“I want my steak still mooing!!”
Review of Jays steakhouse

Jays steakhouse
Ranked #4 of 43 Restaurants in Rifle
Price range: US$0 - US$30
Dining options: Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: At Jay's our goal is to serve you with the best quality meats & seafood in the valley!
Reviewed 13 November 2013 via mobile

I was very satisfied with the quality of food & drink. 3 small complaints however... The atmosphere was a little lame. The small dining area in a shopping center left for a crowded feeling & just lots of dinner convos on top of each other. 2nd the glass table top & the plates did not mix. My party of 4 were chasing our plates all around the table just trying to eat! Finally was the biggest offense to all of us carnivores from Wyoming (myself & 3 coworkers) and that was that all 4 of us ordered different cuts of meat & all 4 of us ordered it cooked with some combination of medium or rare in our order but the rarest steak served to our table was medium-well on a good day (he ordered it rare). Although I would classify my steak as overcooked it still had good flavor & we all loved our sides. Would visit again but would order my steak with more explicit instructions!

Reviewed 12 November 2013

Jay's has very good steaks. Food is a bit pricy considering the atmosphere is between a family bar and an upscale restaurant. It should be one or the other.

1  Thank Mike D
Reviewed 28 September 2013

My girlfriend and I along with a friend of ours went to Jay's for lunch today. Walking through the door it looked like a pretty nice place. When we entered we were the only people there, besides the employees, surprisingly enough it took a little bit of time before we were seated. The restaurant was pretty clean and well layed out. I excused myself to the restroom which was clean and well kept, but had a decent amount of flies in it, not just one or two, but a dozen or so. That in and of itself is not toatlly disturbing, except for the fact that the bathroom doors are directly across from the kitchen entrance. I returned to the table and as we were looking throught the menus there was a fly or two buzzing around our heads at the table. We are not overly critical or demanding people so we really didn't pay much attention to them other then to tease our friend who the flies had taken a particular interest in. The service was somewhat slow for being the only people there, but the fact that we were in no big hurry and doing alot of talking amongst ourselves didn't make that a big problem, but if you were in a hurry it definatley could be a problem. We finally ordered our food and it took a pretty good amount of time for our food to be prepared and served, again, we were the only diners in the restaurant. The staff seemed pretty busy and talkative amongst themselves within the kitchen. When our food arrived it looked pretty good and decent portions. Well at first glances, the waitress had brought out two plates and set them down and went back for the third plate for our friend. Much to our surprise the plate placed in front of my girlfriend had a problem, it was not easily missed and all but smacked you in the face. My girlfriend ordered the Rueben sandwhich and fries, right on top of the fries and all but blinking like a neon sign was a cooked fly. How this was missed in the kitchen or by the waitress escapes me, it took about 0,5 seconds for me to see it from across the table and even less time for my girlfriend to see it right in front of her. When the waitress returned with the third plate I asked for my girlfriends plate to be taken back and new food cooked for her. The waitress took the plate, with no show of surprise for what was laying right there on top, and returned to the kitchen. Just a couple of minutes later she returned with the plate minus the fly, again there was no mention by the staff about any problem with there being a fly in the food, almost like it was such a common occurence it should be expected. The amount of time she was gone was to short of a time for the entire plate to be redone, but it truly was just the fries that had the problem. Our friend and I were not entirly sure if we were going to eat our own fries or not. We all ate as much of our respective plates as we were able and waited for the check to be delivered. Not that it was expected, but much to our surprise there was no adjustments made to the bill for the food mishap. I do not expect anybody to get down and beg forgiveness or to comp an entire meal for that sort of thing, but the complete apathy that was displayed for the fly in the food was disturbing. The food was average at best and definately does not make up for the staff's indifference to the patrons. We won't be returning to Jay's and definately will not recommend it to any of our friends.

3  Thank Timothy Y
Reviewed 28 September 2013

There always has to be one....the worst...and this was it. We went here based on recommendation from hotel manager (Hampton Inn). The atmosphere is a little dark, but we were seated quickly by a friendly waitress...who then promptly forgot about us. I ordered the drunkin chicken which was supposed to be roasted and then served with bbq sauce. It arrived very undercooked; inedible. Husband had only soup and salad. When the bill arrived we were charged for a few things we did not order and it took 2 people and 3 attempts to get it almost correct. They did deduct 20% of the cost of the raw chicken. Stay away.

1  Thank lovinitaly
Reviewed 24 September 2013

We went in to try it out for a special occation. The service was slow. Steak was over cooked, & small for the price. Salad was just a pile of lettuce on a plate.
But, the worst part of all was the sandwich for my daughter was burnt to till it was a solid black. When we commented about it they took away the plate and returned later with another sandwich. But, the new plate was missing the fries that were on the first plate that had been taken away.

It is like they just didn't care about the kids meals and just wanted to sell the over priced steaks.

Don't bother stopping here if you have kids.

2  Thank bubba2244