway and Red Mountain Pass are much scarier! Check out some of my pictures I have posted with this review and you will see why the Last Dollar Road is a gem you don't want to miss!

7 Thank DiscoveringParadise

Been to Last Dollar Road? Share your experiences!