“Great way to experience Colorado!”

Granite Mountain Outfitters
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Trail Rides or Horseback Rides 1 hour Horseback Rides, 2.5 hour Horseback Riding, 1/2 day Trail Rides,/. "A Ride of a Lifetime" Granite Mountain Outfitters horses are gentle and are suited for beginner to experienced riders. We look forward to giving you a ride of a lifetime, experienced guides, responsive horses and fabulous country! Native mountain horses are sure-footed and allow for a western experience of scenic mountain views, wildflowers and wildlife. Horseback rides or trail rides are guided and specialize in scenic rides with personalized attention. From novice to expert we will match the horse, the rider, and the group to each rider's ability. An ideal group size is no more than 4-6 horses; however, larger groups are catered to on an individual basis. Riding helmets are available for children and adults at no charge and are ASTM-SEI approved. The rides leave at 8700ft riding to 10,000ft viewing the Sangre de Cristo's, San Lewis valley, historic Mt Ouray & the Collegiate Peaks. A short driving distance from the Buena Vista and Salida area. We ride with pride and have a ton of fun!
Dodge Center, Minnesota, United States
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Great way to experience Colorado!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 November 2013

I have owned horses and ridden my entire life, but living in MN gives very little opportunity to ride in the mountains. My boyfriend suggested a "dude ranch," which was an idea I didn't relish, but after all the hiking we had planned, I really wanted to just enjoy CO from the saddle with the trail between my horses ears.. I'm so glad we chose Granite Mountain Outfitters! The horses were well-cared for and the owner and the guide we had we obviously very knowledgable. We opted to do the private half-day ride and I will say I was a tad disappointed when I saw our rides-- two mules! But those girls had me eating my words in about thirty minutes! They were fabulous and sure-footed and both had lovely personalities.

At the very end of our ride, my boyfriend's ride suprised us all by taking off towards the trees for an unknown reason and my boyfriend (who I would classify as an confident beginning rider) lost his seat. That's what the waiver they have you sign is for though and of course we understand the risks of being around and riding horses, even the best can be unpredictable. Our guide handled the situation well, since I'm sure its one they rarely have.

I would recommend that people who are experienced with horses or couples spring for the private ride.. Definitely worth it, I thought. This experience was one of the most enjoyable things we did in Colorado and we would both recommend it and plan on visiting again some day!

Visited August 2013

Salida, Colorado, United States
“So good the first time, we went back!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 November 2013

Such a great time. Took the sunset ride with owner, just amazing views. Horses were excellent and the conditions for the ride could not be any better.

Visited October 2013
Istanbul
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Best Colorado Horseback Ride We've Had”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 September 2013

We're a Boulder family, middle aged parents, 15 year old boy and 13 year old girl, that has taken many horseback rides around Colorado. This half-day trek was the best. Evelyn was delightful and helpful, the ride went through beautiful Aspen groves up to views of the San Luis Valley, and the horses were really good. Very highly recommended.

Visited September 2013
Ruston, Louisiana, United States
“Great Ride!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 September 2013

We had a great ride in late July. Randy and Evelyn were great...very interesting and full of information and spirit!

Thanks again and hello from all six from Louisiana!!

Visited July 2013
Norman, Oklahoma
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Highly recommended!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 September 2013

All 3 in my party enjoyed this ride immensely. We chose the 2.5 hour ride and it was perfect for us. The guide was very nice and knowledgeable about the area. The ride wasn't too difficult, and the view from the top was breathtaking.The horses were also wonderful - - even for the end of the summer :) Next time we visit Colorado we will be back at Granite Mountain Outfitters for another ride!

Visited August 2013