“Quirky cabins with friendly staff”
Review of Mountain Motel

Mountain Motel
Ranked #6 of 16 Hotels in Salida
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 19 May 2014

Our "log cabins" are quite well equipped with kitchen, bedroom and lounge partly divided by low walls. The couch converts into another double, although there wouldn't be any privacy. The bathroom is small with a shower and toilet and situated off to the side. Because of the wood finish everywhere the room is a little dark, but this snag is largely unavoidable with the style of the property. The kitchen is reasonably equipped and includes a coffee maker and there are washers and driers on site which can be used for a reasonable charge.
The property is right next to a liquor store and close to a 7-11, but apart from that the rest of town is a bit of a walk with little street lighting or walkways.
The owners are friendly and you can park right outside your unit which is convenient.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 19 May 2014

We are a young military family in the middle of a transfer. I called this motel to inquire availability and rates today. The man who answered appeared to be the owner/manager. He made assumptions about what I thought without good reason and caused loss of my business. I asked my usual questions for pricing options. The price he quoted seemed pretty competitive so before moving forward with booking the room I asked if he offered any military discount. Instead of just answering my politely asked question, he went on to explain (not so politely) how he had already highly discounted my room. So I responded "ok, so you don't?" He rudely "welcomed" me to search for something lower if his price wasn't low enough. This would not be as much of an issue if I was prying and complaining for a lower rate. However, I thought his price was fair and I was simply asking a normal question. Many business are proud to offer discounts to military families and not offended by this common question. Had he answered my question with, "no we do not have any other discounts to offer", I would have not been upset (some places do and some do not- no big deal) and I would have still considered booking the room. My staying there was not contingent on if I got a discount or not. I simply asked as anyone would ask. I may end up paying more for a room tonight, but it will be booked somewhere with a welcoming and kind staff. I hope this helps staff here make assumptions about potential guests. I had high hopes for this place and would have been happy to stay based on other reviews.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank Josh-Elizabeth A
Reviewed 16 May 2014

My husband and I wanted to take a little weekend getaway, but didn't want the usual chain style hotel. We found this little charming place and it was just perfect for what we wanted. When you fill out the reservations online, they ask you to list the cottage and room choices you would like. I picked two cottages and one room thinking we would get one of them. To my dismay, we didn't get any of them. I was a little upset at first because the room we ended up with, although very nice, didn't quite have the "boutique" feel I was looking for. Once the (very kind and patient) owner explained to us that our reservation was a little last minute and that was all he had, we decided to stay. I am so glad we did! The beds were so comfortable, the bathroom roomy and even though our room didn't have a kitchenette (microwave and fridge though), there were actual dishes, flatware, glasses and coffee mugs. We even had a full size coffee pot, filters and coffee! The place was full our first night there, but we didn't hear any of the other guests. It was charming, peaceful and quaint. Oh, and pet friendly as well which was quite the bonus!

If you are looking for room service, high prices and snotty staff, this is NOT the place for you. If you are looking for a family owned, unique and comfortable place with hosts that will make you feel like family, then by all means, book a room or a cottage.

We loved our short stay here and are planning on making this a weekend getaway destination for the future.

Room Tip: If you want a cottage, book early!
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 May 2014

We stumbled across this wonderful little motel the night before we left on our trip! We were planning on driving straight from Fort Collins to Mesa Verde, but decided to get a head start the night before and drive to Salida. I found Mountain Motel due to TripAdvisor. I called a few different hotels to get rates and MM also had a special rate on TripAdvisor for $65 for a room. I thought that was a great rate. We were really just looking for a decent place to lay our heads down for a few hours, as we were going to get up early and leave the next morning to head the rest of the way to Mesa Verde. What we found was much more than that! Ira runs the place and he's the one who took my reservation.

I kept in touch with him the night we were arriving, as we hit some really bad weather and it took a lot longer than expected. He said it was no problem and he waited up late for us. We were so exhausted and thankful for the room once we finally arrived.

We stayed in #5. It was a very good sized room with two beds, a chair, a table/chairs, microwave and fridge. The beds were VERY comfortable with the MOST comfortable sheets on them! All three of us agreed that they were heaven the next morning, as they made my husband sleep in late, when he is normally up at the crack of dawn!

I would not call Mountain Motel: a chain, boring, plain, or standard.

I would call them: funky, unique, hospitable, comfy, and just all around outstanding!

Ira was already up and waiting for us to check out, since I'd told him we'd be up early, but really didn't end up being up so early, because the beds were too comfy! He let my daughter grab a bit handful of candy from the jar in the check in/out area.

We would definitely go back! It would be a great home base area for exploring and doing lots of fun things! Go check them out!

Room Tip: The rooms have a little back patio that would be nice to hang out on when the weather is nice!
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 12 May 2014

I've stayed at Mountain Motel during a couple business trips to Salida within the last 6 months. Both times it's been a breeze working with Ira – he's super helpful and accessible if I needed anything. If you're looking for a convenient, clean and accessible place to stay in Salida, you'll be very happy with your choice of staying at Mountain Motel. Plus, if you're a dog person, you'll love meeting Ira's dog Belle – she's a sweetie.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 9 May 2014

I needed a hotel room for 1 night that allowed pets. I was in town for a knee surgery appointment. Ira was very helpful with all of my questions. The room was super clean, comfy, and close to all of my needs for the next day. My friend forgot her personal keys in the room while checking out. Ira called the hospital and got a note to my nurses. Our drive home was 6 hours, would have been a real bummer if we did not have those keys when we got home! I will stay here again when in the area! Ira & Belle are great!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 7 May 2014

My partner & I stayed here for 2 nights on our way to Durango. The motel is close to Highway 50, a little noisy. We rang the bell & waited a little while for the owner to arrive. We were shown to Chalet 3 which was a little dark due to the stained timber walls & ceiling, small kitchen area, tiny bathroom. Laundry facilities which was nice. On closure inspection the floor in the chalet wasn't that clean behind the bed or under the chest of drawers, curtains need a wash & updating. Not good for walking into town as no or few sidewalks. Good places to eat close by as well as mini golf.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple